Suggestions for a BUG or LCP

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 5

Suggestions for a BUG or LCP

Post by Vol Texan »

I'm looking for a small pocket-carry pistol, but I'm having difficulty finding what I'm looking for.

I'd like a 9mm, SA/DA, with no safety.

No safety is because I have nerve damage in my thumb, and I cannot feel whether it's on or off (nor can I click it to 'F' if it is in the wrong position.

SA/DA for the same reason - I cannot cock the hammer back, but I do want the hammer (no striker fired).

I currently carry a Sig SP2022, because it meets the criteria above. I'd like a similar architecture for my pocket pistol.

Any ideas?
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

J Wilson
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Suggestions for a BUG or LCP

Post by J Wilson »

Ruger LC9???

Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

Sig P 238?
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson USMC 1967-1970 101st. Underwater Mess Kit Repair Battalion - Spoon Platoon.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Since you're already (I assume) a Sig guy, you probably should look at the P290.

It's the same height, width, & length as the P238, but it's chambered in 9mm.

Since the P290 is DAO, there is no safety or decocker.

Just a thought.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Glock 26

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Kahr CM9 or PM9
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

How about a J frame, LCR, or Taurus 85? Revolvers are less susceptible to pocket lint, and a +P .38 Special is more than adequate for self defense. :tiphat:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

mewalke
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mewalke »

MoJo wrote:How about a J frame, LCR, or Taurus 85? Revolvers are less susceptible to pocket lint, and a +P .38 Special is more than adequate for self defense. :tiphat:
I was thinking the same thing. Most of the suggestions so far either have external safeties, like the P238, or are striker fired, like CM9 or Glock 26, both of which are features the OP didn't want.

The Sig P290 would fit your criteria, but if you aren't opposed to .38 +P, a nice J frame or LCR would work really well for pocket carry.

nyj

Post by nyj »

Are you actually looking to carry it as a BUG to your primary? If so, LCP. Can't beat the weight.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

I have the kel tec pf9. Aside from the trigger very accurate, easy to conceal and I haven't had any complaints. If you wanted a little thicker stack I would definitely go with a glock 26.

Cjwglock19

Post by Cjwglock19 »

If you would be willing to go .380, the taurus tcp is a great gun and very inexpensive.
"You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

- Clint Smith

lws380

Post by lws380 »

Seecamp. It is the ultimate pocket pistol. Will fit in any pocket and conceal easily. Never a reason to be unarmed.

Topic author
Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Vol Texan »

Thanks for all the comments, and particularly the ones that stayed within the parameters I asked for. I do appreciate those of you who pushed outside the specs - it never hurts to hear about other options (even those that I'll never choose).

I think I'll take a look at the Sig P250. DAO is acceptable, although SAO would have been impossible due to my nerve damage.
I like the idea that I can put the +2 mag in it to have a 9mm 9-shooter in such a small frame (with extra length for gripping with my 'good' fingers).
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

Cjwglock19 wrote:If you would be willing to go .380, the taurus tcp is a great gun and very inexpensive.
that and even my 12 year old can take head shots at 3-5 yards w/o issue.. great little gun

USA1

Post by USA1 »

Vol Texan wrote:I'm looking for a small pocket-carry pistol, but I'm having difficulty finding what I'm looking for.

I'd like a 9mm, SA/DA, with no safety.
You should come see us. We have a few items that will fit your criteria.

P.S. Avoid the Sig P250.
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”