Can you shoot someone in the back that turns there back to y

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Can you shoot someone in the back that turns there back

Post by C-dub »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Now, if he was stealing my dog, all bets are off. :mrgreen:
If they are running away with my dog it's not because he is stealing him. It's because my dog has a hold of him and won't let go and I'm gonna have get a hold of him before something really bad happens. :smilelol5:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

srothstein wrote:I would suggest anyone with questions about shooting people in the back should do some research. The Force Science Institute in Minneapolis has done some very interesting time-motion studies on things like this. One study showed that a person can be facing you and start to turn as you decide to shoot. Before you could recognize the change and decide to not shoot, the person would have their back to you and you would be shooting them in the back. They have some other studies on what a person can do in a shooting that are also very thought provoking.
Yes, the opposite is also true for the people saying they would watch the person running away and shoot him if he turns around. Action beats reaction. They can turn back and shoot you before you have the time to process and react by shooting them even if you have your gun pointed at them.

i saw a video snippet some years ago that was originally intended for law enforcement training that showed someone on the ground face down being held at gunpoint by an officer. They were able to turn and shoot the officer before the officer could react. They would consistently get the first shot off.

Most people are severely unaware of the whole action versus reaction dynamic. Really, the Tueller drill is another example of this phenomenon.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

couzin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by couzin »

You all do realize that "Buckaroo" has exactly two posts and both are asking pretty serious questions that have provoked some responses that will not get you far in court. Unless Buckaroo comes back online and makes additional comments - there could be a bit of trolling involved here...
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

couzin wrote:You all do realize that "Buckaroo" has exactly two posts and both are asking pretty serious questions that have provoked some responses that will not get you far in court. Unless Buckaroo comes back online and makes additional comments - there could be a bit of trolling involved here...
I have noticed that with a few recent inflammatory questions in the last couple of weeks. It has made me start looking at the post count of someone that posts a question like that and temper my reply, if I reply, based on that number.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
buckaroo815
Posts in topic: 6

Post by buckaroo815 »

couzin wrote:You all do realize that "Buckaroo" has exactly two posts and both are asking pretty serious questions that have provoked some responses that will not get you far in court. Unless Buckaroo comes back online and makes additional comments - there could be a bit of trolling involved here...

First off. I am a Pastor of a church and it intreast me none to do any harm to a soul. As you read my post I put in there that I have heard. It bothered me enough to ask some experts in this feild. When folk have questions about Jesus or Moses they come to me. I simply want to know that the state of TX is not lax in law as some folk told me.

Couzin- Seems you might be an expert in mind reading. When someone ask a question do you analyze every word?

TexasGal

Post by TexasGal »

I think the law does all it can to allow for honest defense of life and property. To make the laws more stringent would result in innocent people being incarcerated. A criminal who makes the decision to perpetrate a crime on you has made the decision to endanger himself. It is a sad thing any time a person loses his life, but the law should give more leeway to the innocent citizen who defended him/herself than to the criminal who chose to act against them.

Perhaps the most difficult thing is to take the natural emotional reaction of righteous anger at being robbed and replace it with the cooler thinking of making sound tactical decisions. I admire the scenario Skiprr laid out and thank him for posting it. I, too, would like to use it as an example to pass along to others. :tiphat: I saw a story on tv a few years back where a young mother was sitting at a desk in her garage checking email in the early hours before dawn. She had raised the door only a small bit to let in cooler air. Suddenly a man slithered under the door and stood up. She instantly realized he would be able to enter the door into the house before she could intercept him. Her children slept in the house. She grabbed her handgun she had handily on her desk and fired a round that missed the guy by a hair. He dived back under the door and took off running. She rushed forward onto a belly position at the door and took aim on his fleeing back. She later said to the camera it was very very difficult to make her self not pull the trigger. She had him and would not have missed. The look on her face showed she was even surprised herself to find it that hard to control her urge to shoot once she felt her children threatened even though the guy was then running away. The ironic thing is she was a liaison for the NRA to legislators. Definitely the wrong garage for that guy to investigate.
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

barstoolguru
Posts in topic: 5

Post by barstoolguru »

for whatever reason he brings an interesting point up for discussion
Some parents say it is toy guns that make boys warlike. But give a boy a rubber duck and he will seize its neck like the butt of a pistol and shout "Bang!"......George Will

couzin

Post by couzin »

buckaroo815 wrote:First off. I am a Pastor of a church and it intreast me none to do any harm to a soul. As you read my post I put in there that I have heard. It bothered me enough to ask some experts in this feild. When folk have questions about Jesus or Moses they come to me. I simply want to know that the state of TX is not lax in law as some folk told me.

Couzin- Seems you might be an expert in mind reading. When someone ask a question do you analyze every word?
Calm down there Rev - I was simply pointing out that the thread (and the other one you started) had gone to three pages and you had not posted another response or commented further. Thus - my thought that there was someone trolling for a bite. If you indeed are here to ask questions and are joining the forum then I apologize and welcome. However - it is a little unusual for a first time poster to put up two provocative questions (shooting a "thug" in the back and shooting someone burglarizing a vehicle) as original posts, have no other other thread comments, and then not join back in the thread again (until I asked about being a troll).

You say in your current response that "I have heard" - actually, you did not start with that premise at all - so folks here have to fill in the blanks. No - I am not a 'mind reader' - don't claim to be either. And yes - I do try to analyze a question as I am a big fan of hermeneutics and critical theory. Much to the annoyance of a bunch of members on this forum I am sure.

Wher is your church? Lots of member on here belong and are always looking for churches to attend that support 2a rights.

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

buckaroo815 wrote:

First off. I am a Pastor of a church and it intreast me none to do any harm to a soul. As you read my post I put in there that I have heard. It bothered me enough to ask some experts in this feild. When folk have questions about Jesus or Moses they come to me. I simply want to know that the state of TX is not lax in law as some folk told me.

Hello buckaroo and welcome to our forum. Hang around and you will learn quite a lot about the CC law and just who is the typical CHL. Feel free to ask questions, it's all about learning.

I live in mid-county so we are neighbors. Do you shoot?
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

Bart
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Bart »

buckaroo815 wrote:Can you shoot someone in the back that turns there back to you after robbing you at gun point?
I can. I don't know about you, so I can't answer that.
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

Topic author
buckaroo815

Post by buckaroo815 »

couzin wrote:
buckaroo815 wrote:First off. I am a Pastor of a church and it intreast me none to do any harm to a soul. As you read my post I put in there that I have heard. It bothered me enough to ask some experts in this feild. When folk have questions about Jesus or Moses they come to me. I simply want to know that the state of TX is not lax in law as some folk told me.

Calm down there Rev - I was simply pointing out that the thread (and the other one you started) had gone to three pages and you had not posted another response or commented further. Thus - my thought that there was someone trolling for a bite. If you indeed are here to ask questions and are joining the forum then I apologize and welcome. However - it is a little unusual for a first time poster to put up two provocative questions (shooting a "thug" in the back and shooting someone burglarizing a vehicle) as original posts, have no other other thread comments, and then not join back in the thread again (until I asked about being a troll).

You say in your current response that "I have heard" - actually, you did not start with that premise at all - so folks here have to fill in the blanks. No - I am not a 'mind reader' - don't claim to be either. And yes - I do try to analyze a question as I am a big fan of hermeneutics and critical theory. Much to the annoyance of a bunch of members on this forum I am sure.

Wher is your church? Lots of member on here belong and are always looking for churches to attend that support 2a rights.
I am a Pastor of a Assemblies of God church in Beaumont TX.

http://lighthouse-worshipcenter.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; check me out. I did join to only ask questions that I have heard about the CHL program to know if they are fact or not.

Topic author
buckaroo815

Post by buckaroo815 »

Jim Beaux wrote:
buckaroo815 wrote:

Hello buckaroo and welcome to our forum. Hang around and you will learn quite a lot about the CC law and just who is the typical CHL. Feel free to ask questions, it's all about learning.

I live in mid-county so we are neighbors. Do you shoot?
Hello Jim. I do like to shoot. I am a member of South East Texas Gun Club in Vidor. I shoot about 1-3 times a month. Maybe we can sometime.

TexasGal

Post by TexasGal »

Buckaroo,

I hope you will spend more time with us and learn for yourself that while there may be some bravado here and there in posts, the vast majority of CHL holders are only concerned with protecting themselves legally and only to the extent necessary to stop an imminent threat. If you will check the data available from the DPS, you will find CHL holders are among the most law abiding of all groups of people. The laws can be confusing as to exactly when deadly force is defensible and when it isn't for some situations. The posts regarding those can invite more heated responses.

Please don't judge all by those few that sound like they may be too willing to shoot someone in what looks like a grey situation. A split decision must be made in an emergency and courts do judge the outcome if it was not clearly a warranted response. All who carry think about this a lot. Any instructor who teaches will tell you students are very concerned with the laws and they are seeking a means to protect themselves, not a means of being a vigilante, etc. Any time an Instructor feels a student is voicing alarming ideas to the contrary, he or she is encouraged by the DPS to notify them so they can investigate the applicant more deeply. If you don't already know the requirements to be able to obtain a license, it's a pretty long list. People who can't stay out of trouble don't qualify. The chl classes have a lot of older citizens and women too.

Welcome to our forum. I hope you will become a part of our community and please do ask any questions you may have. No one meant to offend you. We sometimes get new posters whose only desire is to cause an uproar. Since your initial posts were on two hot button subjects, it was natural to think perhaps you were one of those.
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

couzin

Post by couzin »

Too far south for me - but I know there are several folks on this forum from that direction. If you visit up here - always happy to guest someone at my shooting club as well. We are Presbyterian - hope that doesn't turn you off... ;-). Happy to have you here!

rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Keith B wrote:.
. But the loss of whatever was in my wallet would have to be particularly ruinous to me to make me believe that shooting him in the back as he walked away would be worth it. That loss would have to outweigh the almost certain loss to me in legal defense fees, and it is pretty much certain that there is nothing in my wallet that is worth $50K or more......not to mention the possibility of incarceration.
:
One thing you keep forgetting in your evaluation of the wallet. It has your address in it. It has your identity in it. What is of value in the wallet is your wifes safety, your kids safety, your homes sanctity, your identity which takes years to recover from and usually well over your $50k limit to get cleared up. Yes, my wallet is of more value to me than a street thug who has no care of his own life. He chooses to take the chance and at some point he will roll craps. My $12 wallet is of great value to me. The implicit value is much much greater than the explicit value contained therein.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”