Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Rugerboy50
Posts in topic: 6

Age ole .45 acp debate

Post by Rugerboy50 »

So it's time for a new toy.

Collection is only missing a revolver and a 1911 .45acp.

Only interested in single action .45LC revolver and can't see spending $1.00 per round for plinking.

That leaves a .45 and everyone says a collection isn't complete without one.

Have been looking at Springfield's. Has to have a parkerized finish and dark walnut grips.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Age ole .45 acp debate

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Springfield Armory Range Officer: http://www.springfield-armory.com/armor ... ersion=154

Springfield Armory Loaded: http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=4

Both seem to be selling in the $800 range, give or take. I have the Loaded model and like it pretty well. The Loaded model has an ambidextrous safety, the Range Officer does not, if that matters to you. If you are looking for high end Springfields (be prepared to spend some money, it would be hard to beat the TRP and TRP Operator for features.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

function12

Post by function12 »

I got a Ruger Vaquero in 357 a year ago. Almost got the 45LC but ammo just too steep. It is one of my favorite guns to shoot right now. Single action real slows down the amount of ammo I go through.
I do want to get a 1911 next though.
NRA Super Life Benefactor Member
PSC Member

Iunnrais

Post by Iunnrais »

Last year I was really wanting a .45 Colt SAA (well, Ruger Blackhawk to be honest). Ended up walking by a S&W 629 for an excellent price and couldn't pass it by. It's become my favorite hand gun. Small bit of an investment in reloading equipment has more than paid for itself in the amount of .44 Magnum (ok, magnum cases but plinker loads - 240gr Lead RNFP over trail boss or similar). Faster to load/unload and man it has a sweet single action trigger. It would be in the carry rotation if not for the sheer size of the thing.

Don't let the cost of factory .45LC be the holdup if you don't mind a small investment in reloading equipment (I started with the $28 Lee single stage press before I was given a nice 4 hole turret. It worked just fine.). The straight wall revolver cartridges are great for learning the process. :biggrinjester: And it becomes suddenly _much_ cheaper to go out and enjoy time at the range.

AlaskanInTexas

Post by AlaskanInTexas »

Iunnrais wrote:Don't let the cost of factory .45LC be the holdup if you don't mind a small investment in reloading equipment (I started with the $28 Lee single stage press before I was given a nice 4 hole turret. It worked just fine.). The straight wall revolver cartridges are great for learning the process. :biggrinjester: And it becomes suddenly _much_ cheaper to go out and enjoy time at the range.
I agree. Plus .45 Colt is a very versatile round - you can have a lot of fun reloading it for different purposes.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Rugerboy50 wrote:. . . That leaves a .45 and everyone says a collection isn't complete without one.
You're not fully dressed without one either!

Chas.

Topic author
Rugerboy50

Post by Rugerboy50 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Rugerboy50 wrote:. . . That leaves a .45 and everyone says a collection isn't complete without one.
You're not fully dressed without one either!

Chas.
Great comment. I need a new something for PSC range time. I want something to hit the plate racks with.
Last edited by Rugerboy50 on Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Rugerboy50

Post by Rugerboy50 »

function12 wrote:I got a Ruger Vaquero in 357 a year ago. Almost got the 45LC but ammo just too steep. It is one of my favorite guns to shoot right now. Single action real slows down the amount of ammo I go through.
I do want to get a 1911 next though.
i have looked at the 357 Vaquero and Blackhawk, I like the versatility of being both a handgun and rifle cartridge.

Topic author
Rugerboy50

Post by Rugerboy50 »

AndyC wrote:
Rugerboy50 wrote:Have been looking at Springfield's. Has to have a parkerized finish and dark walnut grips.
I'm sensing you want a military look, so... the Milspec model:

[ Image ]

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?model=7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yep you nailed it.

I've looked at the mil spec many a time and it will be either this or the range officer if i go that way.

I like the mil spec price point.

A-R
Posts in topic: 2

Post by A-R »

In addition to the Springfields, takes good look at STI out of Georgetown, TX. Specifically their Spartan model (overseas frame, but assembled, fitted, tested etc in Texas) is on par (or better?) than Springfield Range Officer at same or lower price (depending where you buy it). And the Trojan is nearly the same gun for a bit more $$ because it is 100% made in Texas (these are generalities, so STI fanatics don't nitpick me on the minor differences)

I've owned a Springfield Loaded model and an STI Spartan and they're very close (quality, accuracy etc). But I like the STI just a bit more. And I'm like you, bought a 1911 "just because" a collection is incomplete without one. I'm no 1911 expert.

TLE2

Post by TLE2 »

RIA models have been less than 400 on gunbroker and grab-a-gun lately. Cheap entry into 1911 heaven.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... (Jefferson quoting Beccaria)

... tyrants accomplish their purposes ...by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms. - Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Hickok45 just put a youtube video of a TISAS that he seems to think is well worth the money for an inexpensive budget 1911. Budsgunshop sells them for $399 and free shipping. Not that you are necessarily looking for a budget gun but thought it may be of interest.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

From what I understand, one has to spend major bucks for a 1911 that has no/few malfunctions problems....

74novaman
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 74novaman »

Abraham wrote:From what I understand, one has to spend major bucks for a 1911 that has no/few malfunctions problems....
Not true at all.
TANSTAAFL

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”