Best .223/5.56 55-gr FMJ-BT in brass.

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Beiruty
Posts in topic: 5

Best .223/5.56 55-gr FMJ-BT in brass.

Post by Beiruty »

First, no-steel core or magnetic bullets as it would be disallowed at most ranges.
Then, what is the best .223/5.56 55 gr FMJ-BT, brass-cased with cost per rd less than $0.40/rd?
Accuracy is highly regarded as this rd is for target shooting and not Varmint hunting.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Best .223/5.56 55-gr FMJ-BT in brass.

Post by baldeagle »

Reloads.

There is no .40/rnd ammo in that caliber. The best you can do is .45/rnd.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Post by C-dub »

baldeagle wrote:Reloads.

There is no .40/rnd ammo in that caliber. The best you can do is .45/rnd.
:iagree:

That is pretty much the state of things at this time. Anything you could find around .40/round is not going to be terribly accurate. It will be okay for plinking and practicing mechanics, but for any reliable accuracy it's probably not going to happen.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

mewalke
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mewalke »

You want brass cased for $.40 per round you are going to have to look at remanufactured:

http://www.freedommunitions.com/223-Rem ... -b0500.htm

I haven't had the opportunity to shoot any Freedom Munitions ammo, but I have seen lots of praise across the web.

At $.38/round before shipping you will get CLOSE to $.40/round depending on how far they have to ship. To my address in north DFW it would work out to $.43/round.

edit: They do have a retail store in the Houston area if you are close you could save on the shipping and get right at about $.40/round

17482-B Northwest Freeway
Jersey Village, TX 77040-1024
(Hwy 290 and Jones Rd. Next to Harbor Freight)
281-416-5493

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

I got 100 rds of Monarach, Brass 55 grs, FMJ-BT, 0.223 Rem. Cost per rd $0.45 plus 8.25 Tax, total was $48.xx.
I will give it a try.
Beiruty,

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Widener's has New .223 PRVI Commercial Brass - non-crimped primer, 55 gr. copper jacket lead in stock for $396/1000 plus shipping (I checked for my zip code -Houston area and shipping was $24.08 UPS Ground). Ammoman has Federal American Eagle 55 gr, FMJBT $513/1000 including shipping. Wikiarms has other deals and so does gun-deals.com. Unless you need it now I'd wait as availability and price seems to be getting better as time goes by.
Last edited by puma guy on Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

eureka40

Post by eureka40 »

You want .40 cents a round FMJ-BT ammo? Good brass? Good manufacturer?

Well here it is.............

http://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail.asp ... 193I-2CASE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You're welcome :lol: :lol:
TSRA Life Memeber

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

eureka40 wrote:You want .40 cents a round FMJ-BT ammo? Good brass? Good manufacturer?

Well here it is.............

http://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail.asp ... 193I-2CASE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You're welcome :lol: :lol:
Thank you. Now you made me have $433 less in my account. :woohoo
Beiruty,

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 2

Post by baldeagle »

BTW, you're going to be hard pressed to find a range that allows FMJ. Most want SP or HP only.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

rotor

Post by rotor »

My local WalMart is selling the Federal 1000 rd 55gr for a little over $400. Things are getting better... the real proof will be when 22lr is readily available.

Sangiovese

Post by Sangiovese »

Here's another option.

1000 rounds of PMC for .45 per round... but that includes shipping so it's not far above your .40 per round target.

I've shot tens of thousands of rounds of PMC in various calibers over the past couple years and have no complaints. I've also ordered from this vendor a half dozen times and have always had good experiences with them.

http://www.ammoman.com/223-pmc-bronze-r ... n-fmj-223a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Endowment Member. Texas LTC Instructor. NRA certified Pistol & Home Firearm Safety Instructor - Range Safety Officer

Any comments about legal matters are general in nature and are not legal advice. Nothing posted on this forum is intended to establish an attorney-client relationship.

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Sangiovese wrote:Here's another option.

1000 rounds of PMC for .45 per round... but that includes shipping so it's not far above your .40 per round target.

I've shot tens of thousands of rounds of PMC in various calibers over the past couple years and have no complaints. I've also ordered from this vendor a half dozen times and have always had good experiences with them.

http://www.ammoman.com/223-pmc-bronze-r ... n-fmj-223a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone is interested in splitting 1K rd order into 2 or more?
Beiruty,

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

baldeagle wrote:BTW, you're going to be hard pressed to find a range that allows FMJ. Most want SP or HP only.
Good catch, but why it is so? FMJ with lead core is no more penetrating or prune to ricochet than HP or SP bullet. Steel core bullets is totally another story.
Beiruty,

mewalke

Post by mewalke »

Beiruty wrote:
baldeagle wrote:BTW, you're going to be hard pressed to find a range that allows FMJ. Most want SP or HP only.
Good catch, but why it is so? FMJ with lead core is no more penetrating or prune to ricochet than HP or SP bullet. Steel core bullets is totally another story.
Apparently it is an insurance thing. I emailed Top Gun in the DFW area because I was getting tired of not being able to use any of my FMJ ammo anywhere except at an indoor range or the tactical bay at Elm Fork.

Terry from Top Gun responded that unfortunately it was an insurance requirement that they not allow FMJ. Apparently they used to allow it but 3 years ago their insurance provider decided it was too risky and in order to keep their coverage they had to restrict the use of FMJ on the rifle ranges.

mewalke

Post by mewalke »

Beiruty wrote:
Sangiovese wrote:Here's another option.

Anyone is interested in splitting 1K rd order into 2 or more?
I am very much interested but have a ~$550 bill coming with the delivery of a quarter cow next week... so I don't think its in the cards :cryin :woohoo

edit: added an additional smiley to show how bi-polar I am about spending $550 for a quarter cow but then not having any money for ammo

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”