Quirkiest gun-related thing you do...

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Saffron
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Quirkiest gun-related thing you do...

Post by Saffron »

Charlies.Contingency wrote:function check
Do you carry around a pencil for this or use something else?
I do know my Bible, sir.

Charlies.Contingency
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Charlies.Contingency »

Saffron wrote:
Charlies.Contingency wrote:function check
Do you carry around a pencil for this or use something else?
I've got a bunch of snap rounds that SAPD handed out with the first glocks in 1993, or at least my Glock had them. One thing that always paranoids me is ejections. I've seen more than a few glocks start stove piping due to ejectors hooking the brass and holding on to them. Thankfully Drury's replace mine when it did it, unfortunately, It failed me and it did not fully secure a round during rapid fire, causing a nice little fiery explosion in my hand. I still carry the same glock, though it is not carried under SAPD's insignia, since they switched over to the S&W M&P anyway. Maybe this is part of the reason too, but I've had a family member take one to the chest when their duty gun's firing pin did not engage during a firefight.l
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Charlies.Contingency wrote:Every time I re-aquire or store my duty gun, I always drop the mag, clear the chamber, and do a function check. Even if I left my gun in my truck to run into some place, and I come back, I do it. I go into a secured facility, I empty, function test, place in box, when I come back out, I function test then reload. I'm paranoid I guess, my wife doesn't say anything when I get home, go to my safe, unload, function test, then reload a mag before locking it away. I'm not sure if it's because I'm afraid it won't cycle, or that somebody tampered with it. I never understood, but I can't stand blindly holstering up without checking it first. :willynilly:
That is an VERY UNSAFE practice ... You are asking for a KA-BOOM from bullet setback.

I am on my phone so I am not going to do the search for you. But search for "bullet setback" with author "jumping frog" and you'll see prior posts explaining this risk with illustrative pictures.

Cartridges that are too short, shorter than designed COAL, have DRAMATICALLY increased pressures.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Charlies.Contingency

Jumping Frog wrote:
Charlies.Contingency wrote:Every time I re-aquire or store my duty gun, I always drop the mag, clear the chamber, and do a function check. Even if I left my gun in my truck to run into some place, and I come back, I do it. I go into a secured facility, I empty, function test, place in box, when I come back out, I function test then reload. I'm paranoid I guess, my wife doesn't say anything when I get home, go to my safe, unload, function test, then reload a mag before locking it away. I'm not sure if it's because I'm afraid it won't cycle, or that somebody tampered with it. I never understood, but I can't stand blindly holstering up without checking it first. :willynilly:
That is an VERY UNSAFE practice ... You are asking for a KA-BOOM from bullet setback.

I am on my phone so I am not going to do the search for you. But search for "bullet setback" with author "jumping frog" and you'll see prior posts explaining this risk with illustrative pictures.

Cartridges that are too short, shorter than designed COAL, have DRAMATICALLY increased pressures.
I understand what you are saying, but you do realize that unload and reloading is part of my job, and that I don't unload and reload just for function check, right?

I watch for bullet setback, but most high quality ammunition such as Hornady Critical Duty has good crimping, and not as easily set back as say, winchester white box ball ammo. I rotate my ammunition, and regularly watch for bullet set back, but I have experience none in my two most common carry guns. Though I appreciate your concern, I cannot stop this "Dangerous Practice" of what my job requires, because my job itself is a "Dangerous Practice."

I only rotate two round as my chambered round per magazine. Whenever I reload, I apply the fresh magazine into the hangun, cycle, release the mag, and add the previous chambered round to the magazine. After a while of this, I retire the two rounds to a bullet holder on top of my gun safe to be latter checked and "spent" if still usable for practice.

Ammunition manufactures know that ammunition that is going to be used for law enforcement will be subject to constant reloading and cycling before eventually being fired, and I firmly believe that they have compensated for this with better casings and crimping for duty ammunition. One of the reasons for which I choose Hornady Critical Duty. Not for ballistics or cool factor, but for reliability in feed, firing, and overall quality.

Texas_Blaze

Post by Texas_Blaze »

When i get to work, and step out of my truck,i give my self a pat down to confirm i ain't armed w/ ruger sr9c. Can't take it in.
Distinguished author of opinions and pro bono self proclaimed internet lawyer providing expert advice on what you should do and believe on all matters of life.

Charlies.Contingency

Texas_Blaze wrote:When i get to work, and step out of my truck,i give my self a pat down to confirm i ain't armed w/ ruger sr9c. Can't take it in.
I forgot about my whole pat down ordeal. I always wear BDU pants like 5.11's, and anytime I intend to go somewhere when I'm off duty that has restrictions that apply to me, I always pat myself down, going through all my my pockets and stuff. I can't say that I've never forgotten a hidden mag or a thigh holster, or knives tucked away.

canvasbck
Posts in topic: 2

Post by canvasbck »

I keep my carry gun immaculately clean. I will clean it even if it hasn't been fired in a while just because lint could accumulate.

My competition gun, I keep nasty dirty. It's almost a badge of honor to have the last 1-1/2" of the slide coated brown. I only clean it for sanctioned matches or if it gets so dirty that the magazines don't fall out when I hit the mag release because so much gunk has accumulated in the mag well. Not uncommon for me to go 6000+ rounds in between cleanings. Someone who shoots with me will probably chime in shortly to confirm all of this.
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

What brand/model is your pistol that runs well dirty?

TIA/SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

M&P9 pro series
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”