Question about Winchester safe at Academy (UPDATE)

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
FL450
Posts in topic: 14

Question about Winchester safe at Academy (UPDATE)

Post by FL450 »

I am looking for A safe. Academy has a Winchester 24 gun safe (ASO-19-11) fire rated at 1400 degrees for 60 minutes for 800 dollars.
Is this a good value or can I do better in the sub 1000 dollar catagory including delivery.

After all the great feedback from this group I was armed with all the information to d further research on what features I needed to look for to make an informed decision. (Gauge, bolts, welds, locking mechanism etc.) I was set on saving the money to buy once only and then it happened. The Academy circular arrived this afternoon and had a special buy on the Liberty Safe, Centurion Deluxe 30 long gun. 59x36x25, 12 gauge, 11 bolt 75 min fire rating for 699. This couldn't have come at a better time as I just spent 700 dollars on my 2 senior HS girls dual credit courses and books. Even though this is a made in China model and not the quality I was originally set on the great buy allowed me to purchase now rather than later so I can secure my guns and ammo out of reach from the grand kids since we have them during the week since one of my daughters started teaching her first year of school this year.
Thanks to all for the feedback. Anyone want to volunteer to help unload from the truck and set up? I am not sure I will have any friends left after this.
Last edited by FL450 on Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I love the sound smell of jet fuel in the morning.
Fat thumbs + IPhone = errors, please forgive.

texasparamedic
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Question about Winchester safe at Academy

Post by texasparamedic »

I bought one from Tractor Supply for $700. Save a hundred.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/w ... n-capacity

eureka40

Post by eureka40 »

Yep, I got that one at Tractor Supply too. With some pateince, you can get it for 650 on sale.
TSRA Life Memeber

jwine

Post by jwine »

texasparamedic wrote:I bought one from Tractor Supply for $700. Save a hundred.

:iagree:

I have that one as well, it gets the job done.

nightmare69
Posts in topic: 2

Post by nightmare69 »

I have the same safe also. Academy will match the regular price of the safe at tractor supply. When I bought mine tractor supply was out of stock on the safe and it would have taken a few weeks to get one ordered. I printed off the sale sheet and took it down to academy and the manager matched the price. Great safe for the money, measure the concrete anchors before you try to install them. They are supposed to be 1/2in anchors but mine came with 5/8in.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

eureka40 wrote:Yep, I got that one at Tractor Supply too. With some pateince, you can get it for 650 on sale.
I think I paid <$600 for mine a couple of Thanksgivings (black Friday) ago.

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

I hear 2 one gallon jugs of water on top of your safe will add about 20-30m of fire rating. Not researched by me but sounds reasonable.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Topic author
FL450
Posts in topic: 14

Post by FL450 »

texasparamedic wrote:I bought one from Tractor Supply for $700. Save a hundred.

I noticed the one in your link showed a fire rating of 1400 degrees for 30 minutes and Academy advertised 1400 degrees for 1 hour. Not sure of the differance.
I love the sound smell of jet fuel in the morning.
Fat thumbs + IPhone = errors, please forgive.

tomtexan

Post by tomtexan »

Oldgringo wrote: I think I paid <$600 for mine a couple of Thanksgivings (black Friday) ago.
Same here. :coolgleamA: At Tractor Supply.
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

DocV

Post by DocV »

Winchester makes several different models. It seems the safe TSC is different than the one at Academy.
From http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/winches ... =822441243:
The Winchester Fire-Rated 24-Gun Safe we sale is different from the one Tractor Supply Co sales, these are the following differences:

Academy Sports + Outdoors: -Weight 520lbs -Internal height: 56in -Internal Depth (in.):11.75 -Internal Width (in.):25 -Fire Protection Rating:60 minutes up to 1,400° -External Width (in.):28 -Lock:LA GARD type 1 electronic -Different manuals -Manufacturer number:ASO-19-11

Tractor Supply Co. -Weight 507lbs -Inner height: 55.5 in -Inner Length - 16 in -Inner Width - 27-1/4 in. -Fire Resistant to 30 minutes @ 1,400° F -Exterior Width - 30 in. -Lock Type - Electronic Key Pad -Manufacturer Number - TS-22-11 -Different manuals
If you are a member of Sam's Club, you might want to look there.

If you are a vet, Cabela's has a "Hometown Heros" Employee discount period from June 26 - 29.

getsome

Post by getsome »

You will probably wish you had more space. I looked at the 24's and thought it would be enough, but I bought this... http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cannon-Scout ... /202964703 from Home Depot (it's now on sale for 1169+tax with free shipping). It's probably a little overkill, but it's not that much more $$$ than what you are looking at.
Old breed? New breed? There’s not a damn bit of difference so long as it’s the Marine breed. ~ LtGen Lewis B. “Chesty” Puller

kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

1400 degrees for an hour is a great rating. I believe mine is the 30 minute model. I have often wondered how you are going to get into it after the computer melts off of the front door??? :???:
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

WinoVeritas

Post by WinoVeritas »

Seems like a reasonable price for the fire range and has the door storage. My Cannon 24 is 1200 for 30 min - wish I had bought bigger though. I chose Cannon for their warranty ( http://www.cannonsafe.com/warranty.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) plus caught it on sale at Academy couple of years ago for $500.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Regardless of fire rating, you might get 24 single barrel shotguns in these safes but you're gonna' be hard pressed to get more than a dozen scoped bolt action guns in them......comfortably.

JSThane
Banned

Post by JSThane »

Oldgringo wrote:Regardless of fire rating, you might get 24 single barrel shotguns in these safes but you're gonna' be hard pressed to get more than a dozen scoped bolt action guns in them......comfortably.
Comfortably being the key word. I... may have managed to fit upwards of 20, 25 long arms into a 12-gun safe before... :leaving

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”