Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Venus Pax
Posts in topic: 1

How often do you clean your guns?

Post by Venus Pax »

Just curious.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

KinnyLee

Post by KinnyLee »

After I shoot each time, but sometimes I get lazy and waited a couple of days before I do some cleaning. Hehe.

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

It depends on the gun. Stainless wheelguns and Glocks get a boresnake at the range and maybe a chamber brush but then they sit till it's convenient.
Blued babies get a super duper spa treatment within minutes of hitting the garage.

Gary

I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

Wildscar

Post by Wildscar »

So far its been the same day I shoot. But Ive only been twice so thats not much to go on, but Im off to good start. :lol:
Wildscar
"Far Better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt 1899
Beretta 92FS
Holster Review Resource
Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

HighVelocity wrote:It depends on the gun. Stainless wheelguns and Glocks get a boresnake at the range and maybe a chamber brush but then they sit till it's convenient.
Blued babies get a super duper spa treatment within minutes of hitting the garage.
Gary
Yep that is me too for the exception my garage in now a den :grin: I broke in a Kimber a while back and I cleaned twice while at the range after 200 rounds (that is the only one I have done that for).

ScubaSigGuy

Post by ScubaSigGuy »

For pistols a boresnake at the range and thorough soaking when I get home.

Rifles... well I hate cleaning rifles (I'm kind of a perfectionist) so I boresnake them and then break them down and spray with CLP. lately I let them soak a few days or so and then thoroughly clean.
S.S.G.

"A champion doesn’t become a champion in the ring. He is merely recognized in the ring.The ‘becoming’ happens during his daily routine." Joe Louis

NRA MEMBER

135boomer

Post by 135boomer »

I clean mine every time I shoot.

TheRising

Post by TheRising »

I rarely clean the Glocks. They get it once a month unless I am shooting a lot of dirty Russian ammo. Or should that be "dirty, Russian ammo"?? :lol: I do, however, take them completely apart when I clean them since it is incredibly easy to do. I can clean the G17 and G23 in under 30 minutes, thoroughly.

As for the little MP25, I usually clean it after I shoot it, which is rare.

I haven't cleaned the SKS in about 200 rounds but I most likely will before the next time I go out to shoot. Not that it needs to be cleaned, I just like cleaning it, believe it or not. (I LOVE that gun. It's be the first thing I grab in case anything really bad was gonna happen)

The Mosin Nagant M44, because of the regular use of corrosive ammo usually gets cleaned same day or within a week. That goes for my 8mm Turkish Mauser too. I suppose corrosive ammo can be bad. However, I shot a lot of corrosive out of the Mosin and forgot to clean it for a month and I didn't notice any damage done to the gun. Nonetheless, that was probably a not so smart thing to do.

Sorry for being long winded.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Every time I shootem.
Period....
If I have 3 or 4 I may give a stainless wheel gun a quick wipe down & really clean it tomorrow. But that is rare.
Cleaned 3 last night.
After shooting today (aint vacations fun) I will have at least 4 to clean.
It will happen before I go to bed.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Piney

Post by Piney »

Greetings--

I'll clean my Glocks once a month or so-- usually after 2 IDPA matches go by.

Robin's CZ needs a good cleaning every 250-350 rounds or so, otherwise it will begin to not load well. I guess a good feed ramp brushing would fix that though.

Just got a RRA in .223. I suspect I'll clean this one after each range visit or once I figure out how to break it down (and get it back together !!).

I guess I'm spoiled-- my Glocks just keep on shooting w/o frequent cleaning :cool:

HankB

Post by HankB »

My Dad trained me to " . . . never let the sun set on a dirty gun. . . " so I clean them after shooting. Sometimes a rifle's cleaning may stretch over a couple of days, as I let the Hoppe's #9 work on the metal fouling.

Once a year or so I'll empty the safe and go over the "safe queens" just for the fun(?) of it.
Original CHL: 2000: 56 day turnaround
1st renewal, 2004: 34 days
2nd renewal, 2008: 81 days
3rd renewal, 2013: 12 days

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

I clean mine after every shooting session. I do not always clean them to the point of white glove approval, but enough to get the trash off of the vital stuff and take a look at it.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

propellerhead

Post by propellerhead »

Typically, after 1500-2000 rounds unless I know I'll be storing it for over a month. I have over 10,000 rounds through my XD9 in a year and only cleaned it maybe 7-8 times. Has it jammed? No. Has it been less accurate? No.

pbandjelly

Post by pbandjelly »

after every shooting session. It gives my esteemed lady friend and I a chance to sit and chat and clean ze armament.
it's good times.

9mmGuy

Post by 9mmGuy »

i clean mine every time I shot. Although I did my own experiment with my Taurus and didnt clean it for 2000 rounds or so to see if i could make it fail but it didnt so i had to clean it. it was driving my crazy looking at her all dirty like that... :cool:
Luck favors the Prepared
G19c, G26, KT P11, Mossberg Mav 88, 10/22

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”