List price gougers here

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

USA1
Posts in topic: 1

Re: List price gougers here

Post by USA1 »

Free market capitalism.

By the way, USA1 is asking one million dollars for a used AK.
:leaving
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

Dreamliner
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Dreamliner »

If some idiot wants to pay that much so be it, y'all should have stocked up earlier. I think eventually the manufacture and distributors will roll out a price increases to the rest of the supply chain and thus it will eventually cost us more for everything. I worry about the consumables like ammo.

OldCannon
Posts in topic: 8

Post by OldCannon »

Dreamliner wrote:If some idiot wants to pay that much so be it, y'all should have stocked up earlier. I think eventually the manufacture and distributors will roll out a price increases to the rest of the supply chain and thus it will eventually cost us more for everything. I worry about the consumables like ammo.

There is speculation that the ATF will increase licensing costs next year for FFLs. At a minimum, given the Obamacare taxes kicking in next year, you should reasonably expect prices to go up across the board on most products, regardless of industry. The operating costs are extremely high now. Prices will NOT stay the same. Most places just won't say it's Obamacare taxes, because that's politically incorrect now. They'll just say "higher operational costs" (true) or "supplier cost increases" (also likely true) or "inflation" (true, but that's a separate problem).
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

OldCannon wrote:
Dreamliner wrote:If some idiot wants to pay that much so be it, y'all should have stocked up earlier. I think eventually the manufacture and distributors will roll out a price increases to the rest of the supply chain and thus it will eventually cost us more for everything. I worry about the consumables like ammo.

There is speculation that the ATF will increase licensing costs next year for FFLs. At a minimum, given the Obamacare taxes kicking in next year, you should reasonably expect prices to go up across the board on most products, regardless of industry. The operating costs are extremely high now. Prices will NOT stay the same. Most places just won't say it's Obamacare taxes, because that's politically incorrect now. They'll just say "higher operational costs" (true) or "supplier cost increases" (also likely true) or "inflation" (true, but that's a separate problem).
It is my belief that ultimately, this will be the way gun control is enforced. Ammo has remained occasionally scarce for 3 years now and with this feeding frenzy in the gun industry, I suspect that it will get worse. The Feds can drive up FFL costs and will use a law to close the "gun show loophole."

5 years from now, only the Elite may be able to afford guns. That is exactly what they want. I'm very much in favor of free market pricing but I have to believe that the Lib crowd is just wringing their hands with glee over the price escalation on guns. All they have to do is keep pressure on the supply and the problem takes care of itself.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

Yes to most of the above. We can't thump our chest about the virtues of capitalism & free markets without accepting the realities of supply & demand and free markets.

(Easier for me to say since I had my shopping spree Friday afternoon before everything went crazy...)
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

OldCannon
Posts in topic: 8

Post by OldCannon »

chasfm11 wrote:The Feds can drive up FFL costs and will use a law to close the "gun show loophole."
Actually, as an FFL, I would welcome a type of "gun show loophole" closure - that a gun show can either exclusively have private sellers or only allow sales by FFLs as a "sanctioned event." The reason I say this is that it would eliminate the "professional private seller" that you see working tables at just about every gun show on the weekends. These folks buy and sell used guns all the time and operate in the "private sale" bubble. The challenge is that there aren't enough ATF people to enforce existing laws on private sellers that are genuinely operating "in the business" of selling firearms, which requires a license (and all that nasty paperwork, you know?). So, right now, FFLs who have gone through great trouble and expense to operate a business (and all that pesky sales tax stuff) are receiving "competition" from sellers that have all the benefits and none of the overhead. It would not surprise me, in fact, if the ATF passed such a ruling, as it would require no statutory law, merely a clarification of what a "sanctioned event" is.

Of course, this is my solitary opinion, and it is clearly colored by my perspective (now) as an FFL. It's definitely not something I've suggested to the ATF (nor would I), but it's definitely an annoyance among the FFLs I know.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

karder

Post by karder »

OldCannon wrote:Sure, I could have jacked prices, made money, and bought somebody a few more presents at Christmas, but at what cost to my business?
As others have said, in a free market the seller can ask what he wants and the buyer can take the price or leave it. I believe that Old Cannon has the right perspective. A successful small business is all about relationships with customers and loyal cliental. I have spent tens of thousands of dollars over the years at one local gun shop where I purchase exclusively. There are days when I could save a buck or two by shopping Academy, but I would rather keep my money with a local business who is looking out for my best interest and treats me like a neighbor.
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

Sangiovese

Post by Sangiovese »

OldCannon wrote:
chasfm11 wrote:The Feds can drive up FFL costs and will use a law to close the "gun show loophole."
Actually, as an FFL, I would welcome a type of "gun show loophole" closure - that a gun show can either exclusively have private sellers or only allow sales by FFLs as a "sanctioned event." The reason I say this is that it would eliminate the "professional private seller" that you see working tables at just about every gun show on the weekends. These folks buy and sell used guns all the time and operate in the "private sale" bubble. The challenge is that there aren't enough ATF people to enforce existing laws on private sellers that are genuinely operating "in the business" of selling firearms, which requires a license (and all that nasty paperwork, you know?). So, right now, FFLs who have gone through great trouble and expense to operate a business (and all that pesky sales tax stuff) are receiving "competition" from sellers that have all the benefits and none of the overhead. It would not surprise me, in fact, if the ATF passed such a ruling, as it would require no statutory law, merely a clarification of what a "sanctioned event" is.

Of course, this is my solitary opinion, and it is clearly colored by my perspective (now) as an FFL. It's definitely not something I've suggested to the ATF (nor would I), but it's definitely an annoyance among the FFLs I know.
It seems reasonable to me that if you sell more than X number of firearms in a month/year then you are in the business of selling firearms. What number for X is reasonable? I'm not sure... but it seems like there should be a number that is high enough to not inhibit regular Joes from selling items that they no longer need/want and yet low enough to not allow the "professional private seller" to bypass the hurdles that FFLs face.

As for price gouging in general, I fully support a property owner's right to charge whatever the heck he wants for his property. I also support the customer's right to complain/protest if they feel that the seller is unreasonable. Should you be able to take advantage of circumstances to make a big profit? Sure you should. And if you do, you should be willing to face whatever backlash results. CTD can sell their PMAGS for $60. They won't sell them to me at that price. Nor will they sell anything else to me now. If the extra $45 per unit on their inventory of pmags was worth the loss of a customer to them, then that's their choice.
NRA Endowment Member. Texas LTC Instructor. NRA certified Pistol & Home Firearm Safety Instructor - Range Safety Officer

Any comments about legal matters are general in nature and are not legal advice. Nothing posted on this forum is intended to establish an attorney-client relationship.

CC Italian

Post by CC Italian »

WOW! Major price gouging going on at CTD. Not that I don't have enough ammo on hand but I just wanted to check out what everybody has been saying.I will not use them again! I will stick with one of the dozens of online dealers that are not gouging. I know the whole capitalism speech I will get but I am sorry certain calibers went up over 100% on their website. That is just wrong! If you pay that you are a sucker! Get enough for now until it comes down. Gouging like that didn't even happen in 08.

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Quote: "Gouging like that didn't even happen in 08." Oh yes it did. CTD was leader of the pack with at least the .380 ammo. Many folks on the national forums back then said "Never again."
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

CC Italian

Post by CC Italian »

Didn't know CTD gouged back in 08. I didn't use them then. Interesting though. Well like I said they aren't the only guys selling ammo. They should at least change their name! "rlol"

doc540

Post by doc540 »

I guess we'll know the end is near when we see wheel weight gouging. :grumble
http://www.train2shoot.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Lifetime Member
NRA Instructor
"Shooting more, typing less"

PBR
Posts in topic: 4

Post by PBR »

well luckily i just picked up 4 okay industries 30rd mags today 12 bucks each -- if anyone is interested i have the guys number he has a bunch more
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
Received Pin# - Feb. 25th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

howdy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by howdy »

I have 3 AR's and bought them all right after Obama was elected the first time. I paid over $1100 for each of them and I watched the price fall to $800 plus or minus for each one. Supply and demand. If there is no ban, the manufacturers will produce more and the price will come down. If there is a ban, one or two scenarios will come up...(1)you ARE allowed to sell your guns, and the price will go WAY up, OR (2) you are NOT allowed to legally sell your gun and the price won't matter.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

glbedd53

Post by glbedd53 »

I was in Arms Room yesterday and the place looked like it had been looted. There was nothin left except a .32 derringer and a Broomhandle Mauser. I could see the dust outline on the wall where the powerful asault weapons used to be.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”