SR 1911 Disappointed

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
steve817
Posts in topic: 4

SR 1911 Disappointed

Post by steve817 »

Last week I finally got one. I have been wanting it since they were introduced and have seen nothing but positive reviews on them. Friday I take it to the range with a couple of boxes of PMC Bronze FMJ. Using the 7 round magazine, I was 16 rounds in and then it happened. The best way I can describe it is that one round didn't go in to full battery and the next one was also being stripped from the magazine as well. Double feed?

I locked the slide back, dropped the magazine, tilted the barrel down so that the one in the chamber would slide into position. hit the slide release, fired the round (at the target), re-inserted the magazine and shot until the magazine was empty. Before I finished the box it happened on two more occasions. I was out there with my 12 year old daughter and her friend and we were all sharing a lane so I stopped after using up the first box of ammo. I didn't have time to test the 8 round magazine.

I'm hoping at this point that it is just a problem with the 7 round magazine but was wondering if any of the 1911 experts wanted to weigh in.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.."
-- Ronald Reagan

MoJo
Posts in topic: 1

Re: SR 1911 Disappointed

Post by MoJo »

Not an expert but I am a reasonably knowledgeable person. It sounds like a bad magazine or, that gun doesn't like that brand of ammo. Try the other mag if it still does it try a Tripp or Wilson mag if it still does it send it back to Ruger.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

AEA
Posts in topic: 3

Post by AEA »

:iagree:

Most problems like this are related to the 8 round mags as the Govt. 1911 was designed for a 7 rounder.

Since you are having the problem with a 7 rounder, I would bet the Mag is defective. You did not say if it came NEW with the gun or if you used one that you have had for awhile.

If it is the latter, maybe you need a new spring for that mag or possibly the follower profile does not like the Ruger's feed angle.

If it was the Ruger factory new mag, then it's their problem, or as you say, it could also be the PMC ammo.
I always use Quality ammo when breaking in and then later on..... use the cheap stuff for range once I am satisfied with the gun.

Wilson mags are good but I sold all of mine and now only use Tripp Cobra 7 round mags in both my Govt. and Officer 1911's. They are expensive but they work well and they are also beautifully polished and made in Texas! :thumbs2: :txflag:
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

DocV
Posts in topic: 6

Post by DocV »

It is not uncommon for new 1911s to have initial feed problems. Magazines can certainly contribute to feed issues as can other factors. Frequently, mag problems can be overcome with newer and stronger magazine springs. I keep a batch of Wolff +10% (11 pound) 7 round springs for problematic magazines.

Next comes the ammo. Can you measure the OAL of some of your PMC rounds?

To be certain I understand the issue is it correct that this was your first outing with your 1911? If that is the case, did you lubricate the pistol before your range outing?

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

:iagree:

And I have had a similar experience with the first round out of the mag. The rest of the mag feeds just fine, just not the first round. A little adjustment of the magazine lips fixed it.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

Though I am not a knowledgeable 1911 guy, I do own a basic GI model Springfield 1911 that I like to take to the range on occasion. The cheapo mags that came with it weren't very reliable at all, including some failures-to-feed. I solved that by buying Chip McCormick Powermags. That thing runs good now, haven't had a problem since (except with some lousy MFS brand ammo from Hungary...but those were failure-to-fire on the first primer strike).

DocV

Post by DocV »

PM me a shipping address. I will mail you a spare Wolff spring.

AEA

Post by AEA »

Now, there's a COOL CHL'er for ya!

DocV, you can mail me that chepo Royal Blue .45! :smilelol5:
Last edited by AEA on Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1911's RULE!

rentz
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rentz »

I haven't had issues with my ruger mags but I mostly use Wilson combat.
I'd try different mags and if it still happens break down for a good cleaning, if it still happens call ruger

Rangel

Post by Rangel »

Sounds defective. Mail it to me and I'll dispose of it properly for you. "rlol"

DocV

Post by DocV »

AEA wrote:Now, there's a COOL CHL'er for ya!

DocV, you can mail me that chepo Royal Blue .45! :smilelol5:
yeah, the Volkmann has around 2500 rounds through the tube. Guess it is worn out :biggrinjester:

Topic author
steve817

Post by steve817 »

AEA wrote::iagree:

You did not say if it came NEW with the gun or if you used one that you have had for awhile.

: :txflag:

They were new with the pistol.

DocV wrote:It is not uncommon for new 1911s to have initial feed problems. Magazines can certainly contribute to feed issues as can other factors. Frequently, mag problems can be overcome with newer and stronger magazine springs. I keep a batch of Wolff +10% (11 pound) 7 round springs for problematic magazines.

Next comes the ammo. Can you measure the OAL of some of your PMC rounds?

To be certain I understand the issue is it correct that this was your first outing with your 1911? If that is the case, did you lubricate the pistol before your range outing?
Please pardon my ignorance, what is OAL? Overall length?
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.."
-- Ronald Reagan

Topic author
steve817

Post by steve817 »

jimlongley wrote::iagree:

And I have had a similar experience with the first round out of the mag. The rest of the mag feeds just fine, just not the first round. A little adjustment of the magazine lips fixed it.
That is the strangest part to me, it is like the second or third round.
-- Ronald Reagan

AEA

Post by AEA »

OK I still go with weak mag spring and/or timing due to low power ammo.
1911's RULE!

cbunt1

Post by cbunt1 »

I'm inclined to agree with some of the other posts here -- weak spring or generally defective magazine. That it occurs on the 2nd or 3rd round isn't terribly surprising -- 1911's are famous for feed issues on the third round, and the third to the last round -- and these are almost always tied to spring timing issues.

They're the only pistols I recommend non-factory magazines for consistently. I use Wilson and Chip McCormick magazines myself, but as mentioned, the Tripps are top-notch, and there are a few other brands that are proving reliable these days.

Even on guns that do present true (non magazine related) issues, I personally don't recommend working on one or sending it back for touch-up until it's had 500 factory rounds through it. I typically use Winchester White Box ammo as a "test bed" when I'm running into issues, but I've been satisfied with PMC and Blazer Brass as well -- all three brands seem to make SAMMI spec.

You asked about references to OAL -- it's a reloader's term, referring to the OverAll Length of the round. It's but one factor when it comes to 1911 feeding issues -- there are also profile considerations. Again the PMC, Winchester, and Blazer Brass seem to have the proper bullet profile for feeding in unmodified 1911-pattern pistols (and in the context I'm referring to, there are very few, if any "unmodified" pistols on the market--most have throat angle and ramp improvements over the original Military Spec).

Sorry -- didn't mean to get too technical here. In short, try a Chip McCormick, TripLite, or Wilson magazine, run another 450 rounds through the gun, and I'd bet it smooths out. If not, then it's time to take a hard look at what's going on. 1911's usually require a break-in period, and frankly, the better built the pistol is, the more likely it is to need a break-in.

Hope this helps!
American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”