Do you name your guns?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

mymojo
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Do you name your guns?

Post by mymojo » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:22 pm

03Lightningrocks wrote:No...that would seem weird to me. On the other hand, a female could get away with naming her gun. I have known females who gave their cars nick names. It is cute when a female does this. If I ever got in a car and a bud called his car by any nick name I would make fun of him until his death. Same for a gun.
My car has a name.

Once upon a time my wife and I had that old discussion about the one movie star that, if you had the chance, you'd get a free pass to get with. Then one day my wife said I treated my car like a mistress. Since there is only one woman I would get a free pass for, then obviously the cars name had to be...... Bridgette.
"Dialing 9-1-1 is wise.... Expecting them to arrive in time to save you is foolish." - Tsung Tzu, The Art of War

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 8

Post by 03Lightningrocks » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:27 pm

mymojo wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:No...that would seem weird to me. On the other hand, a female could get away with naming her gun. I have known females who gave their cars nick names. It is cute when a female does this. If I ever got in a car and a bud called his car by any nick name I would make fun of him until his death. Same for a gun.
My car has a name.

Once upon a time my wife and I had that old discussion about the one movie star that, if you had the chance, you'd get a free pass to get with. Then one day my wife said I treated my car like a mistress. Since there is only one woman I would get a free pass for, then obviously the cars name had to be...... Bridgette.
That is cute between you and your wife. I won't say what I think it is between you and other guys. :mrgreen: I have heard my buds call their vehicle by a nick name before but the forum rules won't allow me to mention them. It is usually after making two or three failed attempts at starting them. Maybe that is not technically a nick name. :mrgreen:

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:08 pm

dthlss1 wrote:
G.A. Heath wrote:Me, my close friends, and my family know a series of names for my handguns so that we can talk about which ones I have on me without saying "Do you have your gun(s) with you?" For example someone may ask me if Roxane is coming with us, and I might say no, but Kim and Linda are. Basically their question was "are you carring your Rock Island Armory" and my response was "No, but I have my Pro Covert II and my LCR." But thats just a bunch of gun nuts talking in code so that we don't alarm people or reveal our armed status.
I like that! I'm going to steal it from you, if you don't mind. :tiphat:
Feel Free I wouldn't have posted it if I wanted to keep it for myself. I think I have even used it as a CarryTip once.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

couzin

Post by couzin » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:50 pm

dthlss1 wrote:...Slots is obvious...
That was funny!!
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

karl
Posts in topic: 1

Post by karl » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:02 pm

I named my S&W 'Boss', nothing special. I don't typically refer to it by that name, just thought it needed one. No name for my AR.

While I was in high school I named the family hand-me-down car. It was a '94 (yea I'm young) Buick LeSabre, blue exterior, blue interior carpet, blue leather seats, blue dash. It absorbed so much heat from the sun that I called it the Toaster Oven; no matter what time of year it was (if the sun was out) you would burn your bum on the leather. Name stuck so we called it that until it died.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all. I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the atmosphere. -Thomas Jefferson

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:37 am

The only car I only called by anything other than the manufacturer was my '77 Monte Carlo Landau Coup in Midnight Blue that I had in high school. She was my baby and I sure do miss her though I doubt I could afford to drive her now a days.

I've decided if I buy another handgun, I'm going to jokingly name it "The Hypothetical" because as I told my wife last night, I've been shopping for a new one only "hypothetically speaking". ;-)
Psalm 91:2

NcongruNt

Post by NcongruNt » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:03 pm

We actually had a thread on the same topic a couple of years ago. For posterity, the link:

http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=17491" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:thumbs2:
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

lama

Post by lama » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:39 pm

Yes because it makes me laugh and as has been said it let's me and my girl talk about them without saying any "scary" words. I name them after the fiery women in my life

TexasGal

Post by TexasGal » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:30 am

My first semi auto was a G19. When I was looking it over, I told the FFL: "Hey, the left side of the rear sight is sorta boogered up". He knocked off some money and I bought it anyway. I just started calling it Booger. I shortly traded it back to him for the Springfield XD which fits my hand better. Come to think of it, I never named the XD. Hmmm. Dang it. It takes me 6 months to name a new dog. I wonder how long it will take me to think up code names for the XD and J frame... :confused5
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

74novaman

Post by 74novaman » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:27 pm

I'm bumping this old thread because after church today, I named my two 1911s.

I flipped by this passage and it struck me:
[Revelations 19:11] And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat on him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he does judge and make war.
So now my government model is known as Faithful and my officers model as True. :coolgleamA:
TANSTAAFL

68Charger

Post by 68Charger » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:20 pm

I never named my pistols, but I do call them by their manufacturer names. I always call my S&W 'Smith' for obvious reasons, but I think that's about as close as I get to it. Usually I refer to them as 'her', 'she', etc.. I don't know why I always give them lady names.. Like a lady would ever protect me.. ;p

On another note, I've always named my cars girls' names.

Actually, I take that back. I named my P238 Mighty Max..
We don't need no stinking badges!

PappaGun

Post by PappaGun » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:00 pm

No names.

Too personal.

The 9.

The 45.

The 40.

That's about it.

If I ver get more than one in a given caliber, I'll have to come up something really creative like

The other 9.

The other 45.

etc.
"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe."
- Noah Webster

"All we ask for is registration, just like we do for cars."
- Charles Schumer

e-bil

Post by e-bil » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:25 pm

Only official name we have is Junior for the LCP. I watched too much Stargate SG1 back.in the day...

Texas_Tactical

Post by Texas_Tactical » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:26 pm

^^Haha^^

I dont think there's anything wrong with naming your weapons or inanimate objects(e.g. cars, etc.). Look at people in military they name everything planes, bombs, guns, and all sorts of stuff.

I personally don't really name my guns, but I've thought about it. I friend told my to name my AR Batman but I going to put FDE furniture on it so that doesn't really work. I would like to name my HD Shotgun since its a definite permanent keeper but just haven't heard any I like.

AustinBoy

Post by AustinBoy » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:32 pm

Mine are named but only so that I can communicate discretely with my wife, not to be cute.
There have been times when I let her know that Elsie(LCP) or Springer(SA XD40 sub) is with us.

A lot easier than saying "yes honey, I have my gun with me."
NRA - Life Member
TSRA - Life Member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”