NRA 2005 Annual Meeting and Exibits in Houston April 15 - 17

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
dws1117
Posts in topic: 2

NRA 2005 Annual Meeting and Exibits in Houston April 15 - 17

Post by dws1117 »

Anyone planning on attending? Myself and a friend are trying to get a group together to go.

Has anyone attended one of these in the past? What are they like besides crowded? What can one expect?
Last edited by dws1117 on Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paladin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Paladin »

I certainly plan on being there. Never been to one before. My coworker's dad is traveling all the way from CA to be there.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

GlockenHammer

Post by GlockenHammer »

I want to know if the George R. Brown is posted with 30.06. Wouldn't that suck to have an NRA convention and be denied our right to carry? Anybody know the correct 30.06 status of the GRB for this event?

Walter

Post by Walter »

I attended the one in Dallas in, I believe, 1996. "Concealed Carry" was
a new law, only in effect for a few months. I did run across a few people
who already had their licenses, though.

Just about any and every company associated with firearms has a booth.
They give away a lot of little goodies, (keychains, target stickers, etc),
and it is a lot of fun. A lot of nationally known firearms writers for the gun mags were there. I seem to remember Grits Gresham, in particular.

A whole lot of it is just a big networking session for the firearms companies and their customers and employees. I requested and received tickets to the concert they staged one night. Toby Keith opened for Mark
Chesnutt. Not a bad bill. And the tickets were free.

The only downer was that the Dallas Convention Center had the
"NO FIREARMS" signs posted about every five feet. Like I said, CCL
was new in Texas, many people were not sure about the laws, maybe even the city of Dallas. Or maybe the "powers-that-be" in Dallas decided to take advantage of peoples' ignorance and "post" the place just because they could. Who knows?

Anyway, we had a heck of a good time, and I would encourage everyone
who can, to GO!

Walter
ps. Be sure and take your NRA membership card and sign in, so that you
get all the benefits NRA members are entitled to.
CHL holder
TSRA Life Member
NRA En. Life Member

sensei

Post by sensei »

I'll be there some at least. Whenever I can get away.

I think GRB does have 30-06 signs.

sensei

one eyed fatman
Banned

Post by one eyed fatman »

GlockenHammer wrote:I want to know if the George R. Brown is posted with 30.06. Wouldn't that suck to have an NRA convention and be denied our right to carry? Anybody know the correct 30.06 status of the GRB for this event?
From what I've heard it might as well be posted. I was told you could not carry in the recent gun show they just had at GRB.

JohnWayne

Post by JohnWayne »

Wouldn't the 30.06 signs not mean anything since the GRB is a government-owned (by the City of Houston) bulding that is not otherwise off limits? Reference SB501 passed a couple years ago.

Jeff

GlockenHammer

Post by GlockenHammer »

JohnWayne wrote:Wouldn't the 30.06 signs not mean anything since the GRB is a government-owned (by the City of Houston) bulding that is not otherwise off limits? Reference SB501 passed a couple years ago.

Jeff
Excellent point there, Duke. Any TX attourneys around here want to take a stab at this? I don't see why the GRB would be any different than a library.

With respect to gun shows, I don't know if there are any special laws that govern "live" weapons at them or whether this is just something we do to be polite like tipping our hats to the ladies. I personally like the idea of keeping live weapons out of gun shows because some of the yahoos that attend do not have the proper discipline to avoid negligent discharges. This is probably the ONE place I feel safer without any loaded guns around!!! ;)

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

30.06 should not apply, but . . .

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

GlockenHammer wrote:Any TX attourneys around here want to take a stab at this? I don't see why the GRB would be any different than a library.
I believe the law is clear; TPC 30.06 expressly states it is an exception to its provisions if "the property on which the license holder carries a handgun is owned or leased by a governmental entity . . ." The convention facilities are owned by a governmental entity, so I do not think 30.06 is applicable to CHL holders.

That said, here is the argument that governmental entities are trying to put forth to avoid the clear language of the Code. If government-owned property is leased to an individual or non-governmental entity, then that lessee has the right to post enforceable 30.06 signs, because it becomes their property, albeit for a short term. I think this is an erroneous argument, but it is one that will have to be tested in court. You don't want to be that test case. I just finished a jury trial yesterday and my client won. It cost him a pot-o-money to prove his was right, so before anyone relies on what, in my opinion, is clear in the language of the statute, understand what the true cost of the test my entail. I am not saying anyone should not act in accordance with the law on this issue, I’m just saying to make a well reasoned decision.

Let me throw this is as well. This is to be a gathering of NRA members, so I strongly suspect everyone from LEO's, private security guards and facility personnel (not NRA personnel) will be looking for people carrying far more intently than would normally be the case.

Am I going to carry there? Well, . . .

Regards,
Chas.

TEX

Post by TEX »

The property may be owned by the city or county. But I think when it is leased out for a convention, show, etc., it is then in effect, the property of that entity. I have been to home shows and other non-gun events at George R. Brown and never spotted a 30:06 sign. I think it will be up to the NRA as to whether or not they will post some type of sign, but I really don't expect to see one. I bet you could find out with a phone call to the NRA, but why ask. If they are going to put up one, it is already a done deal. If not and you ask, you may give them an idea about doing so.

The gun shows that are held there do place 30:06 signs at the entrance and I believe they are legal in doing so. It bugs me a little, but not too much as I understand their line or thinking, which is two pronged. It is a gun show and so a person having a momentary brain fart, might be more likely to whip out their new pistol to show one of their buddies, thus creating a opening for an accident or ND. Secondly, if a gun did go off at the gun show it would just give ammunition to anti-gun doom sayers about such events. I suspect that a lot of folks with CHLs carry their sidearm in unloaded (get it tie wrapped) and then keep a magazine somewhere on their person. Despite the rules, I know quite a few people manning tables that carry in a similar fashion.

I have never been to one of these shows as it always involved traveling and hotel expenses. Since I live in Houston and am a life member of the NRA (free) this is quite an opportunity. I even took a day of vacation on Friday just so I could get started early : ) : )

TEX

stevie_d_64

If you want to carry, and are licenced to carry...

Post by stevie_d_64 »

As posted above, the GRB is owned and operated by the City of Houston (a government agency/entity) and therfore, if the event is non-athletic sporting event of any level, you are exempt from section 30.06...Per the provisions in SB501 of the last Texas Legistlative session...It was signed into law...So we are good...

I also heard that the NRA has requested (and gotten approval) as per the contract with the City, to "back up" the exemption for CHL'ers, and reciprocal State CCW permitees and remove/temporarily cover up any ambiguities of signage or audible announcements in and around the facility pertaining to the licenced carrying of firearms...

Its going to be the most polite and safe place in Texas that weekend...

I hope to somehow get a line on some of our friends here and meet and greet ya'll later this month...

Later,<br>
Steve
Last edited by stevie_d_64 on Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stevie_d_64

Ohhhh, and just a few more things...

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Charles Cotton brings up a very good point...

There will be people (LEO's, and other assorted do-gooders) watching all of us...

Make sure you conceal, like you've never concealed before...If anything bigger than the profile of a cell phone on your belt "prints"...I bet a cup of coffee you will be stopped, questioned in an official capacity, you will be required by law to ID yourself and produce the permit you are carrying on...By then you will be lectured like a child and then given a citation based upon your failure to conceal which is a no-no in this State (I know many here know this, I'm just illustrating what will likely happen)...

Not sure if you will have your weapon confiscated until your day in court...But I am sure that if it does happen, there will be little leniency towards those who make the slightest printing or exposure of your firearm...

If I had my way...Well, some here already know what my thoughts are on the issue...

I hope to see ya'll there...

Later,
Steve

Baytown

Post by Baytown »

Did something change or is fail to conceal still a Class A? If it is then there won't be any tickets, it's off the the city jail, then on to the county if you don't post bond.

I really don't see it being a huge problem though. The volume of people would prohibit close checking. I think it would sort of like when everyone smokes weed at concerts.

Glenn

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Baytown wrote:Did something change or is fail to conceal still a Class A?
Nope, nothing changed it's still a Class A.

However, everyone, especially LEO's, need to be aware that the normal mens rea (required mental status) for criminal statutes is intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly, but this is not the case for failure to conceal. There is no violation of the statute, unless the actor intentionally failed to conceal the handgun. Since it is common knowledge that a handgun can be exposed unintentionally, merely seeing the gun (directly or by printing) is not sufficient.

I've discussed this with many folks, including LEO's, who are not aware of this very narrow requirement and this is troublesome. I even had one female officer tell me that, if the wind blows your coat up and I see your gun, you’re going to jail! (She didn’t like my response.) One of the HPD officers who testified against SB60 in 1995 made the statement that "all a suspect (that one really had me steamed!) had to do to avoid an arrest for failure to conceal was say, 'Oh darn, I never intended for that to happen.'" That is pretty close to correct, but there are obvious extremes. Women couldn't but their pistol in one of the clear plastic purses many schools now require and argue she didn't intend anyone to see her gun. If a man pulls a skin-tight shirt over his pistol and it prints so clearly you can read the serial number on the frame, then there is credible evidence you intentionally failed to conceal the handgun.

So, if you ever accidentally fail to conceal your handgun and it is called to your attention, be sure express your surprise and lack of intent, rather than letting loose with some quip like, “Yeah, it keeps the bad guys away.�

Regards,
Chas.

Baytown

Post by Baytown »

I must admit the culpability was limited to intentional. Of course if a guy has a CHL and he is not concealed, I could care less.

I guess I am so far behind on my CHL knowledge because it does not apply to me and I don't care to apply it to anyone else as well unless they are some sort of thug.

Glenn

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”