Is this wear normal (Glock 19 4th gen)?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
newTexan
Posts in topic: 2

Is this wear normal (Glock 19 4th gen)?

Post by newTexan »

ok so the photos are not the best, but hopefully they're good enough for me to ask this..

Forgive my ignorance, but does the wear shown in the pics here look normal for a Glock 19 (4th gen). In particular, the two areas that concern me are the breechface itself around the firing pin hole and the area to the left/bottom (as you look at the two pics) just outside the ejector.

Thanks!
Attachments
photo 2.JPG
photo 1.JPG

spongeworthy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Is this wear normal (Glock 19 4th gen)?

Post by spongeworthy »

How long have you had the gun, how many rounds, how often do you clean it, etc? My Glocks don't have any wear in those locations but I keep 'em oiled up and clean after each use. I can't really tell from the photos, but how bad is that wear next to the ejector?

Topic author
newTexan

Post by newTexan »

spongeworthy wrote:How long have you had the gun, how many rounds, how often do you clean it, etc? My Glocks don't have any wear in those locations but I keep 'em oiled up and clean after each use. I can't really tell from the photos, but how bad is that wear next to the ejector?
I want to say 3 years now. No idea how many rounds. First year, it saw a lot of action, after that it was just part of the rotation, but has been living in the safe for a while now (6 months). I clean it after I shoot it. I also clean it before I shoot it if it's been in the safe for a while. I have probably used mostly WWB ammo in it.

I'm not sure how to qualify how bad the wear is. It is smooth, no rough or raised spots that I can detect anywhere, just looks odd to me.

CC Italian

Post by CC Italian »

Going to say no but I could be wrong. I have a gen 3 glock 27 that has well over 20K rounds and a Glock 20 somewhere North of 7k and the only thing I replaced so far is the recoil spring because I felt like it. Guns ran fine but the 20 was getting a little loose from all the hot loads.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

I don't see anything unusual at all in the photos.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Looks fine but remember this is the...

2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

USA1

Post by USA1 »

Just drop in the dishwasher. :mrgreen:

But seriously, I would just give the breach face area a nice scrub with a brass brush and some Hoppes.
I would also completely disassemble the slide and clean all the parts and channels if you are comfortable with doing that. Just don't oil any of those parts as Glocks are designed to run dry.
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

USA1,

I have to disagree regarding Glocks are designed to run dry. To be fair, I was taught this also. Glocks need lubing too.

If you doubt this, research Larry Vickers and what he has to say about this.

Larry was a first tier SF guy and is widely respected within the gun community.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

newTexan wrote:ok so the photos are not the best, but hopefully they're good enough for me to ask this..

Forgive my ignorance, but does the wear shown in the pics here look normal for a Glock 19 (4th gen). In particular, the two areas that concern me are the breechface itself around the firing pin hole and the area to the left/bottom (as you look at the two pics) just outside the ejector.

Thanks!
I am not expert, but it looks normal wear to me. Are you having any failures with it?
Abraham wrote:USA1,

I have to disagree regarding Glocks are designed to run dry. To be fair, I was taught this also. Glocks need lubing too.

Properly Lubrication of Glocks:
To properly lubricate your Glock pistol, after it has been thoroughly cleaned and dried, use a clean patch that has been slightly dampened with a quality gun oil. Wipe the barrel, the inside of the slide where the barrel hood rides against the slide and wipe the barrel lug at the bottom of the barrel. Apply one drop to each of the slide rail grooves (once the slide is moved on the receiver, the oil will be distributed to each of the slide rails). The most important drop of oil is placed where the trigger bar and connector meet. Failure to properly lubricate the junction of the trigger bar and connector can lead to premature wear and a very heavy trigger pull.

Do not over-lubricate your Glock. Glock pistols are designed to operate properly with only small amounts of lubrication. Over-lubrication can cause the gun to collect large amounts of burnt and unburnt powder, brass shavings, dirt, lint and other foreign matter that can affect the proper functioning of your gun.
I would follow what the maker of the pistol says rather than what "Joe" at the range says. . .
http://us.glock.com/documents/gun_maintenance.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Our Moderator Crossfire's husband who is a Certified Glock Armorer (and she is also) helped me tremendously learn this the hard way. :oops:

USA1

Post by USA1 »

Abraham wrote:USA1,

I understand that Glocks need some lubrication. If you read my post carefully you'll see that I was referring to the internals of the slide.
I have had people bring me Glocks where the slide was dripping from over lubrication.

:tiphat:
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

USA1,

Right you are.

Glocks need SOME lubrication.

Dripping wet - no.

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

Also, no lubrication on the firing pin or striker. :nono: This goes for all firearms. Don't ask me how I know let's just say I learned the hard way. :cryin
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”