Introduce yourself

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

BBW
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by BBW »

Howdy all,

Been reading stuff on this board for awhile, and decided to join to add my 2 cents to some threads.

I've handled firearms since I was 6, got my CHL when it was 1st offered in Texas. A few years ago, my son got into Boy Scouts and I saw a need to help with shooting sports, so I got my NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun instructors and Range Safety Officer's certificates. I went on to get my Chief Range Safety Officers Cert so I could teach other volunteers in Longhorn Council to become RSOs and help the scouts to have shooting events at the troop, district, and council level. Teaching scouts about firearm safety is my primary goal.

From there I have been teaching a few parents how to shoot pistols, and in December I decided to apply for a LTC Instructors license. I am waiting for a class to open up so I can complete that goal.

Looking in the DFW area to help with teaching courses so I can increase my skills and knowledge in teaching others.

Burl
Burleigh
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor, CRSO, USAA Coach level 1, BSA merit badge counselor, NRA & TSRA Life member.

JimDandy

Post by JimDandy »

Howdy all,

LTC newb here. SA area. Looking forward to learning more about using the license I now carry.

Thanks
JD
Does this holster make my butt look big?

NJ_Expat
Posts in topic: 4

Post by NJ_Expat »

Hi everyone,

My wife and I relocated to Texas from Bergen County, NJ at the beginning of August. I'm from Jersey, but she was born, raised, and went to college on the lower east side in Manhattan. She was promoted to her company's HQ in Irving, and I work remotely, so we decided to take the plunge and make the 26-hour drive to Lewisville. We are thrilled to be here, and are loving the friendly people, the forgiving weather, and the freedom. The lower cost of living is a major plus, too.

Grew up shooting .22's and skeet at Boy Scout camp every summer. Picked up my first gun when I turned 21 (which is a pain in the a** in New Jersey, as you can imagine). Currently waiting on my LTC to be printed and mailed, with the last open item being the background in review. Looking forward to learning from all the experienced folks here on the board.

My meager collection is as follows:

Springfield M1 Garand (1942)
LRB M14EBR
Windham Weaponry M4 Clone
Ruger 10/22
Mossberg 590A1
Dan Wesson Silverback 1911
Glock 19 (G4)
Beretta M9
Uberti 1847 Colt Walker
Last edited by NJ_Expat on Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not a liberal.
Not a conservative.
Equal parts well-meaning free-thinker and misguided madman.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 166

Post by carlson1 »

Welcome to all of the new folks!

NJ_Expat and welcome to Texas. That is a great collection you have.

NJ_Expat

Post by NJ_Expat »

carlson1 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:48 amNJ_Expat and welcome to Texas. That is a great collection you have.
Thanks, Carlson. We've been here just shy of a month, but we love it here. My wife, the native New Yorker in every sense of the phrase, commented to me the other day, "We are never moving back." I share her sentiments!

First thing I did when I got my temporary Texas driver's license was go to the Bass Pro in Grapevine and purchase that Glock 19, just because I could (also as a potential CCW). The guys at the counter were laughing when I described to them the draconian gun laws in NJ, but were welcoming and very friendly toward me, and were happy to do business and talk shop with a new Texan freshly liberated from enemy territory.
Not a liberal.
Not a conservative.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 18

Post by Jusme »

Welcome to the forum NJ_Expat!! :tiphat:

There are several forum members who live in and around the Lewisville area, I'm sure they can advise you on the best shooting locations in your area.
There are also two "member meet up" breakfasts in the area. One is the DFW soutwest in South Arlington that meets, on the third Saturday of the month
https://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=89195

And the other is the North/Northeast quadrant meet up, which I believe is the second Saturday of the month.
https://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=89211

Lewisville is pretty centrally located, so you could go to one or both, I know they would enjoy meeting you and your bride, for good conversation, and give you a true forum welcome to the land of freedom. :txflag:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

rotor

Post by rotor »

NJ_Expat wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:16 am Hi everyone,

My wife and I relocated to Texas from Bergen County, NJ at the beginning of August. I'm from Jersey, but she was born, raised, and went to college on the lower east side in Manhattan. She was promoted to her company's HQ in Irving, and I work remotely, so we decided to take the plunge and make the 26-hour drive to Lewisville. We are thrilled to be here, and are loving the friendly people, the forgiving weather, and the freedom. The lower cost of living is a major plus, too.

Grew up shooting .22's and skeet at Boy Scout camp every summer. Picked up my first gun when I turned 21 (which is a pain in the a** in New Jersey, as you can imagine). Currently waiting on my LTC to be printed and mailed, with the last open item being the background in review. Looking forward to learning from all the experienced folks here on the board.

My meager collection is as follows:

Springfield M1 Garand (1942)
Windham Weaponry M4 Clone
Ruger 10/22
Mossberg 590A1
Dan Wesson Silverback 1911
Glock 19 (G4)
Beretta M9
Uberti 1847 Colt Walker
Welcome Yankees. I too am from the lower east-side of Manhattan, 15th Street and 1st Ave. Can't beat Texas though.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 16

Post by Liberty »

I moved from the people's commonwealth of Massachusetts 30 years ago, ain't ever looking back.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

NJ_Expat

Post by NJ_Expat »

rotor wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:34 pmWelcome Yankees. I too am from the lower east-side of Manhattan, 15th Street and 1st Ave. Can't beat Texas though.
Small world, and Stuy Town is nice.

My wife grew up on Grand and Suffolk. Her folks still live there, too. I'm just another scumbag from Bergen County, NJ. And yes...ours is a Yankees/Giants household. ;-)

Texas is just far more pleasant than it is back home. We aren't seeing the same kind of attitude that we're used to. We're loving it here, and the people here are always friendly and happy to point out the accent we never knew we had. :lol::
Last edited by NJ_Expat on Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not a liberal.
Not a conservative.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 18

Post by Jusme »

NJ_Expat wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:06 pm
rotor wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:34 pmWelcome Yankees. I too am from the lower east-side of Manhattan, 15th Street and 1st Ave. Can't beat Texas though.
Small world. My wife grew up on Grand and Suffolk. Her folks still live there, too. I'm just another scumbag from Bergen County, NJ. And yes...ours is a Yankees/Giants household ;-)

Texas is just far more pleasant than it is back home. We're loving it, and the people here are always happy to point out the accent we never knew we had :lol::
Just tell them you weren't born here but you got here as fast as you could!!

You will find some great people here in Texas, as well as a lot of scenery. Take some weekend trips to other parts of the State, but remember, it will take longer to go across Texas than it does NJ. We have counties, bigger than NJ. :mrgreen:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

NJ_Expat

Post by NJ_Expat »

Liberty wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:44 pm I moved from the people's commonwealth of Massachusetts 30 years ago, ain't ever looking back.
I still have family in Haverhill, Mass. And my mother-in-law is from Mass as well. Her siblings are mostly still there, too.
Not a liberal.
Not a conservative.

Nagorg

Post by Nagorg »

Native Texan here! LTC "Mailed" as of yesterday... I'll be stalking my mailbox over the next few days. lol

I was raised to love firearms (and to respect them) by my Grandfather. One of my proudest childhood memories is of the time my Grandfather let me take his Winchester Model 12 in the woods hunting by myself. He never said anything to me about the scratches on the beautiful stock from the briars; I was shorter then so the stock drug through them. Obviously I didn't think of that then either...

@NJ_Expat: Welcome to Texas! I'm in the Lewisville area myself. There is a nice range in town, Eagle Gun Range, and there are a few others in the area too. Of course my favorite range is the family land in East Texas! :fire

-Nagorg

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Welcome Nagorg.

Brooder

Post by Brooder »

Male
Just lost my job yesterday morning. Taking my RSO class on Monday.
This will be the first time I've carried
S&W MP Shield 2.0 with Integrated Laser

Moved here in 2016. I love Texas!

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Welcome to the Forum Brooder. I am sorry you lost your job and I will be praying you find a better one soon.

Carl

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”