M&P Shield with no thumb safety

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Texsquatch
Posts in topic: 3

M&P Shield with no thumb safety

Post by Texsquatch »

I just learned that S&W will be producing the Shield in 9mm & 40 without the thumb safety. I've been fighting the urge to get a Shied, now with the manual safety removed, I'm finding that urge can no longer be resisted. I'm afraid if actually shoot one, I will not let it go. I guess I'll have to start saving my pennies to fund another purchase.

Now the only question is 9mm or .40?

Divided Attention
Posts in topic: 1

Re: M&P Shield with no thumb safety

Post by Divided Attention »

The thumb safety on the current Shield model is so small, it is not hard to leave alone - on the other hand if a safety is what you are in the market for - it is so small it takes purpose to operate. The articulated trigger and focusing on keeping the booger hook off the bang switch, practicing draw etc. makes me quite comfortable treating it like my other M&P's (full and compact) and not utilizing the safety. I am VERY pleased with my Shield!
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

Topic author
Texsquatch

Post by Texsquatch »

I've seen & read a few things where some folks say the safety either was inadvertently switched while carried or holstered. I prefer not to have it at all and completely remove the variable from the equation.

My Bodyguard is the only carry gun I own with a manual safety. So far the safety is quite stiff, so I don't feel that I have to worry much about it flipping on while it's in my pocket. But I still wish it wasn't there.

tomtexan

Post by tomtexan »

The safety on my Shield is quite stiff and takes considerable effort to switch it on and off. I don't ever worry about it being switched on without my doing so.

The only time I use the safety is when I am pocket carrying, which is rare, otherwise it is off when holstered.
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

I never have had an issue with the safety switching off by itself and I carry my shield more than any of my others. Of course that doesn't mean it can't but I don't see it as being too likely.
Psalm 91:2

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

tomtexan wrote:The safety on my Shield is quite stiff and takes considerable effort to switch it on and off. I don't ever worry about it being switched on without my doing so.

The only time I use the safety is when I am pocket carrying, which is rare, otherwise it is off when holstered.
SQLGeek wrote:I never have had an issue with the safety switching off by itself and I carry my shield more than any of my others. Of course that doesn't mean it can't but I don't see it as being too likely.
:iagree: No need to buy another one.

TBJK

Post by TBJK »

My wife's Shield thumb safety is quite stiff. I'd have a hard time believing when holstering or in the holster the safety going on. It's also a small safety as well.

CC Italian

Post by CC Italian »

Saftey is a non issue. My experience is exactly like others have said. As for caliber I would go 9mm. Don't see any reason to get j frame like recoil with a .40 in a compact handgun but that is up to you. My glock 27 weighs an ounce or two more then my shield and while it doesn't effect accuracy or speed of firing it does effect my hand after 125 or more rounds. While the shield doesn't bother me at all. 40 costs more in ammo but the. 40 is cheaper to buy usually. Buds is selling them for 365. 390-440 is what the 9mm usually goes for.

Topic author
Texsquatch

Post by Texsquatch »

Yep, I'm thinking 9mm.I have plenty of 40 and hardly carry my G27 any more so my supply should last. Time to get back into 9mm, especially with my wife starting to shoot.

treeman

Post by treeman »

I have carried my shield almost daily for a year and shoot quite regularly with it. The safety has never accidentaly engaged.

LAYGO

Post by LAYGO »

My personal Shield safety has never engaged with pocket or IWB carry. I am not sure about hers since she lives far away atm.
S&W M&P 40 Mid (EDC) - S&W Shields (his/hers) - S&W M&P .45C - S&W 4513TSW .45 (1st Gen, retired to nightstand)
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG
Anderson AR15 pistol w/Aimpoint H1

08/04/2013 CHL class taken - plastic rec'd 08/26! Renewed 2018

Dirvin

Post by Dirvin »

If you get the 40, I would bet you could swap out the barrel and magazine and it would be usable as a 9mm also.
No Slack-slack is just half a pair of pants
-Charlie "Rowdy" Yates

SkipB

Post by SkipB »

I love my Shield 9mm. It has the thumb safety and no issues with that. I like the idea of no safety. My wife bought me the one I carry daily and altho I like the no safety I would still carry the one my wife bought me. As far as the difference between the 9mm and the .40 cal. that would be a matter of preference. I choose the 9mm because of my age and not having as firm grip as I use to.
Skip Bishop

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”