Are night sights a scam?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Charlies.Contingency
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Are night sights a scam?

Post by Charlies.Contingency »

Excaliber wrote:You can learn a lot about low light shooting by using airsoft guns. They eliminate a lot of the issues with where you can train.
I have no problem getting the training in out on my own property, but it is a good suggestion for those that live in urban or suburban areas!
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

C-dub wrote:Recently, I've been wondering this.

My first set of night sights were from Meprolight. Those green dots were pretty big and easy to see. My current set is from Trijicon, the HD series with the hivis orange around the front dot for better visibility during the day. I like it. The green dots on these are quite a bit smaller and not as easy to line up in the dark quickly.

Since I have been practicing more close range shooting for a SD type scenario with one and two hands, I've not been using the sights at all. I don't even bring the gun up to eye level to make the shoots. They are usually from hip to chest height. For this reason, I'm debating whether my next set of sights will be night sights at all or something that will allow quicker acquisition during the daytime.

Thoughts?
I have those same Trijicon HD (orange) sights on my XDM, and I love them. And, they work better in daytime for me too, better than night sights OR regular sights do. On my set, the rear sight is black with a "U" shaped notch. The tritium inserts in the rear sight are surrounded by black rims, making them nearly disappear into the face of the sight in daytime.

Front sight up close:

Front sight in daylight (out of focus):

Both sights in low light, transitioning from sunlight to dark:

But in plain daylight, those two green dots in the rear sight are nearly invisible, and you just have a serrated black rear sight face.......which is about the perfect rear sight. The only thing it lacks is easy adjustability.

I honestly think that this sight combination gives me the best of both worlds. But I will add this: if all I can see is three green dots floating in utter blackness, I have no business pulling the trigger! It makes no sense at all to shoot if you can't see anything to shoot at (or NOT shoot at).
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I use the XS 24/7 sights. I like late white/green front and just the line on the rear. I believe in a high tense situation your front sight will probably shrink so I want the largest possible.

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MechAg94 »

C-dub wrote:
Beiruty wrote:I carry with TLR-2 HL (600 Lumens) and my home pistol has the older TLR-2 (250 lumens?)
See what you shoot and for shooting behind cover or from the hip, use the red laser.
The laser is an interesting tactic when shooting like this. I have tried a rail mounted laser before and didn't like it, but that was from a regular stance with arms extended. I've always liked, but never tried, the guide rod replacement with the laser in there. For shooting, when a traditional stance and aim cannot be taken, that might be helpful.
The crimson trace lasers I have used work great. If you don't have time to aim, they give you that quick aiming point. I think at short range, just a good light ought to give a basic aiming point.
I like the light guard and laser guard models.

Topic author
C-dub
Posts in topic: 10

Post by C-dub »

carlson1 wrote:I use the XS 24/7 sights. I like late white/green front and just the line on the rear. I believe in a high tense situation your front sight will probably shrink so I want the largest possible.
The 24/7 Big Dots are the ones I've considered. I just wish the white front and rear around the tritium was orange like on my Trijicon HD's. That might be nearly a perfect sight system.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

C-dub wrote:
carlson1 wrote:I use the XS 24/7 sights. I like late white/green front and just the line on the rear. I believe in a high tense situation your front sight will probably shrink so I want the largest possible.
The 24/7 Big Dots are the ones I've considered. I just wish the white front and rear around the tritium was orange like on my Trijicon HD's. That might be nearly a perfect sight system.
The ones TAM posted a few post up might work for you.

I like that front sight having two colors just in case my target is wearing one of those colors. I don't want my front sight blending in with my target. :fire

Charlies.Contingency

george wrote:CPSL had a night match (IDPA like, with less rules) at our range here. The results were "enlightening" (unable to resist) for those of us who had never shot in a low light situation. The only ones who really did well had the lights attached to their pistols.

I always had tritium on my concealed pistol, but probably will consider attaching a light for home use.

I would be interested in hearing from LEO. I assume they do some practice in this area?
From a LEO standpoint, the sights help if you can see you target, because it's no bueno if you can't line up your sights on them because black on black. I always use a flashlight of course, but I don't use a pistol mounted light. I don't want them to shoot at the light because that's all they see, and have it right in front of my face. I carry various hand held flash lights in my off hand, and I extend it up and away from my body when applicable, so if somebody does start shooting, hopefully the light is blindin enough that they don't see my silouette, and they shoot at my light, which would be over two feet away from my body. I'd rather get shot in the arm, then shot in the face. That's just my approach, But I had coworkers that loved mouted lights because better gun control, so it's a compromise of what you want.

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

I gather from the posts in this thread that night sights are good. What night sights to you recommend and why for a S&W Shield? XDm 4.5"?
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

ripnbst

Post by ripnbst »

OneGun wrote:I gather from the posts in this thread that night sights are good. What night sights to you recommend and why for a S&W Shield? XDm 4.5"?
Maybe re-read the posts above a few more times? The gun they are mounted on doesn't change their effectiveness. You need to find what you like and use that, it's based alot on personal preference. I'd go with tritium sights over a "charged by light" type. You could put them on every gun you own, wouldn't matter.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

Charlies.Contingency wrote:
george wrote:CPSL had a night match (IDPA like, with less rules) at our range here. The results were "enlightening" (unable to resist) for those of us who had never shot in a low light situation. The only ones who really did well had the lights attached to their pistols.

I always had tritium on my concealed pistol, but probably will consider attaching a light for home use.

I would be interested in hearing from LEO. I assume they do some practice in this area?
From a LEO standpoint, the sights help if you can see you target, because it's no bueno if you can't line up your sights on them because black on black. I always use a flashlight of course, but I don't use a pistol mounted light. I don't want them to shoot at the light because that's all they see, and have it right in front of my face. I carry various hand held flash lights in my off hand, and I extend it up and away from my body when applicable, so if somebody does start shooting, hopefully the light is blindin enough that they don't see my silouette, and they shoot at my light, which would be over two feet away from my body. I'd rather get shot in the arm, then shot in the face. That's just my approach, But I had coworkers that loved mouted lights because better gun control, so it's a compromise of what you want.
Another benefit of having the light off gun is that you're not pointing your gun at everything you're sweeping with your light. OTOH, in either case, aren't you supposed to be "pulsing" the light on for less than a second at a time, and moving in between?
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Charlies.Contingency

VMI77 wrote:
Charlies.Contingency wrote:

Another benefit of having the light off gun is that you're not pointing your gun at everything you're sweeping with your light. OTOH, in either case, aren't you supposed to be "pulsing" the light on for less than a second at a time, and moving in between?
I didn't emphasize on light tactics, because there are so many different ways it's taught. The most important part to me is keeping it away from my body, because that little light is a bullet magnet. (That idea helps me remember to keep it away!) :lol:

Topic author
C-dub
Posts in topic: 10

Post by C-dub »

carlson1 wrote:
C-dub wrote:
The ones TAM posted a few post up might work for you.

I like that front sight having two colors just in case my target is wearing one of those colors. I don't want my front sight blending in with my target. :fire
I have had those same sights on both Glocks for over a year and they are great! I'm just wondering that in a high stress close quarters situation if I'll even be able to see them or have the gun up at an angle to make use of the night sights.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

I love my night sights on my Sig. We had a night qualification at the academy at from anchor point to 7yrds pitch black shooting off hand with no night sights. This made me get them on my duty weapon. Honestly, in a life threatening situation you will never see your sights.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”