My New Kimber (with apologies to USA1)

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Bulldog1911
Posts in topic: 1

Re: My New Kimber (with apologies to USA1)

Post by Bulldog1911 »

That really sucks. And, what's worse is you can read about these types of problems all over the net with Kimber's. So much so, that I don't understand all the hype. I had almost convinced myself into buying a crimson carry a while back. Simply based on the "reputation" of Kimber. Decided to do some research, and it seemed that all i could find were these type of horror stories. I made a decision that, for me, I refuse to spend $1k dollars or so on a gun that may or may not function properly. And that could cost another 1k to "break-in". I don't get it.

Good luck with their customer service, I've heard they're a real pain to deal with, but hopefully they will take care of you.
The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalms 27:1

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Excaliber »

Backslider wrote:
Excaliber wrote:In view of the large number of serious problem reports lately with WWB, I'd suggest trying another good brand (e.g. Remington) to see if the problem persists.

If not, all you may need to do is change ammo brands.
I guess I'm a bit out of the loop. I haven't seen the reports of issues, but I'll go searching.

If an ammo change resolves the problem I will be happier, but given the initial cost of the pistol and the added expense of breaking it in, I'm choosing to stay frustrated for the moment. I thought I knew what I was getting into having read about the problems some other people have experienced, but it's quite different to fight it myself.

As things stand, the pistol is in NY and 'out for delivery'. I'll report back once the service is done and hope to be a satisfied customer sooner rather than later.
You might review this thread to catch up on the experiences some folks have been reporting.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SQLGeek »

Well that's no good. I was going to pick up some WWB when the Federal ran out but I think I'll stick to Federal.
Psalm 91:2

Topic author
Backslider
Posts in topic: 20

Post by Backslider »

Excaliber wrote:You might review this thread to catch up on the experiences some folks have been reporting.

Thanks, that's the one I turned up. This is stuff that was acquired over the last year from different lots - but of course I don't have the boxes of what I've fired to confirm the manufacture location. I'm not having a failure to fire issue, which seems to be the most common report in that thread.

I'll do a visual side-by-side with what I have left against some Federal this weekend.
If I had a gun for every ace I have drawn, I could arm a town the size of Abilene.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Excaliber »

Backslider wrote:
Excaliber wrote:You might review this thread to catch up on the experiences some folks have been reporting.

Thanks, that's the one I turned up. This is stuff that was acquired over the last year from different lots - but of course I don't have the boxes of what I've fired to confirm the manufacture location. I'm not having a failure to fire issue, which seems to be the most common report in that thread.

I'll do a visual side-by-side with what I have left against some Federal this weekend.
On other forums, misaligned projectiles, ripped cases, and out of spec cases have been reported.

Out of spec cases could easily have caused your issues.

It will be interesting to see what Kimber finds.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Topic author
Backslider

Post by Backslider »

Just got a call from Kimber that they are done and I should have it back Tuesday. According to the rep they 'refit the barrel'.

I'm hoping to provide a positive range report next week.
If I had a gun for every ace I have drawn, I could arm a town the size of Abilene.

Topic author
Backslider

Post by Backslider »

Bulldog1911 wrote:Good luck with their customer service, I've heard they're a real pain to deal with, but hopefully they will take care of you.
They quoted 5-6 week turnaround time and had it back in 3. I got a call when they shipped it back to me, but didn't offer a tracking number - I should have asked, I suppose.

The only repair work they listed on the receipt is the aforementioned 'refit the barrel'. I am not certain, but I believe they may have swapped in a new barrel altogether. They test-fired with both the factory magazine and a Wilson that I provided, and included an extra recoil spring in the case.

I got the pistol to the range on Friday and fired 100 rounds of WWB, and 50 each of of Federal and Remington. I had no failures of any kind. I'm happy that the service was performed in a timely manner, but I still have some lingering annoyances about the overall quality of the gun - specifically the durability of the finish and loose grip panels.

If I can get it to perform this well on the next range trip, I will finally be comfortable turning into a carry piece. I just wish I'd given up on attempting to break it in sooner and returned it months ago.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”