A Look At The Glock 43 (Several Photos)

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

User avatar

A-R
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 5776
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:01 pm
Location: Austin area

Re: A Look At The Glock 43 (Several Photos)

#16

Post by A-R » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:07 am

TVGuy wrote:
A-R wrote:
TVGuy wrote:I think width is the biggest thing the 43 has going for it when compared to the 26. I was going to grab a 43, but I found the width difference didn't make up for the 4 round disadvantage. Also, with a 26 I can easily carry a spare 15 or 17 round mag, all you get is another 6 with the 43. Major downside to the 43 as I see it.

Weight is the big difference between G43 & G26. Based on carrying both in an ankle holster, I'd estimate about a half pound difference- substantial if you're carrying on ankle or in a pocket. The half inch shorter barrel/slide also makes G43 a better pocket gun than Shield.
Empty, the 26 Gen 4 is 3.76 ounces heavier than the 43, that's next to nothing. It's all opinion and personal preference, but the items I listed above are the reason I'll be sticking w/ a 26.

But 4 (or more with mag extensions) fewer rounds in G43 also saves weight. I can tell you from personal experience ankle carrying both the weight difference is noticeable.


JSThane
Banned
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 610
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:07 pm

Re: A Look At The Glock 43 (Several Photos)

#17

Post by JSThane » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:00 am

It's not just the weight, but also the width. That extra quarter? eighth? of an inch can make a -big- difference in how the pistol rides in certain concealment holster types, how it interacts with clothing, and how it interacts with the hand. I have a G42, and am looking for a G43. I have, or have shot, Mustang/P238s (same gun, really), LCP/P3ATs, and several other "pocket pistols" in .380, and the G42 is, to my hands, far easier in recoil and far easier to shoot accurately than any other pocket pistol I've tried (can't believe I just said that about a Bloc... er, Glock :roll: ). What it is definitely not, is a "combat pistol." It -is- a deep-concealment firearm, intended as a "gun you have when you can't have a real gun," and for that role, it performs admirably, I think. Yeah, it gives up significant firepower compared to its fatter bretheren, but it's intended for a slightly different role, one which the 26/27 can fill, but nowhere nearly as well.

Oh, and yes, I am intending another 9mm Glock after the 43, probably a 19. I've finally given in and admitted they do shoot well, even for me, and I'm becoming less and less willing to carry a prize favorite gun that is not so easily replaced.


cyphertext
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 609
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:31 am

Re: A Look At The Glock 43 (Several Photos)

#18

Post by cyphertext » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:31 am

TVGuy wrote:
A-R wrote:
TVGuy wrote:I think width is the biggest thing the 43 has going for it when compared to the 26. I was going to grab a 43, but I found the width difference didn't make up for the 4 round disadvantage. Also, with a 26 I can easily carry a spare 15 or 17 round mag, all you get is another 6 with the 43. Major downside to the 43 as I see it.

Weight is the big difference between G43 & G26. Based on carrying both in an ankle holster, I'd estimate about a half pound difference- substantial if you're carrying on ankle or in a pocket. The half inch shorter barrel/slide also makes G43 a better pocket gun than Shield.
Empty, the 26 Gen 4 is 3.76 ounces heavier than the 43, that's next to nothing. It's all opinion and personal preference, but the items I listed above are the reason I'll be sticking w/ a 26.
I don't carry my guns empty, so weight can and does make a difference. As others have stated, just a quarter of an inch, or just a couple of ounces can make a difference in how the gun rides in certain holsters.

User avatar

TVGuy
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 1088
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:47 am
Location: DFW

Re: A Look At The Glock 43 (Several Photos)

#19

Post by TVGuy » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:23 am

cyphertext wrote:
TVGuy wrote:
A-R wrote:
TVGuy wrote:I think width is the biggest thing the 43 has going for it when compared to the 26. I was going to grab a 43, but I found the width difference didn't make up for the 4 round disadvantage. Also, with a 26 I can easily carry a spare 15 or 17 round mag, all you get is another 6 with the 43. Major downside to the 43 as I see it.

Weight is the big difference between G43 & G26. Based on carrying both in an ankle holster, I'd estimate about a half pound difference- substantial if you're carrying on ankle or in a pocket. The half inch shorter barrel/slide also makes G43 a better pocket gun than Shield.
Empty, the 26 Gen 4 is 3.76 ounces heavier than the 43, that's next to nothing. It's all opinion and personal preference, but the items I listed above are the reason I'll be sticking w/ a 26.
I don't carry my guns empty, so weight can and does make a difference. As others have stated, just a quarter of an inch, or just a couple of ounces can make a difference in how the gun rides in certain holsters.
My point is that you can only equate the weight empty. If you want, you could carry the G 26 with 6 or 6+1 just like the G 43 and the weight difference would be the same.

Carry all the ammo you think you need, and then carry more.

User avatar

jmra
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 8
Posts: 10346
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:51 am
Location: Ellis County

Re: A Look At The Glock 43 (Several Photos)

#20

Post by jmra » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:56 pm

I have a G26 and had a XDs .45. I can tell you that even though there isn't much difference in size and weight the XDs was much more comfortable to carry. I moved away from the XDs because of the design issues and never really liked the trigger.
I believe the G43 will give me exactly what I was looking for in the XDs.
I am 4th on the list at SWFA for their next shipments.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

User avatar

Topic author
carlson1
Moderator
Posts in topic: 13
Posts: 9630
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:11 am

Re: A Look At The Glock 43 (Several Photos)

#21

Post by carlson1 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:48 pm

jmra wrote:I have a G26 and had a XDs .45. I can tell you that even though there isn't much difference in size and weight the XDs was much more comfortable to carry. I moved away from the XDs because of the design issues and never really liked the trigger.
I believe the G43 will give me exactly what I was looking for in the XDs.
I am 4th on the list at SWFA for their next shipments.
I have already said I am a fan of Glocks, but the Shield has the best trigger for me. I carry my Shield as a BUG and I will the same with the G43. Someone mentioned the G43 as a pocket carry. I don't see the G43 as a pocket pistol. It is larger than the G42 and it is a tight fit.
Image

User avatar

jmra
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 8
Posts: 10346
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:51 am
Location: Ellis County

Re: A Look At The Glock 43 (Several Photos)

#22

Post by jmra » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:04 pm

carlson1 wrote:
jmra wrote:I have a G26 and had a XDs .45. I can tell you that even though there isn't much difference in size and weight the XDs was much more comfortable to carry. I moved away from the XDs because of the design issues and never really liked the trigger.
I believe the G43 will give me exactly what I was looking for in the XDs.
I am 4th on the list at SWFA for their next shipments.
I have already said I am a fan of Glocks, but the Shield has the best trigger for me. I carry my Shield as a BUG and I will the same with the G43. Someone mentioned the G43 as a pocket carry. I don't see the G43 as a pocket pistol. It is larger than the G42 and it is a tight fit.
Sorry Carlson my post was directed at the poster who didn't see a need for the single stacks vs the g26. I have no experience with the shield but I've heard good things about it. The only reason I'm not looking at the shield is due to my familiarity with glocks and wanting the trigger to be as much alike between my different weapons as possible.
The purpose of my post was to stress how much more comfortable for me personally a single stack is over a double stack.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

User avatar

Topic author
carlson1
Moderator
Posts in topic: 13
Posts: 9630
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:11 am

Re: A Look At The Glock 43 (Several Photos)

#23

Post by carlson1 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:48 pm

jmra wrote:
carlson1 wrote:
jmra wrote:I have a G26 and had a XDs .45. I can tell you that even though there isn't much difference in size and weight the XDs was much more comfortable to carry. I moved away from the XDs because of the design issues and never really liked the trigger.
I believe the G43 will give me exactly what I was looking for in the XDs.
I am 4th on the list at SWFA for their next shipments.
I have already said I am a fan of Glocks, but the Shield has the best trigger for me. I carry my Shield as a BUG and I will the same with the G43. Someone mentioned the G43 as a pocket carry. I don't see the G43 as a pocket pistol. It is larger than the G42 and it is a tight fit.
Sorry Carlson my post was directed at the poster who didn't see a need for the single stacks vs the g26. I have no experience with the shield but I've heard good things about it. The only reason I'm not looking at the shield is due to my familiarity with glocks and wanting the trigger to be as much alike between my different weapons as possible.
The purpose of my post was to stress how much more comfortable for me personally a single stack is over a double stack.
I understood so no need to apologize. Several years back when I gave up all of my 1911's and went Glocks I never looked back. I have not had a chance to shoot the G43, but I have no reason to believe it will not keep up with Goock standard and be a great shooting pistol. It will be a BUG at times for me. I just can't bring myself to carry just one pistol much less a single stack by itself. I guess it is that paranoia thing. :coolgleamA:
Image


rentz
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 788
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 9:16 am
Location: DFW

Re: A Look At The Glock 43 (Several Photos)

#24

Post by rentz » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:37 am

carlson1 wrote:
jmra wrote:I have a G26 and had a XDs .45. I can tell you that even though there isn't much difference in size and weight the XDs was much more comfortable to carry. I moved away from the XDs because of the design issues and never really liked the trigger.
I believe the G43 will give me exactly what I was looking for in the XDs.
I am 4th on the list at SWFA for their next shipments.
I have already said I am a fan of Glocks, but the Shield has the best trigger for me. I carry my Shield as a BUG and I will the same with the G43. Someone mentioned the G43 as a pocket carry. I don't see the G43 as a pocket pistol. It is larger than the G42 and it is a tight fit.
I currently have a shield and it has to be the softest shooting subcompact I've owned, the trigger is nice and can be improved with the apex kit...my only issue is its too big for pocket carry and the g43 is roughly the same size so I wouldn't say its a pocket pistol either.

The ONLY thing that has me tempted on the G43 is that reviews are showing it is a fair amount lighter than the shield, I have a G42 that I got on a whim and may not keep and that thing weighs next to nothing.


mikeloc
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:43 pm

Re: A Look At The Glock 43 (Several Photos)

#25

Post by mikeloc » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:46 am

I also own a Shield, Glock 42, and Glock 43. I've not had the chance to shoot the 43 yet, but will soon. I found the 42 to be the best shooting .380 for me and I have a LCP and Colt .380. I like the fit and the way the Shield shoots. I carry it IWB. When I can't carry IWB I carry the 43 in my pocket. I use a Remora holster for all three.

Mike


JRG
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 755
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:57 pm
Location: Altoona, IA

Re: A Look At The Glock 43 (Several Photos)

#26

Post by JRG » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:31 pm

carlson1 wrote:[I just can't bring myself to carry just one pistol much less a single stack by itself. I guess it is that paranoia thing. :coolgleamA:
There is a former Colorado sheriff, now retired, in our RV park in Arizona over the winter. I found while talking to him about guns and such, that even in retirement, he carries 3 pistols daily. Wow! I normally carry just the one gun, but have on occasion carried two. I do not forsee a time when I would carry 3. Now if I am carrying two and am driving in one of my vehicles, then I would have 3 available though.

Joe

User avatar

SA_Steve
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 357
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:59 pm
Location: San Antonio, north central hills

Re: A Look At The Glock 43 (Several Photos)

#27

Post by SA_Steve » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:45 pm

Remember the west TX sheriff who carried two revolvers, in cross draw holsters. Both empty.
He killed a lot of bad guys who went for his gun/s.
Used his concealed carry.
You may have the last word.

User avatar

Topic author
carlson1
Moderator
Posts in topic: 13
Posts: 9630
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:11 am

Re: A Look At The Glock 43 (Several Photos)

#28

Post by carlson1 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:59 pm

A few more photos that I thought was interesting. The G43 is just a little larger than the G42. Not much difference at all. My wife enjoys shooting the G42 a lot.

Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar

Topic author
carlson1
Moderator
Posts in topic: 13
Posts: 9630
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:11 am

Re: A Look At The Glock 43 (Several Photos)

#29

Post by carlson1 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:18 pm

My thought is if your physically able to handle a 9mm there is no need for G42 unless it is for your BUG. The G43 is Just a tiny bit larger in size, but in a better caliber.
Image

User avatar

jmra
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 8
Posts: 10346
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:51 am
Location: Ellis County

Re: A Look At The Glock 43 (Several Photos)

#30

Post by jmra » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:21 pm

How much difference in width between the 42 and the 43? From the pics it doesn't look like much.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Post Reply

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”