Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

surferdaddy
Posts in topic: 21

Re: Pictures Of Your Daily Carry

Post by surferdaddy »

Jusme wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:31 pm
surferdaddy wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:56 pm

Sooo I had developed some odd asymmetrical ware on my old g27. Well; of all my pistols this one is one which I will always have and I don’t mind “customizing” it a bit. I gave it a bit of a rub on the slide. Not too deep so that it removed the carborizing, don’t want rust issues and I like the muted shine. I LOVE sig’s equinox finish.

It’s mine and I like it. I know I’m a dork. Don’t be judgie.

Surfer
I like that! What did you use? Just fine steel wool or something else?
I actually just taped it off here and there and hit it with some progressively finer grit sand paper with light pressure.
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

carlson1 wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:25 pm
surferdaddy wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:56 pm

Sooo I had developed some odd asymmetrical ware on my old g27. Well; of all my pistols this one is one which I will always have and I don’t mind “customizing” it a bit. I gave it a bit of a rub on the slide. Not too deep so that it removed the carborizing, don’t want rust issues and I like the muted shine. I LOVE sig’s equinox finish.

It’s mine and I like it. I know I’m a dork. Don’t be judgie.

Surfer
Would not dare judge, but I have a question. Glock has a pretty good finish that stands up good against rust, etc... My question is when you shined it up did it remove that finish and if so what if anything do you plan to replace it with?
I had long heard about how the nitro carborizing process permeates the steel to a certain depth and that shallow surface modification shouldn’t compromise the corrosion resistance of a treated slide. I was skeptical but noticed that the “high spots” of my slide which were already somewhat shiny from holster wear never showed any corrosion no matter the amount of my highly corrosive sweat. So I figured...why not.

Since my mod I have had the Glock covered in sweat and it seems to resist corrosion as well as ever. If there are any changes I will be sure to post a cautionary tale here.

-surfer
CHL/LTC instructor

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 37

Post by carlson1 »

Thanks. It looks good.

cmgee67
Posts in topic: 3

Post by cmgee67 »

Smith and Wesson model 642-1 in 38sp +P rated

b4aftr
Posts in topic: 1

Post by b4aftr »

KinnyLee wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 12:52 pm She is 14 years old, but still shoot like when she is new. It needs new night sights though. LOL.
ImageSAPro by kinnylee@yahoo.com, on Flickr
Love me a professional. Was my primary dream gun till I shot a 2011, now it’s down a step.

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Scott B. »

I've got an old 34 that we sandblasted the black off. The sights will rust long before the slide ever will.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

Scott B. wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:14 pm I've got an old 34 that we sandblasted the black off. The sights will rust long before the slide ever will.
That’s good to hear!
CHL/LTC instructor

surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

carlson1 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:03 am Thanks. It looks good.
Thank you sir!
CHL/LTC instructor

KinnyLee
Posts in topic: 11

Post by KinnyLee »

b4aftr wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:33 pm
KinnyLee wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 12:52 pm She is 14 years old, but still shoot like when she is new. It needs new night sights though. LOL.
ImageSAPro by kinnylee@yahoo.com, on Flickr
Love me a professional. Was my primary dream gun till I shot a 2011, now it’s down a step.
Nothing wrong with that. :biggrinjester:

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

My EDC
My Truck gun
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

Sooo; just to update anyone interested in the depth and effectiveness of glocks anti corrosion treatment; I have just “tested” it a bit with my “equinox” g27.

I went to Destin Florida with the family, wow, what a beautiful beach. Three days on the beach. Glock went with in the beach bag all days. When possible it was on my person. I got a pretty bad burn and that made me sweat even more than usual. My Glock was COVERED in sweaty salty funk the entire vacation.

Now this is not obviously scientific but I will say that my sweat is particularly offensive to ferrous metals. I rusted up a new lc9 in one day, that was after I had oiled it.

The Glock withstood all of this without a speck of corrosion. If there had been any unprotected “bare” carbon steel the one two punch of my sweat and the gulf’s salinity would have sunk their teeth into it.

I don’t know just how much sanding one could do to a Glock to compromise the treatment but it obviously is more that it takes to simply remove the black coating.

Mod away,
Surfer
CHL/LTC instructor

cmgee67
Posts in topic: 3

Post by cmgee67 »

Update Shield 9mm
And soon to be picked up naa wasp 22mag as a backup pocket rocket
Attachments
ECF1AA23-8D14-495F-AB38-AFC8628F5957.jpeg

Jose_in_Dallas
Posts in topic: 17

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

I've gone full circle on my carry guns. Started off with a Glock 19 over twenty years ago. Then I transitioned to .40 S&W Glocks with a 22,23, and 27. Sold those and moved onto a few different 1911's adding a Glock 21 to the rotation a couple of years ago.

This year I took my first training class shooting over a thousand rounds over a couple of days. Caught the training bug and I realized that shooting .45 ACP isn't cheap. So I moved back to 9mm (I kept all of my .45's) and bought a used Gen 3 Glock 17 earlier in the year (sent it to Robar last month to have them do some magic to it) and picked up this Gen 4 "Summer Special" Glock 19 last Saturday.

Got lucky and found this one on Gun Broker locally for $519 with night sights and the extended slide release. Loving this thing so far and it's a bonus that I can just use the same holsters for it :cool:

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 38

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Post above this one reported as SPAM.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

TexanVeteran

Post by TexanVeteran »

This will be my EDC when my license arrives. I wish I could carry now, but I'm not gonna break any laws. Just vehicle carry for now. And yes, I know it had to be concealed not on my person.
Attachments
IMG_20181124_225355.jpg

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”