Dangerous Dogs and Use of Deadly Force

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
tomdavis
Posts in topic: 1

Dangerous Dogs and Use of Deadly Force

Post by tomdavis »

I worry a lot about dangerous dogs in relation to my daughter and grand daughters walking in the neighborhood. Bought her a high quality pepper spray but she seldom if ever remembers to carry it. Today a very interesting article arrived from USA Open Carry about Dangerous Dogs and Deadly Force. Here is the shortened version of the URL - http://bit.ly/1tNg48x. I found it well written but it left me with many Texas-related questions. But, not to worry, as surely that topic has been discussed here. Next click landed me here and I entered "dog" in the search box. If that utility is working then "dog" does not appear here even once.

Does anyone here know of legislation in Texas regarding this issue and CHL holders? If not then could this be something to add to Charles' list of items to take to the legislature?
...for as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom – for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself. Arbroath, 4/6/1320.

TBJK

Re: Dangerous Dogs and Use of Deadly Force

Post by TBJK »

Are you talking about are we protected if we shoot them? That came up in a seminar I was at. The lawyer indicated you could be charged with animal cruelty from what I remember. But if it were attacking your livestock or similar there was no issue in using deadly force. Again that is what I remember but I'm no lawyer & I may not have understood correctly.

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jumping Frog »

Search only works with words that are 4 characters or longer. Shorter words are ignored.

Sure, someone can be charged with animal cruelty for gratuitously shooting a dog, but not when they are being attacked.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Hindenburg

Post by Hindenburg »

You can be charged with anything but if the dog is actually attacking then § 9.22 should apply.

Salty1

Post by Salty1 »

As long as the dog is actually dangerous and attacking I doubt there would be any issues. The problem one may encounter is considering a barking dog dangerous when in fact it is just making noise and looking for attention. I would be quite upset if somebody shot one of my Golden retrievers because they were running around barking looking for affection, fortunately they do not run loose.......
Salty1

rentz
Posts in topic: 7

Post by rentz »

Salty1 wrote:As long as the dog is actually dangerous and attacking I doubt there would be any issues. The problem one may encounter is considering a barking dog dangerous when in fact it is just making noise and looking for attention. I would be quite upset if somebody shot one of my Golden retrievers because they were running around barking looking for affection, fortunately they do not run loose.......

Bingo, and i really think based on several events over the past year involving officers and dog's that people may be too quick to shoot a dog thinking they are in danger. To me it's just like any other situation, is your life and body really in danger or is there a peaceful escape of the situation without having to draw your sidearm.

I can say I don't know what I would do if someone shot my dog (who is a "dangerous breed" ) but it probably wouldn't be anything good, dogs are like family to me.

VMI77
Posts in topic: 4

Post by VMI77 »

rentz wrote:
Salty1 wrote:As long as the dog is actually dangerous and attacking I doubt there would be any issues. The problem one may encounter is considering a barking dog dangerous when in fact it is just making noise and looking for attention. I would be quite upset if somebody shot one of my Golden retrievers because they were running around barking looking for affection, fortunately they do not run loose.......

Bingo, and i really think based on several events over the past year involving officers and dog's that people may be too quick to shoot a dog thinking they are in danger. To me it's just like any other situation, is your life and body really in danger or is there a peaceful escape of the situation without having to draw your sidearm.

I can say I don't know what I would do if someone shot my dog (who is a "dangerous breed" ) but it probably wouldn't be anything good, dogs are like family to me.
Yeah, I'm way more afraid of someone unfamiliar with dogs, or irrationally afraid of dogs, shooting one of my dogs, should they escape, than I am about being attacked by a dog. I have dealt with all kinds of stray dogs, including supposedly dangerous breeds, and they're usually more afraid of you than you have any reason to be afraid of them.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

TVGuy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TVGuy »

rentz wrote:

I'm in a similar situation and if someone shot one of my dogs we would have a real problem. I'm the proud father of three docile pit bulls, but that doesn't mean there aren't people that think they are about to be attacked if one of the dogs just looks at them.

Don't shoot dogs.

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 5

Post by cb1000rider »

My wife has been bitten twice in our neighborhood. I've encouraged her to carry pepper spray, but she doesn't do it.
Neither bites were "dangerous breeds" - but statistically, that's not where the bites come from.
We have a lot of dogs "at large" - even from some fairly wealthy property owners who just have a "country dog" mentality.
I'm not entirely sure how to handle it. Warning shots aren't legal. And it's perhaps more dangerous to shoot a dog at very close range, especially if that dog isn't of the variety that could kill you.

We've got one lab that is especially bad. We solved that problem by carrying a paintball gun (empty) and firing a few shots the last time he came running. It's loud enough that it sounds like a gun and this dog has obviously been shot at before... Carrying a paintball gun isn't a realistic option.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

cb1000rider wrote:My wife has been bitten twice in our neighborhood. I've encouraged her to carry pepper spray, but she doesn't do it.
Neither bites were "dangerous breeds" - but statistically, that's not where the bites come from.
We have a lot of dogs "at large" - even from some fairly wealthy property owners who just have a "country dog" mentality.
I'm not entirely sure how to handle it. Warning shots aren't legal. And it's perhaps more dangerous to shoot a dog at very close range, especially if that dog isn't of the variety that could kill you.

We've got one lab that is especially bad. We solved that problem by carrying a paintball gun (empty) and firing a few shots the last time he came running. It's loud enough that it sounds like a gun and this dog has obviously been shot at before... Carrying a paintball gun isn't a realistic option.
Do you have dogs of your own? Determining when a dog is dangerous is not that difficult if you're familiar with dogs....they give off pretty clear signs when you know what they are. Labs aren't known for being aggressive. What makes you think he's dangerous, as opposed to wanting to play? Many untrained dogs will jump on people for affection but they're not being aggressive, just undisciplined.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 15

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

VMI77 wrote:Yeah, I'm way more afraid of someone unfamiliar with dogs, or irrationally afraid of dogs, shooting one of my dogs, should they escape, than I am about being attacked by a dog. I have dealt with all kinds of stray dogs, including supposedly dangerous breeds, and they're usually more afraid of you than you have any reason to be afraid of them.
While walking my dogs we have been attacked three times by pitbulls, and once by a "friendly" hunting dog. Something about my old mountain dog makes pits attack, which inevitably ends badly for the pit. I carry a really big can of pepper spray and 30 rounds of 9mm and will use both.
Last edited by Cedar Park Dad on Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 15

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

TVGuy wrote:
rentz wrote:

I'm in a similar situation and if someone shot one of my dogs we would have a real problem. I'm the proud father of three docile pit bulls, but that doesn't mean there aren't people that think they are about to be attacked if one of the dogs just looks at them.

Don't shoot dogs.
If your pit is off a leash and comes near me I'd empty a mag in it and not give it another thought. :mad5

rentz
Posts in topic: 7

Post by rentz »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:
TVGuy wrote:
rentz wrote:

Don't shoot dogs.
If your pit is off a leash and comes near me I'd empty a mag in it and not give it another thought. :mad5

well that just sounds perfectly reasonable now doesn't it?
make sure to scream OMG it's coming right for us first (southpark joke for those who dont get it)

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:
VMI77 wrote:Yeah, I'm way more afraid of someone unfamiliar with dogs, or irrationally afraid of dogs, shooting one of my dogs, should they escape, than I am about being attacked by a dog. I have dealt with all kinds of stray dogs, including supposedly dangerous breeds, and they're usually more afraid of you than you have any reason to be afraid of them.
While walking my dogs we have been attacked three times by pitbulls, and once by a "friendly" hunting dog. Something about my old mountain dog makes pits attack, which inevitably ends badly for the pit. I carry a really big can of pepper spray and 30 rounds of 9mm and will use both.
My erstwhile Great Dane was a magnet for dog attacks. Even little dogs wanted to challenge him. Once two dogs jumped out of a second story window to come after him. Our fear wasn't for him though, but having seen him "take care" of an even bigger dog, that he'd make short work of them (he didn't kill it, but in the blink of an eye, the other dog found his head securely inside my Dane's mouth). I cleared the area with him and my wife distracted the other two dogs (couldn't do it the other way because she couldn't handle my Dane, he could just pull her down and take off if he wanted to).

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 3

Post by anygunanywhere »

rentz wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:
TVGuy wrote:
rentz wrote:

Don't shoot dogs.

well that just sounds perfectly reasonable now doesn't it?
make sure to scream OMG it's coming right for us first (southpark joke for those who dont get it)
Sounds as perfectly reasonable as people allowing their dogs to run loose.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”