M1 Garand sighting in today.

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
C-dub
Posts in topic: 16

M1 Garand sighting in today.

Post by C-dub »

I bought my first M1 Garand last weekend and got it out to the range today. It dates back to 1944 and I got it from a friend of my BILs. I cleaned it a bit and took it with me to a match I was helping out with today to see if I could shoot it afterward. Once I brought it out it gathered some attention and I got some advice and tips from a couple very knowledgeable friends.

I put it on a sled on the 50 yard area and took the first shot. It was about 6 inches high and two inches right. The second shot was about 4 inches high and 1 inch right. Third shot, 4 inches high and 1 inch left. Fourth shot, bulls-eye! I shot two 8-round clips and the first three were in the 7, 8, 8 rings respectively. Twelve other shots were in the bulls-eye or 10 ring with one loner that was in the 9-ring. Next time, I'll get it over on the 100 yard and maybe 200 yard range and see what we can do.

I would include a picture, but I don't know how to do that. I'll bring it with me next week if anyone is interested. Maybe someone there will know how to do it and can post here for me.

I'm very happy with this rifle. I guess now I'll have to restore my Dad's 1903 that he trashed the original stock because it was too heavy and put a sporterized one on.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Dadtodabone
Posts in topic: 1

Re: M1 Garand sighting in today.

Post by Dadtodabone »

Congratulations on the Garand!
I guess now I'll have to restore my Dad's 1903 that he trashed the original stock because it was too heavy and put a sporterized one on.
A303 drop in. http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/wwispringfiel ... stock.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; they are out of stock now, I'd shoot 'em an email to get on a waiting list or check on drill rifle stocks you could refinish
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Dadtodabone wrote:Congratulations on the Garand!
I guess now I'll have to restore my Dad's 1903 that he trashed the original stock because it was too heavy and put a sporterized one on.
A303 drop in. http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/wwispringfiel ... stock.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; they are out of stock now, I'd shoot 'em an email to get on a waiting list or check on drill rifle stocks you could refinish
Looks nice. I'll keep an eye on that. Thanks.

I'm going to hit some of the gun shows coming up to see if anyone has something there.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

G26ster
Posts in topic: 2

Post by G26ster »

C-dub wrote:
Dadtodabone wrote:Congratulations on the Garand!
Looks nice. I'll keep an eye on that. Thanks.

I'm going to hit some of the gun shows coming up to see if anyone has something there.
Here are complete stock "sets" from the CMP. Looks like the Sarconic are not a complete set (no hand guard)
Scroll down on this page.

http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/stocksets.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SC1903A3

Post by SC1903A3 »

Glad your happy with the M1. I got mine thru the CMP and love it. I also have the companion Smith Corona 03A3. I would recommend you set up an account with the CMP as you can by Greek 30-06 ammo $98 for a case of 200 rounds plus $11.95 per can shipping.

Post by 77346 »

I finally decided to pull the trigger on a M1 Garand and mailed the ordering form and additional documents to CMP today. Looks like a 2-3 month wait at the moment and they only have H&R's on field and service grades.

Depending on a. if I get one, and b. how it looks and its history, I may get it restored at James River Armory

http://www.jamesriverarmory.com/compone ... gory_id=38
Alex
NRA Benefactor Life & TSRA Life Member
Bay Area Shooting Club Member
CHL since 7/12 | 28 days mailbox-to-mailbox

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

77346 wrote:I finally decided to pull the trigger on a M1 Garand and mailed the ordering form and additional documents to CMP today. Looks like a 2-3 month wait at the moment and they only have H&R's on field and service grades.

Depending on a. if I get one, and b. how it looks and its history, I may get it restored at James River Armory

That sounds like a good idea if the rifle is in bad shape. I see they can also do 1903A3's. Unfortunately, my 1903 is not an A3.

howdy

Post by howdy »

77346 wrote:I finally decided to pull the trigger on a M1 Garand and mailed the ordering form and additional documents to CMP today. Looks like a 2-3 month wait at the moment and they only have H&R's on field and service grades.

I ordered mine from CMP at the end od December and got it in the middle of February. (6-7 weeks) I did not get notified that it had been shipped. Look at your account with CMP and when they bill your credit card, it is getting real close. You have to be at home to sign for it. Mine is a service grade Springfield manufactured in January of 1942. It is beautiful. I was VERY pleased with this rifle. It was supposed to have the owners manual and one clip, but I received neither. The owners manual is online and you can get 10 clips for around $20 from many online dealers. You might want to order some of the CMP surplus Greek 30.06 rounds. They come in an ammo can with 200 loose roounds for $98. These rounds are a little shorter than the hunting 30.06 that I bought and they seem to go into the magazine well a little easier. Watch a few you tube videos on loading the clip and placing the clip in the rifle. That will save you a painful injury when the bolt slams shut on your finger/thumb.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

This thread on the CMP Garand Forum shows pics of recent Service Grades. Look darn near new. Don't know if you ordered a Field or Service Grade though.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=101702" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

texasmusic
Posts in topic: 3

Post by texasmusic »

howdy wrote:painful injury when the bolt slams shut on your finger/thumb.
:smash: It got me once, but only once!
Ubi libertas habitat ibi nostra patria est

Post by 77346 »

I ordered a field grade, but put a note that if they're out to get me a service grade. Looks like the SA and Winchesters are gone, and I understand the HRA's are post WWII. That's why I am considering getting it restored... if it was a WWII rifle I don't think I would change a thing.

I've ordered 10 clips... from Amazon... if they don't feel good I'll order some from Brownells. Clips are cheap... $20 x 10, so not a big deal.

I have 30-06 ammo... but 200 @ $98 + S&H for Greek surplus sounds like a heck of a deal... Academy wanted $35 for 20 rnds of Hornady (the hunting stuff)... I have enough 30-06 but I can always use a bit more! :lol:
Alex
NRA Benefactor Life & TSRA Life Member
Bay Area Shooting Club Member
CHL since 7/12 | 28 days mailbox-to-mailbox

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

77346 wrote: I have 30-06 ammo... but 200 @ $98 + S&H for Greek surplus sounds like a heck of a deal... Academy wanted $35 for 20 rnds of Hornady (the hunting stuff)... I have enough 30-06 but I can always use a bit more! :lol:
I saw 4 boxes of Remington yesterday at WalMart in Carrollton. Two 150gr and two 180gr., but I was in kind of a hurry and there wasn't anyone around to get them out and I left them for someone else. I think they were just under $18 for 20.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

C-dub wrote:
77346 wrote: I have 30-06 ammo... but 200 @ $98 + S&H for Greek surplus sounds like a heck of a deal... Academy wanted $35 for 20 rnds of Hornady (the hunting stuff)... I have enough 30-06 but I can always use a bit more! :lol:
I saw 4 boxes of Remington yesterday at WalMart in Carrollton. Two 150gr and two 180gr., but I was in kind of a hurry and there wasn't anyone around to get them out and I left them for someone else. I think they were just under $18 for 20.
Yeah, but at least you can get it. Try finding .308 or .223 at Academy...........you won't.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

texasmusic
Posts in topic: 3

Post by texasmusic »

Remember guys, not to use commercial ammo too much in our Garands. Hard on the operating system from what I hear so I stick to the surplus stuff.
Ubi libertas habitat ibi nostra patria est

Jeff B.

Post by Jeff B. »

texasmusic wrote:Remember guys, not to use commercial ammo too much in our Garands. Hard on the operating system from what I hear so I stick to the surplus stuff.
True... The ammo designed for he M1 runs at a lower pressure than the common hunting ammo of today.

You can buy and put in or have an adjustable gas plug installed.

Cabela's does sell some of the "garand" 30.06 in bulk too. The CMP stuff is a very good buy!

Jeff B.
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”