USMC spec ops to adopt Glock 19

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
MoJo
Posts in topic: 1

USMC spec ops to adopt Glock 19

Post by MoJo »

It's true, :shock: there are several other articles about this in both the gun media and the other guys. This is from one of the other guys. The only thing I would have done differently, make it a G 17 or G 34. :thumbs2:

"The United States Marine Corps announced today that they recently added a new pistol to its list of authorized individual weapons and it is neither a Colt 1911A1 nor a Beretta M9. It is the 9mm Glock 19 polymer-framed pistol made in Austria."

http://www.examiner.com/article/marine- ... -19-pistol" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

C-dub

Re: USMC spec ops to adopt Glock 19

Post by C-dub »

This is the article I saw that said they are allowed to choose.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2015 ... ayinmil.sm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Why wouldn't they go with the G17. With the larger grip it would be easier to hold with gloves.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Target1911

Post by Target1911 »

C-dub wrote:This is the article I saw that said they are allowed to choose.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2015 ... ayinmil.sm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Why wouldn't they go with the G17. With the larger grip it would be easier to hold with gloves.
Not to mention longer sight radius and higher capacity as well as easier to control.

I never have like the YOU CARRY WHAT I WANT YOU TO CARRY frame of mind. Not when it comes to pistols. Ft Worth PD was only allowed to carry Sigs for many many years. That was only because the chief was a huge sign fan. It wasn't until recently they were allowed to carry Glock. I agree that Sig is a well made gun but it is far from my choice of weapon.
DAD, You are missed
6-5-54 ~ 4-16-10
rwhedgeart.com
III% United Patriots of Texas

Salty1

Post by Salty1 »

Target1911 wrote:

Not to mention longer sight radius and higher capacity as well as easier to control.

I never have like the YOU CARRY WHAT I WANT YOU TO CARRY frame of mind. Not when it comes to pistols. Ft Worth PD was only allowed to carry Sigs for many many years. That was only because the chief was a huge sign fan. It wasn't until recently they were allowed to carry Glock. I agree that Sig is a well made gun but it is far from my choice of weapon.
And here lies the issue with most departments, they buy price and reliability first and foremost and not what fits the persons hand. Glock offers very low pricing to Law Enforcement so to some it is a no brainer and not that it is the best handgun for the officers. Sig's tend to be twice the price of Glock's so in many cases it is a pure financial decision..... Now here is where we totally disagree, I would take any Sig over any Glock without hesitation. Actually I would not even own a Glock even if given to me.

As mentioned Special Ops has a choice of what they want to carry and many times it is mission related. Adding a Glock to the mix is a no brainer as many people really like them and shoot them well But they are one of many and really is no big deal.
Salty1

Jason K
Banned

Post by Jason K »

A lot of missions require concealed weapons. A G19 would fill that role better than a G17.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

I wasn't familiar with the Glock 19. I have shot the Glock 17 and found it to be a very good shooting 9 mm pistol.

The Glock 19 is 9mm as well but just a little bit smaller. The barrel length and the distance between the sights is about 1/2 inch smaller than the 17.

I felt the 17 was a bit big to easily CC, so maybe the 19 would be easier. If it was my choice and didn't have to conceal, I would stay with the 17.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Salty1 wrote:Actually I would not even own a Glock even if given to me.
I disagree with you there. I've actually considered buying a used Glock from GT Distributors to leave in my truck. There are two reasons for that:

1. If it got stolen, it woudn't bother me so much.

2. I never know when I might need a wheel Glock , er chock.

:biggrinjester:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Dadtodabone

Post by Dadtodabone »

That's just bad....
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

JSThane
Banned

Post by JSThane »

Dadtodabone wrote:That's just bad....
Send the offending punner to the chopping Glock!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”