Academy ammo sales

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
RECIT
Posts in topic: 7

Academy ammo sales

Post by RECIT »

I just stopped by the Academy in Sugar Land to stock up on some ammo. They are limiting their handgun ammo and .223 ammo to two boxes per customer. I thought is was silly, but I said that is fine. Let me get two boxes of WWB in the value pack. The store clerk then told me I could only buy one box because it had 100rds in it. Then I told him if that is the case I should be able to buy five boxes of .223 or 2/5ths of a UMC mega pack in 9mm. He laughed and said NO. To make matters worse in the frustration department I had fourteen boxes of .308 in my hands already that they were not limiting. I bought the .308 and ONE box of 9mm in WWB. I guess I will be going back tonight when I get off to buy another box or two if I can. Just silly I think, they are not making any more or less money if I buy one box or two or everything they have in stock. The total revenue is the same for Academy.
"I am a Free Man, regardless of what set of 'rules' surround me. When I find them tolerable, I tolerate them. When I find them obnoxious, I ignore them. I remain free, because I know and understand that I alone bear full responsibility for everything I do, or chose not to do."

arod757
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Academy ammo sales

Post by arod757 »

Stores can't win. People complain because they have no ammo in stock at all, so they set limits to try to please them, and then someone else is going to complain about the limits because they want more than they're allowing. I understand both points. There's just no way to please everyone.

I'm SO glad I started reloading. Having ammo available all the time has been awesome these last few months.

Topic author
RECIT

Post by RECIT »

Reloading is great for the people that have/make the time to do it. I am not one of those people though. I know it is cheaper after you get set up with equipment and everything, but when one works 50-60hrs a week time is more valuable than money in some instances.
"I am a Free Man, regardless of what set of 'rules' surround me. When I find them tolerable, I tolerate them. When I find them obnoxious, I ignore them. I remain free, because I know and understand that I alone bear full responsibility for everything I do, or chose not to do."

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 5

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

RECIT wrote:Reloading is great for the people that have/make the time to do it. I am not one of those people though. I know it is cheaper after you get set up with equipment and everything, but when one works 50-60hrs a week time is more valuable than money in some instances.
Time is the issue for me also. I actually have the whole set up for reloading. I used to reload for my 44 mag., 357/38, and 45 ACP. It has now been almost 25 years since i last reloaded any ammo. That is just about when I started working more to get ahead in the world. Maybe after i retire I will pick it up again. I sure used to enjoy doing it. :waiting:

MTICop
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MTICop »

I need to go to the Academy in Sugar Land then. I haven't seen bullets in a San Antonio Academy in a very long time. I must be missing the delivery truck. Good luck on finding a store with ammo in stock even if it was limited.
Adversity doesn't build character....it reveals it.

USAF (Retired)
NRA Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

jeeperbryan

Post by jeeperbryan »

All the Academys I've been to don't even have enough ammo to try this new policy out.

longhorn_92

Post by longhorn_92 »

MTICop wrote:I need to go to the Academy in Sugar Land then. I haven't seen bullets in a San Antonio Academy in a very long time. I must be missing the delivery truck. Good luck on finding a store with ammo in stock even if it was limited.

Academy stills sells ammo?....
“If you try to shoot me, I will have to shoot you back, and I promise you I won’t miss!”

NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Member

MTICop
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MTICop »

longhorn_92 wrote:
MTICop wrote:I need to go to the Academy in Sugar Land then. I haven't seen bullets in a San Antonio Academy in a very long time. I must be missing the delivery truck. Good luck on finding a store with ammo in stock even if it was limited.

Academy stills sells ammo?....
Well they at least have stickers on empty shelves that say that's where the ammo would go if they had any. Might be a ruse, you may be right. lol!
Adversity doesn't build character....it reveals it.

USAF (Retired)
NRA Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

grim-bob

Post by grim-bob »

That stinks. I've cleared out over 2000 rounds of cheap monarch .223 over the last 2 weeks here in DFW. 3 different stores and a bunch of boxes each time. In fact 500 of it was just picked up yesterday. nobody said a word about limits.... wonder if it is just the goofs down in sugarland?
Josh

Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
Benjamin Franklin

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Maybe it's just the luck of the draw, but each time I go to the
Academy in Lewisville they seem to have plenty of ammo.
Last time I needed some 9MM I had the pick of many styles.
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

bubba1876

Post by bubba1876 »

Everytime I go into my local Academy, the gun counter guys don't give a crap how much I buy. In fact, I've had one guy who encouraged me to try Blazer over WWB. And it was cheaper. He said it was great range ammo, and he told me when they get their shipments in. And they had more ammo than I could afford. In 9mm they probably had 3000 rounds WWB and 2000 rounds Blazer. Maybe it was just a good day.
Glock 19

Topic author
RECIT

Post by RECIT »

I buy LOTS of ammo at Academy myself and have never run into this before. I am going to call a few other stores in my area.

lrb111

Post by lrb111 »

grim-bob wrote:That stinks. I've cleared out over 2000 rounds of cheap monarch .223 over the last 2 weeks here in DFW. 3 different stores and a bunch of boxes each time. In fact 500 of it was just picked up yesterday. nobody said a word about limits.... wonder if it is just the goofs down in sugarland?

Acadamy in Midland warned me a week and half ago that they were going to the 2 box rationing. I saw it first hand in one of the WalMarts yesterday. The clerk had a case of Blazer Brass .45 hidden on the floor, and was only letting out two boxes at a time. The shelves behind her were cleaned off.
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

I understand that it takes time to setup for reloading but considering the current situation, it may come down to reloading or not shooting. I find reloading a chore but when I see the prices of factory loads, I feel much better.
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

agbullet2k1

Post by agbullet2k1 »

Picked up a couple 9mm 100 pack WWB from the local Academy yesterday for about $22 each. They seemed to have plenty of stock to choose from. At least a dozen more boxes of WWB and quite a few Monarchs as well. The last two times I've been there they had what I needed. I've been to 2 different Walmarts at least 5 times in the last week or so and they didn't have anything but .22. Of course, the Walmart next to me has gone really downhill the last month or so, so the low stock might just be part of a bigger store problem.
Walther P99AS 9mm
Beretta PX4sc 9mm
Walther P99 .40 S&W
FrankenAR-15
Type II Phaser

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”