No, Don't Want One
23%

Total votes: 47

Topic author
WheySmart
Posts in topic: 21

SKS toys

Post by WheySmart »

I got a Yugoslavian made SKS 59/66 for Christmas and was wondering what toys I should look for at a gun show this weekend. It has a bayonet, wood stock, blued steel and 22mil nato grenade launcher. I plan on buying about 1000 rounds if the price is right.
Other than than I want to look for a bipod that is NOT bayonet lug mounted, I would like suggestions as to which are best and which are not worth buying.
I would also like to know of anything else that is fun, good for desimating an invading army and/or a good BOOM for your buck.
-Colt B.

If you are offended by any of my comments GOOD, the First Amendment dosn't say you have to like what I'm telling you.

Mike1951
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Mike1951 »

Before Jan 1st, I'd order 1000rds from Sportsmans Guide at $142.47 (club price) for the Wolf Classic or $140.57 for the regular Wolf.

Everyone is talking major price increases effective the 1st.

The prices I've been seeing at shows has been from $160-$180.

Buy a bunch of stripper clips and feed it like it was intended.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Topic author
WheySmart

Post by WheySmart »

I am getting it last 2 days of December if all goes as planned...just in time it sounds like. I just want plenty by next election, I may never get resupplied.
-Colt B.

If you are offended by any of my comments GOOD, the First Amendment dosn't say you have to like what I'm telling you.

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

Last year's price per 1000 was about $71.

The first case I bought this year was $90.

It has continued to climb and there was a shortage during 2006 that drove the price even higher.

I continued to place backorders with Sportsmans Guide and just last week had some delivered that cost me $123.

I checked both the Classic and the regular and SPG is out, but that's ok. Place the backorder and they have always honored the price that was in effect at the time of the order.

I don't think you will beat that price at the show.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Topic author
WheySmart

Post by WheySmart »

I also have to consider shipping costs though and my parents dislike online ordering so that limits my ability, not being old enough for a credit card.
-Colt B.

The Marshal
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Marshal »

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com for your SKS needs!

You can also CALL in an order if that makes them more comfortable.

I have the Dragonov stock, but it does make it a lot heavier than the stock wood frame.

~Bill

nitrogen
Posts in topic: 2

Post by nitrogen »

Funny you should post this poll. Just yesterday I got to shoot a marine's sweet-as-heck, new norinco SKS that I have no idea how it got into this country. :confused5 :skep: It was *NICE*

It made me want one.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

There's been a dealer at the last few Pasadena shows selling new Norincos for $169.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Rex B
Posts in topic: 5

what to do

Post by Rex B »

I have a Yugo I bought earlier this year when CTD was running them for $99. New in cosmoline, matching numbers.

I removed bayonet, grenade launcher sight.
Removed grenade launcher and turned the end down so it's just a thin screw-on cap about an inch long. I need to solder it on and blue it.
Also cut the bayonet lug off. I need to machine it down a bit more.
Added a Williams snap-in peep sight in place of the stock sight. I need to change out the front sight to the Williams fibreoptic blade. My old eyes need the help. Someone else makes a nice peep sight that looks military and snaps onto the rear of the receiver. For about $40 I'll probably order one of those.
Looks a lot cleaner now.
Still haven't had a chance to shoot it :cry:
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

kauboy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by kauboy »

Well, I have never heard of this SKS. I just did a little looking and they seem very reasonably priced. What do y'all use them for? Nostalgia? Hunting? Defense, maybe?
Shoot, for $130, I might pick one up just to have another boomstick.
"People should not be afraid of their Governments.
Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 9

Post by KBCraig »

Just to make sure everyone is informed... modifying your SKS can put you afoul of 18 USC 922(r).

Because they're deemed to be without "sporting" value, they're only importable because they're military collectibles. When you modify one into a sporter configuration (or any other configuration that would be non-importable), you have now "manufactured" a banned firearm.

No, it makes no sense, but few of ATF's rulings do. I'm unaware of anyone being prosecuted for this, but it always pays to be cautious about what they could do if they chose to.

Kevin

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

It was myunderstanding that if you add any U.S.-made parts, then you have to have at least 10.
I did not know just removing some parts would change the classification.
So maybe I need to change out some parts for U.S.-made copies?
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Topic author
WheySmart

Post by WheySmart »

I got my SKS for only 120usd...You can't go wrong at that price. I don't hunt, I mostly shoot targets and keep it nearby just incase it needs using.
-Colt B.

Topic author
WheySmart

Post by WheySmart »

I plan on just leaving my grenade launcher, bayonet etc. on. I think it looks nakid if it lacks those things. And if I miss ten times (don't know how that could happen) I always have a pointy stick to fight back with.
-Colt B.

Rex B

why SKS?

Post by Rex B »

Kauboy, SKS is the predecessor to the AK47. They have been imported by the millions, many brand-new, and sell for cheap. Most of the guns you see now are the Yugoslavian M59/66 variant, apparently from a massive lot found in storage - new, unissued - a couple years ago. They are a reliable, fairly accurate 30-caliber plinker. For me it's a relic and a trunk gun that I don't worry about scuffing up.
-----------

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”