A reminder why we need the 2nd amendment:

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

rickb308
Posts in topic: 5

Post by rickb308 »

txinvestigator wrote:
rickb308 wrote:
txinvestigator wrote:First of all, they PAY you fair market value for yout home. But the bottom line is if they go through the legal motions you WILL move out.
You think so? Ask the people losing their homes to the new Dallas Cowboys stadium. They are not even paying appraised values.
Been in the news.

Appraised = what I am taxed at = fair market value.

Me asking 10 15,000 more? May be fair, may not be. But appraised, taxable value IS fair market value.

Now, in light of the US Stupid court, they DON'T have to even offer "fair" market value. The can get the city council to claim emminent domain.

Investment tip: Buy hemp rope.

Because when it comes time to start hanging the SOB's, it'll be in short
supply.
DO you have a link to that info? The last I heard was they WERE being paid FMV?????
For this, I apologize. I cannot find the link. It was on the Greg Knapp show, KLIF 570 AM on Wednesday June 22nd, 4 - 7pm.

However, I have found some more ominous eminent domain issues. 2 separate issues:

Owners Fighting Eminent Domain Freeport, Texas
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1182799/posts

Once complete, the land could have 550 home sites along manmade lakes, several parks and an encircling hike and bike trail.
Most of the owners have been willing to sell, Shaw said. But the city is involved in eminent domain proceedings to get 94 of the 700 remaining lots, Phillips said.

Freeport resident Jeanne McKenzie is one such owner who is not ready to give up her undeveloped tract along Skinner Street. It is willed to her and her sister from her mother, who is living in a nursing home. The offer for it was $100, she said.

$100.00 for a plot of land in the middle of Freeport? I'll take 6 plots this minute.

“I’m not going to sell my property, my inheritance, at this time,� McKenzie said. “It’s ridiculous and an insult. It’s been in my family ever since I can remember.�

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mp ... an/3239024

FREEPORT - With Thursday's Supreme Court decision, Freeport officials instructed attorneys to begin preparing legal documents to seize three pieces of waterfront property along the Old Brazos River from two seafood companies for construction of an $8 million private boat marina.

Seize. That's the same word they use when talking about drug dealers' property and cars belonging to johns. Why would they need to instruct lawyers to prepare document to seize, if they were buying at "fair market value"?
Rick Bowen
TSRA Life Member
lex talionis
I am not a lawyer, and I don't play one on the internet.

rickb308
Posts in topic: 5

Post by rickb308 »

txinvestigator wrote:
rickb308 wrote:
He wouldn't be the 5th or 100th. He also has a problem with the 1st Amendment.

"As responsible gun owners we should refrain from lunatical comments about "the wrong side of our guns".

Or, at least, anyone excersizing it other than him.
If that is directerd at ME, you are foolish. You have no idea of my feelings on the 1st, nor of whom I believe it applies. :roll:

The 1st applies to the GOVERNMENT, not other people telling you that your words have consequences, that you should choose your words wisely and speak responsibly.

While he has a right to say whatever he wishes, it DOES fuel the fires of those who would disarm us when we make statements about resisting court orders with illegal acts using firearms.

Just because we disagree does not mean I am wrong, or that you should attack me and my beliefs. Its seems the pot caling the kettle black, sir.

I NEVER said imminent domain was not a concern to us all (nice of you to make assumptions and statements that are untrue to foster your argument).

You believe I sound like hunters not worried about the AWB, I say you sound like some right-wing, fanatical militia member sitting around watching Red-Dawn and imagining being there. :roll:
You act like the enemy plays by a set of rules. I am tired of people saying we should keep our mouths shut and watch what we say because it might make for a sound bite for the anti's.
Here's a free clue.
The anti's do not need our sound bites. They will make up sound bites, or flat out lie. They do not play by "rules".
Rick Bowen
TSRA Life Member
lex talionis
I am not a lawyer, and I don't play one on the internet.

Paladin
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Paladin »

Confiscating property - Walter E. Williams

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/walt ... 0629.shtml
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

SRVA

Post by SRVA »

I couldn't have said it better:

Somewhere a perversion has taken place. Our natural, inalienable rights are now considered to be a dispensation of government, and freedom has never been so fragile, so close to slipping from our grasp as it is at this moment." -- Ronald Reagan, Oct. 27, 1964

Paladin
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Paladin »

House approves limits on eminent domain use

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mp ... an/3270128

"July 18, 2005, 9:09AM

THE LEGISLATURE
House approves limits on eminent domain use
By POLLY ROSS HUGHES
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle Austin Bureau
RESOURCES
• Complete coverage: See more stories and resources on the 79th Texas Legislature from the Houston Chronicle.

AUSTIN - Private property owners would be protected from state and local governments seizing their land for economic development purposes under a bill overwhelmingly approved by the Texas House Sunday night.

The bill, drafted in response to a recent U.S. Supreme Court decision allowing eminent domain seizures for economic development projects, gained final passage 136-0.

Earlier Sunday, the House also gave final passage to legislation allowing phone companies to offer enhanced TV services throughout Texas, which one report shows will create 12,000 new jobs and $1.8 billion in ongoing annual investments.

The House version of the eminent domain bill was amended to stop the city of Freeport from seizing waterfront land from a family-owned shrimping company to make way for a private marina project.

The Senate has passed similar legislation, but differences must be worked out in a conference committee before midnight Wednesday when the special session ends.

The House bill also requires local approval from county commissioners courts for state use of eminent domain to seize land for gas stations, convenience stores, hotels and other commercial enterprises in the median of the Trans-Texas Corridor, Gov. Rick Perry's ambitious toll road project.

House sponsor Rep. Beverly Woolley, R-Houston, said the recent Supreme Court decision in Kelo vs. New London, Conn., "harms what we hold dear in Texas, the protection of private property rights."

That decision ruled in favor of the city of New London, which condemned 15 private properties for an economic development involving a private corporation.

"Ultimately, what the court decision said is, you are allowed to own property, pay your mortgage, pay your taxes and you can keep your private property until someone offers to pay more taxes on that property," Woolley said. "This decision has shocked and alarmed property owners across the country."

The Supreme Court, in making its decision, specifically said state legislatures and other local governments are free to restrict the use of eminent domain further if they don't want to allow its use for private economic development purposes.

Perry added the eminent domain issue to the special session's agenda after a flood of calls and letters from Texans seeking private property rights.

The House approved several other amendments,including one by Rep. Frank Corte, R-San Antonio, requiring governments to pay replacement value to property owners in certain land seizures.

Rep. Will Hartnett, R-Dallas, protested that the change would affect nearly every eminent domain seizure in Texas and undo 50 years of eminent domain law.

Corte, however, argued property owners have little say when governments seize their land, so it is only fair they get reimbursed for replacing it.

"Did those people ask to have their land taken away? No, they did not," he said.

The bill, which was passed in the Senate 25-4 before the House amended it, makes clear that eminent domain can be used for traditional purposes such as railroads, public roads, utility services, water and wastewater projects and drainage projects. It would allow economic development seizures if the land is blighted and harmful to the public.

The bill allowing phone companies to compete with cable companies will also return to the Senate because it was amended in the House.

It allows companies that want to offer TV services to get a statewide franchise starting in September. In return, the companies would pay a fee based on their gross revenues."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like government still works, at least in Texas :)
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 4

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Paladin wrote:Confiscating property - Walter E. Williams

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/walt ... 0629.shtml
Funny how Walter Williams even sees the implementation of our right to keep and bear arms to this poor judical ruling...

Could it be that the "people" have a check and balance to our government???

Looks that way...

I have never known Walter Williams to be anything but nearly right everytime he puts pen to paper...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”