Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
VMI77
Posts in topic: 3

Carrying a gun in Israel

Post by VMI77 »

http://doubletapper.blogspot.com/search ... y%20permit

Interesting gun blog from Israel. Note the photos of armed civilians in public.

From the blog:

Here in Israel, where weapons permits are issued to those that need them, and are limited to a single weapon per person, there is no such thing as concealed carry.

Or open carry.

Weapons permits for private citizens are granted as Carry Permits.

So you can chose based on fashion, comfort, tactics, or personal preference how you want to carry your weapon. As long as you have your valid Carry Permit and ID on your person, you can legally carry just about anywhere in the country.

I've carried my pistol openly in government offices, military installations, malls, supermarkets, sports arenas, and synagogues. I've even been to political functions and open carried with our current Prime Minister in the room.

Edited to add:

From the same blog, here's the kind of article you won't see our MSM.....and something the antis claim is impossible anyway:
Armed civilians kill terrorist in Jerusalem

An Arab Terrorist armed with a Kalashnikov Rifle and a bomb vest infiltrated the Merkaz HaRav Yeshiva library tonight at 20:40, and opened automatic fire in all directions at the scores of rabbinical students there. After several minutes, 40-year-old Rabbi Yitzchak Dadon, shot the attacker in the head with his personal weapon. David Shapira, a graduate, heard the shots from his nearby home, ran to the yeshiva and "finished [the terrorist] off."

The Terrorist was resident of the south Jerusalem suburb and was an Israeli citizen. His bomb vest did not detonate.

Once again armed civilians managed to prevent a terrorist from killing many more.

Schools should always allow legally armed civilians on campus to act as a deterrent and to protect the unarmed.

Current reports, six dead, more injured, and a tragedy was prevented.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

JJVP
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Carrying a gun in Israel

Post by JJVP »

Note the photos of armed civilians in public.
I like this photo better.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/bikini- ... -1.1113980" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2nd Amendment. America's Original Homeland Security.
Alcohol, Tobacco , Firearms. Who's Bringing the Chips?
No Guns. No Freedom. Know Guns. Know Freedom.

snatchel

Post by snatchel »

Israel gets it....
No More Signature

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 6

Post by RoyGBiv »

VMI77 wrote:Schools should always allow legally armed civilians on campus to act as a deterrent and to protect the unarmed.
:hurry: :patriot:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

snatchel wrote:Israel gets it....
The thing with Israel is they HAVE to get it...or they might "get it"... :shock:

{TEX}Hawaii 99

Post by {TEX}Hawaii 99 »

Those photos are totally legit. I visited Israel some time ago and girls up and down the beach with M16s and the like.
15 JUL 09 - CHL Class
16 JUL 09 - Packet Mailed
13 AUG 09 - PIN Received
10 SEP 09 - Plastic In Hand!!!!

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Israeli gun laws have taken a dramatic turn for the worst in the last several years. I recently read an article about Israel tightening the eligibility requirements for obtaining a permit. It specifically mentioned that diamond brokers (or perhaps it was jewelers) once were automatically entitled to a permit, but no longer. The article mentioned a concerted effort by the Israeli government to reduce the number of people who could own/carry weapons. I was stunned to say the least.

In the mid 1970's, I wanted to visit Israel, but my wife was afraid to go because of terrorist attacks and we had two small kids. I talked to the Israeli consul about Americans carrying handguns and the response was "sure you can, you're an American!" I made the same call around 1995 or so and you would have thought I was asking to bring a nuke into the country. I was asked why I wanted a gun and when I said for the same reason every Israeli carries a gun, she responded "not anymore they don't."

Don't take my comments as being the list bit anti-Israel. I love that country and I'd expend every round of ammo and every nuke the U.S. has to defend Israel. But I'm dismayed to see such a dramatic and detrimental turn on the gun control issue.

Chas.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 6

Post by RoyGBiv »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I'm dismayed to see such a dramatic and detrimental turn on the gun control issue.

Chas.
Democracy's fatal flaw.... The sheep-minded outnumber the sheepdog-minded.
Eventually the sheep-minded are lulled into a false sense of security, and the majority become willing to "give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary (perceived) safety"
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

tool4daman

Post by tool4daman »

I am currently in Israel on business, and am yet to see what I would term a "civilian" openly carrying. I've seen many soldiers and security (both male and female) carrying, but never what appears to be a person not employed in some type of official defense. I've been here two weeks on this trip, and was here four months earlier this year. That is not to say that I have not come across any that carry concealed.

I have discussed the fact that I carry a firearm (when in the United States) with many of my Israeli colleagues and friends. Funny thing is that most of my Israeli friends who have moved to the U.S. carry as well, but most of my Israeli friends who live here in Israel are very surprised that we feel the need/desire to carry in the U.S. Of all the people I know/work with/have discussed this with here in Tel Aviv, I have only met one person who has a license. SHE was issued a license when she was in the IL army about 15 years ago, and has maintained her license ever since. She does not carry on her person; she keeps her pistol at home. She lives in a sub-burb just north of Tel Aviv, and works in another sub-burb just north of Tel Aviv.

I was also told by several friends here that it is in fact difficult to get a carry permit, unless you are an Israeli citzen who lives near a Palestinian controlled area.
Best advice I was ever given- Don't mess with the dog while he's eatin'.

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RHenriksen »

What a shame
tool4daman wrote:I was also told by several friends here that it is in fact difficult to get a carry permit, unless you are an Israeli citzen who lives near a Palestinian controlled area.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Topic author
VMI77
Posts in topic: 3

Post by VMI77 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Israeli gun laws have taken a dramatic turn for the worst in the last several years. I recently read an article about Israel tightening the eligibility requirements for obtaining a permit. It specifically mentioned that diamond brokers (or perhaps it was jewelers) once were automatically entitled to a permit, but no longer. The article mentioned a concerted effort by the Israeli government to reduce the number of people who could own/carry weapons. I was stunned to say the least.

In the mid 1970's, I wanted to visit Israel, but my wife was afraid to go because of terrorist attacks and we had two small kids. I talked to the Israeli consul about Americans carrying handguns and the response was "sure you can, you're an American!" I made the same call around 1995 or so and you would have thought I was asking to bring a nuke into the country. I was asked why I wanted a gun and when I said for the same reason every Israeli carries a gun, she responded "not anymore they don't."

Don't take my comments as being the list bit anti-Israel. I love that country and I'd expend every round of ammo and every nuke the U.S. has to defend Israel. But I'm dismayed to see such a dramatic and detrimental turn on the gun control issue.

Chas.

The collectivists have infected just about every country on the planet.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

bnc

Post by bnc »

Israeli gun permit requirements from 2002, courtesy of the JPFO.

http://jpfo.org/filegen-a-m/israel-firearms.htm

nyj

Post by nyj »

The more you know...

Very cool. Never knew any of this, and the pictures were awesome.

philip964
Posts in topic: 11

Post by philip964 »

JJVP wrote:
Note the photos of armed civilians in public.
I like this photo better.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/bikini- ... -1.1113980" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'd hit the like button, so this will have to do.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

tool4daman wrote:I am currently in Israel on business, and am yet to see what I would term a "civilian" openly carrying. I've seen many soldiers and security (both male and female) carrying, but never what appears to be a person not employed in some type of official defense. I've been here two weeks on this trip, and was here four months earlier this year. That is not to say that I have not come across any that carry concealed.
Thanks for the firsthand account.

I also, naively, thought that Israel remained another bastion of personal rights to firearms. Since WWII--a relatively short period, historically speaking--we've seen societies previously imbued in firearm culture turn into capitulating, defenseless drones. Think Canada, Australia, England.

All the more reason we need to be, as the NRA tagline says, "ALL IN."
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”