9mm ammo advice

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
LDB415
Posts in topic: 2

9mm ammo advice

Post by LDB415 »

I'm near Baybrook Mall. Anyone know of a good local source for 9mm practice ammo at a good price? If not local, somewhere to order it? Thanks for any good leads.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Teamless
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 9mm ammo advice

Post by Teamless »

in the past couple of months, I have seen ammo at Academy, I-45, between FM518 and Nasa Road.
Normally under $15 for 50 rounds and decent amount of ammo in stock.
I have to qualify this by saying I haven't been there in 2-3 weeks.
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

Monarch brand from Academy has been the cheapest I've found locally. Freedom Munitions isn't too badly price either but they're up in Jersey Village, probably further than you want to go.
Psalm 91:2

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

Define local. You can buy pistol ammo by the case at Freedom arms on 290 and Jones road. I'd call first to confirm availability.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Stay away from the steel Russian Monarch 9MM.

I experienced a lot of hard primers and it wasn't my pistol. I tried three other brands of ammo since shooting (or not shooting if you will...) the Russian Monarch 9MM and had exactly zero failures. Out of 60 rounds of the Russian Monarch brand I had 7 failures.

The Serbian Monarch brass case ammo is good to go.

Check with Marburgers in Seabrook, sometimes they have reasonably priced 9MM ammo.

patterson

Post by patterson »

the last box of federal I got at walmart I believe I paid 14 bucks and I think I saw a box of 100 round Winchester white box there for 26 bucks

mnewlander

Post by mnewlander »

order from freedomunitions online. right now you can get fmj rn remanufactured for $95 for 500 rd. $5 dollar shipping. i use this for IDPA and have never had a problem

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

mnewlander wrote:order from freedomunitions online. right now you can get fmj rn remanufactured for $95 for 500 rd. $5 dollar shipping. i use this for IDPA and have never had a problem

Yes indeedy. Also these guys are the ones who have the store on 290.

Topic author
LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

For $10 a box that sounds like it at least equals loading my own after adding something in for my time and the cost of all the equipment. It's a little easier to get over leaving the brass at $10 a box than $14 a box though.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

CC Italian

Post by CC Italian »

Unless you need ammo quickly order from freedoms online website. Prices are 15-30 percent cheaper depending on how much you buy. While the store front isn't bad it's really no better or worse then wal mart prices. Online is based out of Idaho.
Ex. 115 rn new is 101 online with 5 dollar shipping. So 106 total. At the store (i was there yesterday) the same was 129.99 plus tax. It is about 35 dollars more or about 14 dollars a box after tax and that doesn't include your time or gas. Also the store front often has different things in stock. Other manufacturers loaded ammo. They had a lot of pmc fiocchi and various hollowpoints

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

The Walmart on 518 and Dixie Farm Road usually has it and Academy in Webster normally does too. Unfortunately I cannot beat WalMarts prices on target ammo. You can try http://www.ammoseek.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to check prices if you end up ordering some online.

treeman

Post by treeman »

I would agree with abraham's caution about the steel cased Monarch 9mm. I read his post a couple days ago and today I decided to use up a box of the steel cased Monarch ammo that I bought several months ago when I was "in a bind for practice ammo." I had something happen that I've not encountered before. On the 12th shot I had a failure to eject. I dropped the magazine, thought I cleared the problem, reset the magazine, and "click". When I tried to pull the slide back on my Shield, I could not.
In short, I had to drive the stuck case out from the muzzle end using a short rod. The Shield had been cleaned after a shooting session a week or so ago and carried daily since. I'll be donating the rest of this box of steel cased Monarch ammo to someone.

chocolate bayou

Post by chocolate bayou »

Go to http://www.gunbot.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. They will give you current (within last hour) the cheapest source for every caliber for pistol or rifle. I usually find the cheapest WWB and order several hundred rounds. That way you are not running all over town chasing down ammo and spending more time at the range
Brazoria County

myntalfloss

Post by myntalfloss »

Abraham wrote:Stay away from the steel Russian Monarch 9MM.

I experienced a lot of hard primers and it wasn't my pistol. I tried three other brands of ammo since shooting (or not shooting if you will...) the Russian Monarch 9MM and had exactly zero failures. Out of 60 rounds of the Russian Monarch brand I had 7 failures.

The Serbian Monarch brass case ammo is good to go.

Check with Marburgers in Seabrook, sometimes they have reasonably priced 9MM ammo.
Prior to the hoarding frenzy, I used to use Monarch steel (from Academy) as my 9mm practice ammo. Out of 35-40 boxes of 9mm, I may have had 3-4 feed failures and no firing failures. I think some of the feed failures could be attributed to weak wristing while firing one-handed w/ the support hand. A lot of the credit may go to the Beretta PX4 which seems to eat anything you put in it. YMMV.
:tiphat:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”