Small Gun for Running

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
texasgirl
Posts in topic: 3

Small Gun for Running

Post by texasgirl »

Hi I was looking for a small light weight gun for running. My current carry gun is a Kahr PM9. I borrowed a friends belly band and tried to carry with it while running but it didn't take to long to realize this was not an option that would work for me. I know this is being stubborn but I will not do a fanny pack. I'm considering a small 22mag revolver like this one from North American Arms http://northamericanarms.com/firearms/m ... /m-hg.html with this ammo by Hornady http://www.hornady.com/store/22-WMR-45g ... l-Defense/

I know a 22mag is not the best choice for self defense but I'm looking at the theory that the best gun is the one you have with you. My EDC gun is great but it does me no good at home in the safe if I am out on a run. I currently just carry a good quality pepper spray but would feel better if I had a firearm also even if it was a small one. Does any one here have any experience with the NAA 22mag I mentioned? I considered a LCP but the NNA 22 is just over 3oz lighter and I think I would be more likely to carry it. I would really just like any input from someone that has shot or has one of the 22mag I mentioned. Thanks in advance
Last edited by texasgirl on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you listen to constructive criticism, you will be at home among the wise. Proverbs 15:31

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Small Gun for Running

Post by JALLEN »

Didn't Governor Perry carry a Ruger .380 of some kind?
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Topic author
texasgirl

Post by texasgirl »

Yes the Ruger LCP
If you listen to constructive criticism, you will be at home among the wise. Proverbs 15:31

StewNTexas

Post by StewNTexas »

Ruger quickly came out with a model called the "Coyote Special" in a limited edition. They sold quickly
If the 2nd admendment only applies to muskets and muzzle-loaders, then the 1st admentment must apply only to the spoken or printed word. Printing must be done on hand presses, news stories must be written in longhand, no keyboards or electric processes may be used.

karder
Posts in topic: 2

Post by karder »

I have experimented with a number of small guns for running and it is not easy to find the right one. Everything is too heavy and clunky and a fanny pack is hard to access. I run about 35-40 miles a week and I could not settle on anything that worked well for me. I currently carry a walther tph. It is a 22lr and I have owned it for more than 20 years so I did not buy it as a jogging gun, it is just what I had that would work.

The thing that was the biggest problem was HOW to carry. Fanny packs are not comfortable and bounce around. Typical jogging attire does not have proper pockets so especially in the summer time, carrying is a problem. I stumbled upon a reflective vest from a company http://www.ruseen.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and it has been the answer to a number of problems. It it mesh and very highly reflective (I run at night a lot) and it has good pockets and holds its shape, so slipping a pistol into my right pocket and my keys/CHL in my left and the load balances nicely. I even clip a 511 ATAC flashlight to my shorts and I am ready to go for miles. It is big enough to go over heavier clothes for winter, but light and cool enough for 100 degree weather. Check it out, I have been using mine for about 3 years and now I always wear it, no exceptions.

As far as the NAA, those are cool and should fit the bill. They are single action though so you need to practice and get used to that aspect. With a proper vest, your carry options will open up a bit.

Good luck!
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

Bonc_CHL

Post by Bonc_CHL »

I have a NAA .22lr that I carry when dress does not allow my EDC, I have also shot the .22mag version and I love them both, they are definitely guns for up close and personal confrontations. And the way I look at it to an extent is that any BG is not going to question the caliber that is pointed at them, only that there is weapon. I also will carry it with bird shot for snakes and the like while hiking.
Springfield XD40 Sub-compact
S&W Model 37

bulinm

Post by bulinm »

My little Beretta tip-up 25 acp is handy. It's my dog walker when shorts and t-shirt are called for.

I will check out that vest, thanks for the info.
Dallas

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doin' in a rustic setting like this ?

Topic author
texasgirl

Post by texasgirl »

Karder thanks for the info on the vest. I really need to get something like that. I try to run in bright colors but something reflective with pockets would be better. I did find this video on the 22 with the grip holster so looks like it really might at least size wise be a good option.

http://youtu.be/RJqrxiM_oYc

Bonc_CHL thanks for input from someone that has actually used one.

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flechero »

karder wrote: The thing that was the biggest problem was HOW to carry. Fanny packs are not comfortable and bounce around. Typical jogging attire does not have proper pockets so especially in the summer time, carrying is a problem. I stumbled upon a reflective vest from a company http://www.ruseen.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and it has been the answer to a number of problems. It it mesh and very highly reflective (I run at night a lot) and it has good pockets and holds its shape, so slipping a pistol into my right pocket and my keys/CHL in my left and the load balances nicely. I even clip a 511 ATAC flashlight to my shorts and I am ready to go for miles. It is big enough to go over heavier clothes for winter, but light and cool enough for 100 degree weather. Check it out, I have been using mine for about 3 years and now I always wear it, no exceptions.
I had originally given up on carrying while running... but a recent incident with a big dog (well over 100 lbs) has me very anxious to readdress carrying while running. at one point I had thought of a vest but assumed they would be way too hot. I looked at the site you referenced and am curious which model you use. Any chance you'd be willing to snap a quick pic before your next run?

Are the pockets water/sweat resistant?

Thanks!!

DocV

Post by DocV »

I have a NAA 22LR that I bought as a backup "get-off-me" gun. It automatically hops into my pocket when I get dressed. I am also a runner but I do not carry when running for a variety of reasons. The chief of which being I tend to get rather soggy when running and would ruin my licenses and carry gun in no time at all. Additionally, I tend to run indoors these days in the university indoor track where carrying is out of the question. :nono:

The NAA mini-revolvers are indeed for close-up protection. I would think they would be quite good for runners who aren't as soggy as me. Loading the revolver seemed daunting at first but after practicing without rounds chambered in the cylinder I got the hang of it.

Edit to add: I decided against the grip holster and it seemed to add an additional step to making the pistol ready when I might need it. The regular grip looks awkward but is just fine.

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

I would suggest you stick with DAO pistols.
As nice as the NAA revolvers are (I have 2) cocking that hammer for each round adds seconds to your response time. And if you can hold that little pistol and cock it with one hand in the midst of an adrenaline dump, you are a better man than I.
For me the choice would be a P32 Keltec. It's noticeably smaller and lighter than a .380. It's lighter than my NAA black widow, and it delivers more energy, and it's an auto-loader.
I once got out all my pocket pistols - .380 and under - loaded them up, and weighted them. the P32 was the winner, followed by the NAA black widow.
And you can get a spare mag that holds 10 rounds - for crowd control.

2nd choice would be a Seecamp .32 ACP - shorter, heavier, fatter, but it's still an autoloader

An alternative to the vest might be a neck lanyard
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Weg

Post by Weg »

I have a .22 MAG NAA revolver. For what it is ( last ditch in my opinion), I love it. It's much better than a knife in my opinion and reasonably accurate out to 7 yards. Beyond that, the bullets begin to keyhole and it is not very accurate ( at least with mine). The beauty of it is you can drop it in your pocket and go. I took the little IWB clip on holster it came with, cut off the clip and wrapped it with duct tape to keep it from pulling out of my pocket when drawing.

hpcatx

Post by hpcatx »

Rex B wrote:I would suggest you stick with DAO pistols.
As nice as the NAA revolvers are (I have 2) cocking that hammer for each round adds seconds to your response time. And if you can hold that little pistol and cock it with one hand in the midst of an adrenaline dump, you are a better man than I.
For me the choice would be a P32 Keltec. It's noticeably smaller and lighter than a .380. It's lighter than my NAA black widow, and it delivers more energy, and it's an auto-loader.
I once got out all my pocket pistols - .380 and under - loaded them up, and weighted them. the P32 was the winner, followed by the NAA black widow.
And you can get a spare mag that holds 10 rounds - for crowd control.

2nd choice would be a Seecamp .32 ACP - shorter, heavier, fatter, but it's still an autoloader

An alternative to the vest might be a neck lanyard
While I'm not sure how well it would work for running, but my Kahr P380 is super small, light weight, and accurate -- to the point of approaching many 32s. You may want to hold it before deciding to step down below the 380 cartridge.
"We have four boxes with which to defend our freedom: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." - L. McDonald

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

When I run, I wear a pair of what would best be described as basketball shorts, with a Smith and Wesson Airweight 442 in the pocket. I have logged hundreds of miles with it, including several marathons.
NRA lifetime member

CC Italian

Post by CC Italian »

This is the best option I have found by far. Better then smart carry or thunder wear when doing serious fast movements because it is compressed against your body.This is extreme deep concealment imo and is a better then nothing last ditch effort approach. I use it while running and believe it or not I do use it for boot camp classes.http://www.pistolwear.com/ It compresses tight against the body like a sweat band and no one will ever know you are carrying unless they pull up your shirt and then most would think it is just a sweat band with a quick glance.

I can run with a snub nose smith with no problems and no one is the wiser. When I do boot camp (5 days a week) I carry my kel tec p32 without one in the chamber. It weighs less the 10 ounces loaded (almost 10ounces less then the snub loaded) and while I know it is not the best option caliber wise it is better then a stick. I have a 9mm or better locked in my truck within 50 yards but this is the best I could do with on the body carry while doing a serious workout. On days that I run or just lift weights the snub nose goes with me.

Here is a old review I did a while back.viewtopic.php?f=23&t=54257&start=15 Go about half way down on the second page It shows some pics.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”