Mailing Handgun in Texas

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Ross
Posts in topic: 3

Mailing Handgun in Texas

Post by Ross »

Does anyone know the rules on mailing a handgun from one Texas resident to another without having to send it to a FFL.

Ross
Ross
San Antonio

roberts
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Mailing Handgun in Texas

Post by roberts »

May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U. S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable.
THE SECOND AMENDMENT IS NOT ABOUT DUCK HUNTING

Topic author
Ross

Post by Ross »

roberts wrote:
May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U. S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable.

Thanks. Guess that means can't use the USPS.

Can a handgun be shipped via UPS or DHL or a private company between two non-dealers individuals in Texas???
Ross
San Antonio

rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

yes

lws380
Posts in topic: 1

Post by lws380 »

It is a real pain and costly to ship with UPS. When I checked it was 70-80 bucks to ship UPS as it has to be sent over-night air. Also, just can't use any UPS store has to be one owned and operated by UPS, can't just go down to a local UPS store that may be contracted.

I think you are safer to use the FFL. I found one that would ship for $25. Let the other individual pay his cost of the FFL at his end. Or charge him the cost for both in the transaction. I think the paperwork is cleaner too as the receiving FFL has to verify the other person as I understand it. Just my personal experience. Good luck!

Topic author
Ross

Post by Ross »

lws380 wrote:It is a real pain and costly to ship with UPS. When I checked it was 70-80 bucks to ship UPS as it has to be sent over-night air. Also, just can't use any UPS store has to be one owned and operated by UPS, can't just go down to a local UPS store that may be contracted.

I think you are safer to use the FFL. I found one that would ship for $25. Let the other individual pay his cost of the FFL at his end. Or charge him the cost for both in the transaction. I think the paperwork is cleaner too as the receiving FFL has to verify the other person as I understand it. Just my personal experience. Good luck!
Thanks. Sounds like good advice.
Ross
San Antonio

boomerang

Post by boomerang »

lws380 wrote:I think the paperwork is cleaner too as the receiving FFL has to verify the other person as I understand it.
I'm not sure about cleaner but there's definitely more of it!
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

dmac

Post by dmac »

Wait...you can ship handguns IN STATE without going through an FFL on either end? Is that true?
WARNING: The writer tends to use sarcasm - be aware - the ability to easily understand irony, hyperbole, litotes and other elements of satire is required for a thorough understanding.
Bin Laden Is Still Free....Are You?
Repeal The Patriot Act Now!

rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

yes, it has been that way a while now. Cant use USPS though. I have done this several times and with members of this board even.

roberts
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by roberts »

dmac wrote:Wait...you can ship handguns IN STATE without going through an FFL on either end? Is that true?
You can even sell them face to face IN STATE without going through the FFL but interstate needs the FFL.
THE SECOND AMENDMENT IS NOT ABOUT DUCK HUNTING

Warhawk

Post by Warhawk »

Check with Lone Star Express

dmac

Post by dmac »

roberts wrote:
dmac wrote:Wait...you can ship handguns IN STATE without going through an FFL on either end? Is that true?
You can even sell them face to face IN STATE without going through the FFL but interstate needs the FFL.

yeah...face to face I knew...but this shipping thing is new to me..are we sure about this? I always thought it was only long guns that could be shipped within the state with no ffl.
WARNING: The writer tends to use sarcasm - be aware - the ability to easily understand irony, hyperbole, litotes and other elements of satire is required for a thorough understanding.

rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

direct quotes from the atf website have been posted here many times. it is definitely allowed.

dmac

Post by dmac »

rm9792 wrote:direct quotes from the atf website have been posted here many times. it is definitely allowed.
Thanks...just trying to be cautious and make sure I know the facts.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”