pocket pistols

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Cummins24
Posts in topic: 2

pocket pistols

Post by Cummins24 »

Looking to add another gun into my rotation. Heres the deal, sometimes I'm doing stuff around the house or working out back and I have to make a run to the store but having to get my holster on to carry my gun sometimes slows me down. I wish I could just grab a pocket gun n a pocket holster n go. Please help me out, what's my options when it comes to pocket pistols. Thanks

aaangel
Posts in topic: 1

Re: pocket pistols

Post by aaangel »

cant beat a snub nose as my go to cvs in the middle of the night gun
'got to Texas ASAIC.

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

A J frame in a pocket holster is as quick and easy as they come.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

patterson

Post by patterson »

Sig P938 or a Beretta PX4 Storm sub compact

cheezit

Post by cheezit »

J frame, model 49, 649 are the first 2 that come to mind

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I second the snubbie suggestions. Mine is a 5 shot M&P340 scandium .357. The scandium framed guns are a little tougher when it comes to managing recoil, but they weigh so little that pocketing them is s breeze. Mine weighs 13oz. To put that into perspective my 5+1 round XDS-45, which is also pocketable, weighs 21.5 oz. My Kahr PM9 pocket gun Has 6+1 rounds and weighs 15.9 oz. with an empty magazine. Both of the semiautos have a couple more rounds of capacity, but they are also mechanically more complicated, and the snubbie, believe it or not, actually has an easier and faster sight picture. The XDS is my EDC. The PM9 is my "deep cover" gun because it is so tiny. But the snubbie revolver is by far the easiest "grab and go" gun of the three.

If you compare firepower, the snubbie may have the lower capacity, but it is he hardest hitting of the three guns. I keep it stoked with Hornady's 125 grain Critical Defense, which cranks out 1200fps/400 lb ft from a 2" barrel.

The XDS I load with Hornady's 185 grain Critical Defense For 900 fps/333 lb ft from a 3" barrel.

The PM9 (3" barrel) is loaded with Corbon 115 grain +P DPX, which develops 1250 fps/399 lb ft from a 4" barrel....so the Kahr is lower than that in both velocity and energy.

The Corbon ammo in the Kahr approaches the Hornady in the snubbie, but the Kahr's sights are harder to see, and there is always the risk of a malfunction.

Everybody should have at least one good reliable snub nose revolver.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

I will be ordering my first pocket gun on Monday. I never thought I would need to carry in my office but the time has come. My office is business attire so this will fit nicely in my pocket.
I refuse to be a soft target or engage in hand to hand combat with a "disgruntled employee" wielding a knife. One more 45 is never a bad thing.
I'm guessing this beast is not going to be fun shooting so a few test rounds "point blank" and 5 to 10 feet is about all the use it will get. Hopefully...

http://www.tombstonetactical.com/catalo ... stainless/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
III

Weg

Post by Weg »

It depends on how small you want to go. I carry a North American arms .22 mag. everywhere, and can drop it in the pocket of any pants I wear. It's usually accompanied by a larger pistol, but not always, especially in the hot months.

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

I used a Smith and Wesson Bodyguard .380
easy to conceal
6+1
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Shadow41

Post by Shadow41 »

I've got a S&W Bodygaurd 380 as well for summer carry. After reading about issues with the factory laser I opted for the standard version. I expected it to be extremely snappy considering it's size and weight, but found that it's very controllable and really not that bad. I has a pretty long trigger pull, but I'm ok with that since I do pocket carry from time to time. I usually carry in a small IWB holster though.

rentz

Post by rentz »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I second the snubbie suggestions. Mine is a 5 shot M&P340 scandium .357. The scandium framed guns are a little tougher when it comes to managing recoil, but they weigh so little that pocketing them is s breeze. Mine weighs 13oz. To put that into perspective my 5+1 round XDS-45, which is also pocketable, weighs 21.5 oz. My Kahr PM9 pocket gun Has 6+1 rounds and weighs 15.9 oz. with an empty magazine. Both of the semiautos have a couple more rounds of capacity, but they are also mechanically more complicated, and the snubbie, believe it or not, actually has an easier and faster sight picture. The XDS is my EDC. The PM9 is my "deep cover" gun because it is so tiny. But the snubbie revolver is by far the easiest "grab and go" gun of the three.

If you compare firepower, the snubbie may have the lower capacity, but it is he hardest hitting of the three guns. I keep it stoked with Hornady's 125 grain Critical Defense, which cranks out 1200fps/400 lb ft from a 2" barrel.

The XDS I load with Hornady's 185 grain Critical Defense For 900 fps/333 lb ft from a 3" barrel.

The PM9 (3" barrel) is loaded with Corbon 115 grain +P DPX, which develops 1250 fps/399 lb ft from a 4" barrel....so the Kahr is lower than that in both velocity and energy.

The Corbon ammo in the Kahr approaches the Hornady in the snubbie, but the Kahr's sights are harder to see, and there is always the risk of a malfunction.

Everybody should have at least one good reliable snub nose revolver.

i've always been a fan of the pm9 for these applications but after reading this post i may need to checkout a snubnose, i've actually never owned a revolver.
i'll agree on the sights, the kahr has such a small sight radius that it takes longer to get a good picture

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Kahr PM9 is my 95% carry pistol. Rides in my pocket most of the time. Great gun.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Salty1

Post by Salty1 »

I always have wondered why some people tend not to carry when at home then ask about a gun for a quick run to the store. From my perspective the most valuable things in my life is who I live with and would want to protect them as much as possible, especially when at home. Not carrying at home the same way one would when going out to a "less secure" place seems very concerning to me. My handgun is on me from the time I step out of the shower until I get in bed at night, no exceptions. It does not matter what I am doing, cutting the lawn, crawling under the Jeep etc. I do not ever want to scramble to get a firearm and the only scramble would be to grab a shotgun if needed while the pistol is still in my hand as the first line of defense. The most important item is the holster even more so than the actual handgun. If it is not comfortable as a package under all situations one may be involved in during daily activities then they will not carry often. This basically equates to deciding when they would need a gun for protection and when they would not.
Salty1

CC Italian

Post by CC Italian »

I think Tam said it best. Snub nose! My smith weighs less loaded them a pm9 unloaded. If you don't need something tiny like an lcp then a snub is great. I have a 7 shot .380 and I am under no illusions that it is better then a 5 shot with 135 gold dots. Just my two cents

EEllis
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by EEllis »

I think first you have to define pocket pistol. I think the gun must fit in the front pocket and you have to have room to have you hand and you gun inside that pocket at the same time. If you carry in a cargo pocket that doesn't equal pocket gun. It's not just a gun you can kind of fit in a pocket sometimes. Basically I have never seen anything larger than .380 that I place in that category. Some 9's fit some peoples pockets but not others. Revolvers, 32's and bigger anyway, have the same issue as far as I'm concerned. So aside from a doubletap or such I think only single stack .380 on down qualify for a pocket gun. Right now there are a lot of great guns that fit the bill.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”