Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
WEC
Posts in topic: 5

Holster question

Post by WEC »

Hello everyone,

I was hoping to get some input, or at least point me in the right direction.

I'm looking for a kydex holster, OWB or paddle, able to fit onto a duty belt which can accommodate a Sig P226 with an attached light (specifically an Insight Procyon). So far in my research I've only been able to find Blade-Tech but at $82.95 it's a little cost prohibitive. Was wondering if anyone had any leads or suggestions to other holster makers which can scratch me where I itch.

Any help would be much appreciated. :tiphat:
"We are oft to blame in this / 'Tis too much proved -- that with devotion's visage / And pious action we do sugar o'er / The devil himself."
Μολὼν λαβέ | NRA Lifetime Member

DONT TREAD ON ME

Re: Holster question

Post by DONT TREAD ON ME »

im not sure if it will fit but its worth a look

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Level- ... 0,1410.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Topic author
WEC

Post by WEC »

Thanks! I was looking at those but I didn't want the SERPA button. Considering the cost, though, it may be a very viable option. Thanks again for the suggestion!
"We are oft to blame in this / 'Tis too much proved -- that with devotion's visage / And pious action we do sugar o'er / The devil himself."

yerasimos

Post by yerasimos »

DONT TREAD ON ME

Why a no on the Serpa?

I have one for my 1911 and I absolutely love it! I have yet to draw and putmy finger on the trigger. The release it set perfect to when you draw your finger is resting on the slide and frame as its supposed to. It really is a GREAT holster.

yerasimos

Post by yerasimos »

XtremeDuty.45 wrote:Why a no on the Serpa?

I have one for my 1911 and I absolutely love it! I have yet to draw and putmy finger on the trigger. The release it set perfect to when you draw your finger is resting on the slide and frame as its supposed to. It really is a GREAT holster.
If you want to continue using your Serpa with your gun, carry on.

However, enough end-users and respected trainers have convinced me they are not a good choice.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=988087

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/sho ... p?t=393441

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulle ... 2?p=818630

http://policelink.monster.com/topics/38 ... adly/posts

I do not believe it is a wise practice for the trigger finger to be pressing or flexing at all--- aside from whatever nominal pressure is used to keep said finger in register away from the trigger---until the handgun is aimed or indexed upon an identified target. Anything else is increasing the risk for an AD/ND or adds an extra steering force upon the frame that makes it unnecessarily more difficult to keep it on target. Using the Serpa is contrary to this theme.

CompVest
Posts in topic: 2

Post by CompVest »

I just don't care for mechanical devices to hold my gun in the holster. Mechanical devices have a habit of breaking and generally at the worse possible time.
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

martywj
Posts in topic: 1

Post by martywj »

How about this one from Fobus http://www.fobusholster.com/products/SI ... 021-0.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GLT-17 only a little over $50.
I have 2 Fobus paddle holsters 1 for my PT140 and 1 for my S&W 908. Like them both. They are my everyday-wear-it-to-work holsters. Since I can't carry at work, I have to leave the weapon in truck. The paddles holsters are easy off, easy on.
Marty

If I have to explain, you won't understand.

Topic author
WEC

Post by WEC »

I was looking at Safariland but some of those are even more expensive than Blade-Techs!

I had read/researched similar articles about the SERPA button, so that's why I was a bit hesitant about that. Still, I don't intend on using the holster for duty or for service. I'm really just doing some tactical training as well as including it in my bug-out gear. What I'm really looking for is at most a level 2 retention, with ease of draw and re-holstering. I wish that Comp-tac would make what I'm looking for. They just don't make any holsters for handguns that include a tactical light. I really enjoy the tension screws and the dimple around the trigger guard that they employ for retention.

The Fobus looks like it may be close to what I want. I'm just wondering how easy it is to open/close that snap.

I may just have to bite the bullet (so to speak) and get the Blade-Tech, but thanks for all of the suggestions!

yerasimos

Post by yerasimos »

Texasdoc
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Texasdoc »

I have been using the Serpa, for the past 3 years and have never had a problem and have been to 4 schools and have never had a instructor/admin. tell me I couldn't use it. I know of lots of LEO's that swear by the serpa and have been using them.

I tell everyone that wants to use one to practice with a unloaded gun.

the is nothing wrong with it as I use a level 2 for work and a standard one for CCW .

this is my opinon, so please no Flames
Shoot more,then Reload and Shoot somemore. Image

http://www.texasguntalk.com

Topic author
WEC

Post by WEC »

This is quite possibly the winner. Still a bit pricey but will probably fit better than the Blade-Tech. Thanks a lot!

DONT TREAD ON ME

Texasdoc wrote:I have been using the Serpa, for the past 3 years and have never had a problem and have been to 4 schools and have never had a instructor/admin. tell me I couldn't use it. I know of lots of LEO's that swear by the serpa and have been using them.

I tell everyone that wants to use one to practice with a unloaded gun.

the is nothing wrong with it as I use a level 2 for work and a standard one for CCW .

this is my opinon, so please no Flames

:iagree: All it takes is a little practice. You can have an AD/ND with ANY holster.

yerasimos,

you are correct you can have an AD/ND with the Serpa and EVERY other holster out there. All it takes is a little slip. When you draw do you draw with your trigger finger on the grip? If not then you can also have an AD/ND again all it takes is a little slip. Have you ever used a Serpa? If you have then you know that your trigger finger is not on the trigger but where it is taught to be placed (above the trigger well on slide/frame) when not shooting.

the Serpa isa great holster IMO. A little practice and discipline and you will not have any problems with it. That goes for EVERY holster and gun!

yerasimos

Post by yerasimos »

XtremeDuty.45 wrote:

yerasimos,

you are correct you can have an AD/ND with the Serpa and EVERY other holster out there. All it takes is a little slip. When you draw do you draw with your trigger finger on the grip? If not then you can also have an AD/ND again all it takes is a little slip. Have you ever used a Serpa? If you have then you know that your trigger finger is not on the trigger but where it is taught to be placed (above the trigger well on slide/frame) when not shooting.

the Serpa isa great holster IMO. A little practice and discipline and you will not have any problems with it. That goes for EVERY holster and gun!
No, not all holsters or guns are created equal. Some are inherently problematic, and the Serpa falls into this category.

While using the Serpa holster, the trigger finger is given an additional task besides: 1. staying in register/motionless alongside the frame; and 2. pressing the trigger when the handgun is aimed/indexed upon an identified target. This additional task has the trigger finger flexing/pushing inward in the general vicinity of the trigger as well as the part of the frame immediately above it. If the Serpa holster has any serious retention capability, I am certain whatever trigger finger pressure that is required to disengage its retention is more forceful than any accidental "little slip".

When using a holster with retention features that are not manipulated with the trigger finger, or a holster without retention features, the trigger finger should remain essentially straight and motionless until a target has been identified, the handgun is aimed/indexed and there is a conscious decision to shoot. The trigger finger should not be pressing or bending under any other circumstances, and there is no reason for a "little slip" when there are no net forces upon the finger. If a user feels his trigger finger bending when drawing or (especially) reholstering, that should be a clear signal to stop moving the handgun and ensure the finger is in register and clear of the trigger. Simple, unambigous, and superior to the Serpa.

CompVest
Posts in topic: 2

Post by CompVest »

Both sides of this have merit. However, the only thing I have against the Serpa is that there is a mechanical device holding my gun in place. If it should fail in the heat of the moment and you don't rise to your usual level of performance and miss the release you are left without your gun in your hand. It is just one more fine motor control activity needed to perform in a high adrenalin situation.
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”