Looking for a revolver to qualify with

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Pinkycatcher
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Looking for a revolver to qualify with

Post by Pinkycatcher »

Another agreement for the GP100, I love my dad's GP100, it's a blast to shoot, solid as a brick, actually, more solid, I could break any brick with it and only have scratches on it, good size and weight, can't wait until it's mine! (Of course he can't wait til he can get some of my guns too :lol: )

wally775
Posts in topic: 3

Post by wally775 »

Steve,

Just my .02 opinion but you don't sound like the type to want to carry NSA so
I would agree with austinrealtor that you just borrow one.
I would suggest an S&W 13, 19, 27, 28, 66, 686 ......
The Ruger SP101 or Security Six are excellent also.
Whatever feels good in your hand and floats your boat.
It is your call but you really do not need anything over a 4" barrel.
Shoot .38s. You won't lose any man card points and they cost less.

Whatever you choose make sure it is in good working condition as they will check
for push off and cursory condition check. Do not go to the course without having fired the weapon.
You do not want trouble on the range. You will not use a holster nor need one for the qualification.
Unless they change you will be shooting a green B-27.
I believe if you are remotely familiar with shooting and shoot a couple of times with your choice you will have no problem with qualification.

These are of course just my opinions.
Hope they help you in some way.
If you are in the DFW area I live on the North East side and would be happy to meet FTF.

Good luck.

:tiphat: :txflag:

Cobra Medic

Post by Cobra Medic »

I think it's good for a handgun instructor to have a revolver for teaching but if you don't think you will use the revolver except for your DPS class then it's probably better to borrow than buy.
This will only hurt a little. What comes next, more so.

jamisjockey

Post by jamisjockey »

Another more ancient option is a security six. I've got a 2 3/4" and its a great gun...you can find them in 4" and 6" models.
(Of course, I was just shocked and appalled at what they are selling for at gunbroker.com)

Both my security and my GP have been great beat-around guns. I take one of them whenever I'm doing outdoors stuff...hunting, fishing, camping.

bnc

Post by bnc »

If you want to keep the cost down take a look at the S&W 4" police trade-ins that J&G sells> http://www.jgsales.com/index.php/smith- ... 16_211_431

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

I was one of the 8" folks AustinRealtor was talking about...but with a .357 using .38s. I borrowed it from a friend because I couldn't find factory ammo for my .41. I had never shot the gun before the test and scored a perfect 250 so I don't think you have much to worry about. I'm no pistolero by any stretch.

I'd just borrow one and give the extra box of ammo you take to the friend you borrowed the gun from.

I did have a single action .45 a couple of targets down from me. He qualified but it was taking him every bit of the time to thumb back the hammer and pull the trigger. There was another at the other end of the line. I don't know how he finished but I know he was having some kind of trouble.

Topic author
steve817
Posts in topic: 10

Post by steve817 »

Borrowing one is certainly an option. Only problem is that I would like time to be able to get acquainted with it.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.."
-- Ronald Reagan

Topic author
steve817

Post by steve817 »

bnc wrote:If you want to keep the cost down take a look at the S&W 4" police trade-ins that J&G sells> http://www.jgsales.com/index.php/smith- ... 16_211_431

Great idea! Thanks!
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.."
-- Ronald Reagan

howdy

Post by howdy »

If you are like me, you very seldom shoot a revolver. I borrowed a friends revolver for my first instructor class, then went shopping for my very own qualification gun. I didn't want to spend a wad of money for a gun that I very seldom shoot. I bought a stainless Rossi 357 magnum with a six inch barrel for less than $300. It has adjustable sights and shoots very well. Very, very few instructors qualify with a "carry" gun. I have a S&W model 640 that I would not dare use for my one day CHL instructor qualification. You are out there with people that are shooting 8 inch barrel guns. The goal is to qualify the FIRST opportunity. No one looks at the gun you shoot, but they do look at where the holes are in your target. They do highly encourage you to shoot DA, but I have qualified single action. I use my qual gun as my bed side hand-cannon.

Now days, a qualified instructor only needs to find another instructor to qualify with. That will take a lot of pressure off the re-qual, so you might use a smaller gun after your original instructor class.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

jamisjockey

Post by jamisjockey »

bnc wrote:If you want to keep the cost down take a look at the S&W 4" police trade-ins that J&G sells> http://www.jgsales.com/index.php/smith- ... 16_211_431
Awesome!

Topic author
steve817

Post by steve817 »

wally775 wrote:Steve,

Just my .02 opinion but you don't sound like the type to want to carry NSA so
I would agree with austinrealtor that you just borrow one.
I would suggest an S&W 13, 19, 27, 28, 66, 686 ......
The Ruger SP101 or Security Six are excellent also.
Whatever feels good in your hand and floats your boat.
It is your call but you really do not need anything over a 4" barrel.
Shoot .38s. You won't lose any man card points and they cost less.

Whatever you choose make sure it is in good working condition as they will check
for push off and cursory condition check. Do not go to the course without having fired the weapon.
You do not want trouble on the range. You will not use a holster nor need one for the qualification.
Unless they change you will be shooting a green B-27.
I believe if you are remotely familiar with shooting and shoot a couple of times with your choice you will have no problem with qualification.

These are of course just my opinions.
Hope they help you in some way.
If you are in the DFW area I live on the North East side and would be happy to meet FTF.

Good luck.

:tiphat: :txflag:

Where do you normally shoot at Wally?
-- Ronald Reagan

garcia946

Post by garcia946 »

I used my GP100 , 4" barrel with 38s in it, like others said , very good handgun :thumbs2:
NRA Instructor/RSO
Glock 27 .40 , Sig P229 .40
Right To Carry CHL

wally775

Post by wally775 »

steve817 wrote
Where do you normally shoot at Wally?

The closest ranges to me are Bullettrap and Targetmaster.
I have not been to the McKinney area range.
Most of my shooting has been done on the family farm.

wally775

Topic author
steve817

Post by steve817 »

wally775 wrote:
The closest ranges to me are Bullettrap and Targetmaster.
I have not been to the McKinney area range.
Most of my shooting has been done on the family farm.

wally775
I'm about an hour away, but would like to meet up sometime.
-- Ronald Reagan

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”