Sportsman Warehouse Round Rock

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

jdm
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Sportsman Warehouse Round Rock

Post by jdm »

Yesterday in the Round Rock store they told me:
1) Store will be open about another two months. Clearance sales to start "soon".
2) Firearms will not be on clearance. There is a seperate liquidator that will take of of selling them off.

I, for one, will miss the beautiful lady cashiers they always seemed to have working in Round Rock. It seems they were recruited for their looks.

stroo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by stroo »

I still miss the store in Lewisville.

NcongruNt
Posts in topic: 2

Post by NcongruNt »

It's unfortunate, but their own doing. The Round Rock location isn't exactly terribly visible, and they still don't have anything listed online, despite the site promising for well over a year that it is "coming soon", and I found their ammo and reloading selection to be lacking. They like to carry the more premium stuff, but not the cheap staples that shooters need. And yeah, the prices are high.

I've been there once, didn't really care to go back. Maybe I'll hit it up for the closeout stuff.
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

HankB

Post by HankB »

The Round Rock store really hasn't been open that long . . . I bought my 340Sc there, during one of their "customer appreciation discount days" and got some extra cashback due to a promotion from my credit card company; price worked out to be the cheapest in town at that time.

I was there about a month ago, and they only had ONE guy working the gun counter, and he was deep in discussion with another customer, telling him about his wonderful gun - couldn't get his attention, so I left. (Surprising, as customer service has always been good before.)

I DID notice a LOT of gaps in their inventory, both behind the gun counter and on the floor.

SW is just off I-35 . . . for the past few years they've been reworking the roads crossing the highway up there and putting in toll roads . . . I think the way TxDOT thoroughly messed up*that entire interchange has hurt all the local businesses.

* Sorry I have to water down the description, as stating it the way I'd LIKE to would draw the ire of moderators . . . :nono:
Original CHL: 2000: 56 day turnaround
1st renewal, 2004: 34 days
2nd renewal, 2008: 81 days
3rd renewal, 2013: 12 days

O6nop

Post by O6nop »

There was a time when they had absolutely everything you could want. I purchased three handguns there and quite a few accessories. Poor management has to be the answer, especially when so many stores are closing nationally (23, I think) AND during a period when people just can't buy enough guns due to Salesman of the Year, Barack Obama.

Most of their camping gear and non-shooting sports equipment is at REI prices. Academy probably sunk them there.
I believe there is safety in numbers..
numbers like: 9, .22, .38, .357, .45, .223, 5.56, 7.62, 6.5, .30-06...

mactex

Post by mactex »

Well, the store closing sign just went up at the San Antonio store. Looks like I'll have to find someplace else to purchase my reloading supplies. Sigh..... :cryin

jdm

Post by jdm »

The clearance sale started today at the Round Rock Sportsmans Warehouse. 10% off everything except firearms and ammo. 5% off targets, etc. 30% off mens winter clothing. Not much of a clearance so far, but the store was very busy.

MTICop

Post by MTICop »

mactex wrote:Well, the store closing sign just went up at the San Antonio store. Looks like I'll have to find someplace else to purchase my reloading supplies. Sigh..... :cryin
Went there today and the shelves are pretty bare, especially the re-loading stuff. If the Round Rock store is anything like the one here in SA, you better get there quick or nothing will be left.
Adversity doesn't build character....it reveals it.

USAF (Retired)
NRA Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

mactex

Post by mactex »

I don't suppose anyone knows of a local shop in San Antonio that sells reloading supplies? Bass Pro carries some, but it's always limited and expensive! Cabela's has been my other choice, but time to run up there has been, and will continue to be, limited lately. Dury's and Nagles advertise that they carry supplies, but they don't really stock much.

LaserTex

Post by LaserTex »

San Antonio Express News Business Section page 2 - today's edition 17 Mar 09

Sportsman's Warehouse closing Texas Stores
- 23 of its stores, including the sole San Antonio store and the one in Round Rock are included. They already closed the store on the Worthwest Side of town at Loop 410 and hwy 151.

Doug :txflag:
LaserTex
Air Force Retired ** Life Member VFW ** NRA Member **
** Life Member AmVets ** Patriot Guard Rider **

MTICop

Post by MTICop »

mactex wrote:I don't suppose anyone knows of a local shop in San Antonio that sells reloading supplies? Bass Pro carries some, but it's always limited and expensive! Cabela's has been my other choice, but time to run up there has been, and will continue to be, limited lately. Dury's and Nagles advertise that they carry supplies, but they don't really stock much.
Don't want to hijack the thread but to answer your question quickly Nagels, on San Pedro, had a bunch. They are a bit pricey at times. There is also a gun shop on 410 and the Fredricksberg exit. They have some things but not a lot. Those and Bass Pro are the only ones I know that sell around here. To be fair though I haven't done a lot of looking.
Adversity doesn't build character....it reveals it.

USAF (Retired)
NRA Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

HankB

Post by HankB »

jdm wrote:The clearance sale started today at the Round Rock Sportsmans Warehouse. 10% off everything except firearms and ammo.
So you're telling me there's no reason to drive up there, eh? ;-)

Wonder if it's going to be like the Circuit City liquidation sale, where the "30% off original price" actually meant "30% off the higher price we marked on the tag overnight." :roll:
Original CHL: 2000: 56 day turnaround
1st renewal, 2004: 34 days
2nd renewal, 2008: 81 days
3rd renewal, 2013: 12 days

Backslider

Post by Backslider »

HankB wrote:Wonder if it's going to be like the Circuit City liquidation sale, where the "30% off original price" actually meant "30% off the higher price we marked on the tag overnight." :roll:
Most likely.
If I had a gun for every ace I have drawn, I could arm a town the size of Abilene.

jdm

Post by jdm »

Yesterday, the 5% off tags appeared on all of the rifles and shotguns. They had a 5% off sign over the handguns. Lots of shotgun ammo in stock, no buckshot. Targets and firearm cleaning supplies cleaned out. Reloading supplies and most ammo has been gone for months. There is only some expensive rifle ammo left. Maybe a dozen safes at 10%, maybe there is a deal there.

This seems like a very slow going out of business sale.

NcongruNt

Post by NcongruNt »

jdm wrote:Yesterday, the 5% off tags appeared on all of the rifles and shotguns. They had a 5% off sign over the handguns. Lots of shotgun ammo in stock, no buckshot. Targets and firearm cleaning supplies cleaned out. Reloading supplies and most ammo has been gone for months. There is only some expensive rifle ammo left. Maybe a dozen safes at 10%, maybe there is a deal there.

This seems like a very slow going out of business sale.
Much like sales there before going out of business. I wonder how much money they're losing by having to pay people to work while stuff leaves the shelves slightly less slowly than before.

Seriously, 5-10% off is still high when you compare their prices to everyone else's. They're certainly not liquidation prices.
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”