Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
kirock7
Posts in topic: 1

Italian cruise ship thwarts pirate attack

Post by kirock7 »

It's about dang time!! :fire

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/africa/04 ... index.html
(CNN) -- The captain of an Italian cruise ship foiled an attack by pirates off the coast of Somalia on Saturday by ordering his security crew to fire back, Italy's ANSA news agency reported.

Six armed pirates in a speedboat attacked the ship, which had about 1,500 people onboard, ANSA said. They fled after the security crew fired back.

The cruise ship Melody, which is owned by an Italian company, was on its way back to Italy after a cruise, ANSA said.

No one was injured in the attack about 180 miles north of the Seychelles.

Piracy is rampant off the coast of Somalia despite the presence of foreign navies. The area hardest hit off the coasts of Somalia and Kenya, including the Gulf of Aden, is more than 1.1 million square miles -- four times the size of the state of Texas.

Abraham

Re: Italian cruise ship thwarts pirate attack

Post by Abraham »

Perhaps, if we didn't call them "Pirates" they'd be kind and act civilized.

After all, now that "terrorists" are no longer called that - they've stop being terrorists, right?

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

Why would any cruise line want to run a cruise in that area? Perhaps watching pirates is far more interesting then watching whales? :smilelol5:
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

The cruise line's security team was Israeli because "they're the best."

The security crew was authorized to carry any sort of pistols that they deemed
effective. As the pirates were trying to board the larger vessel they were
met with high pressure water hoses and pistol fire.

The pirates retreated to their own vessel, followed the cruise ship for another
20 minutes, then gave up any further attempts.

What a concept - Pirates thwarted by bullets coming their way!!!
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

bryang

Post by bryang »

Finally!! The Italians had a little surprise for the pirates this time...an armed security team! :fire :shock:

A few more of these and the pirate business would not be such a great business to be in.

-geo
"I am crucified with Christ: Nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me" -Gal 2:20

NRA-TSRA-Life Member
American Legion USN-GM
"Μολών λαβέ!"

Project One Million:Texas - Get Involved - Join The NRA & TSRA -TODAY!

Isimanica

Post by Isimanica »

AndyC wrote:I was approached about a year back to help form an anti-piracy security team for commercial vessels; when I was told "no firearms", I politely declined :roll:
There are times when I can see that the use of non sparking devices would be necessary. But there are many other vessels where that wouldn't be a problem.

tfrazier
Posts in topic: 2

Post by tfrazier »

So the excuse used by most of the shipping industry for not having firearms on board is that most countries will not allow an "armed" vessel to enter their ports. I wonder if this case was one where the Italian ship simply carried and didn't disclose they were violating other countries' laws or if they only used ports where no such laws applied?

I've also wondered how some of these massive cruise ships dealt with violent crime on board if none of their security personnel carried fire arms. After all, some of those things are practically floating cities. Granted, you don't have crips and bloods taking cruises, but still...

Even the 'Bobbys" in the UK have started toting sidearms in the last decade or two.

At any rate, it's good to see a case where the good guys easily repelled the bad guys with a little common sense fire-power.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

CompVest wrote:Why would any cruise line want to run a cruise in that area? Perhaps watching pirates is far more interesting then watching whales? :smilelol5:
Could be very interesting Compvest, but similar. One of the big attractions for whale watchers is seeing them spray water out of their blow holes. The neat thing about that cruise would be watching the crew blow holes in the pirates!!! :mrgreen:

Maybe they can make it an interactive event for the passengers?? I might like that cruise!!! :evil2:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

tfrazier
Posts in topic: 2

Post by tfrazier »

Keith B, you have hereby earned an UPL [Unconcealed Pun License] :smilelol5:

Kawabuggy

Post by Kawabuggy »

I've heard that some of the cruise ships allow skeet shooting off the back of the boat. Now instead of clay pigeons, for an extra fee you can man a 50 cal. and fire away at Pirates! Yes!

I bet if this were to happen the problems with piracy would come to a screeching halt!

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

Keith B wrote:
CompVest wrote:Why would any cruise line want to run a cruise in that area? Perhaps watching pirates is far more interesting then watching whales? :smilelol5:
Could be very interesting Compvest, but similar. One of the big attractions for whale watchers is seeing them spray water out of their blow holes. The neat thing about that cruise would be watching the crew blow holes in the pirates!!! :mrgreen:

Maybe they can make it an interactive event for the passengers?? I might like that cruise!!! :evil2:
fer an extra $100, you kin shewt a few pirates. :fire
fer $200, you get to use tha fiddy cal. :cheers2:
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

gmckinl

Post by gmckinl »

Kawabuggy wrote:I've heard that some of the cruise ships allow skeet shooting off the back of the boat. Now instead of clay pigeons, for an extra fee you can man a 50 cal. and fire away at Pirates! Yes!
"rlol" THAT is the funniest, coffee-spewing, thing I've read today.
NRA Life Member

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”