Debating on a new 1911

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

aggie67
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Debating on a new 1911

Post by aggie67 »

I have Colts, Springers, Kimbers, RIA in the stable and I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry often and think it is great--never had a hickup after I bought it used. I think Springer is a great value and I drool over some of my 80+ year old Colts.
That being said, be a real Texan and look at the Texas built STIs. I have a Les Bauer and my two STis are just as good and really well made and finished. I don't own a Commander length STI yet, but have been looking. Selecting Autos, Ladies, and Guns is a personal thing and there are lots of opinions out there. My post is to get you to look at an alternative. Priced with Kimbers, Texas built and so sexy.

Mental Health and Budget Warning: Buying and shooting 1911s is like Lays Potato Chips--you can not stop at one. My boss lady/wife says that buying more guns is just like chasing women, drinking good whiskey, bailing hay and good using horses--just another darn bad habit.

aaangel
Posts in topic: 2

Post by aaangel »

hahaha! on point aggie67! we should start a 1911holics anonymous group! :thewave
'got to Texas ASAIC.

Scott in Houston

Post by Scott in Houston »

Ha! This thread re-instigated an itch that I never scratched a few years ago. I was so close to buying an STI but ended up not getting it and just continuing on with my Ruger 1911.

So… I went online to start searching STI again, and did a search on the Guardian model that I'm continuing, and one of the first links on Google is:

viewtopic.php?t=52148

BTW, you don't need to click, but that's a thread I started back when I was considering it! LOL
I didn't remember any of it, so my past-self just taught my future self some stuff…

And today, I think I'll get it. Thank you Forum!

KC80

Post by KC80 »

My Ruger Commander.
:seeya:

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 3

Post by anygunanywhere »

AndyC wrote:
VMI77 wrote:
AndyC wrote:I'm a 1911 guy - get the Springfield, ditch the nasty Kimber.

If you're on a budget, get a RIA with good sights eg. the Tactical model.
I was thinking about a Kimber, then I read in the EOTech drift thread the claim that Kimber's are assembled from inferior parts and over priced.

You recommend the Springfield....any others you'd recommend in the under $2,000 price range?
I've never been impressed with Kimbers - I don't feel they're passionate gun-guys, they seem to be all about cheaping-out/selling high and their workmanship is shoddy to my eyes - although some owners seem quite happy.

Colt, Dan Wesson, STI are all available around the sub-$1,000 mark and go up from there - *some* of the Sigs are pretty good, too, even though they don't conform to pure 1911 specs eg. the extractor. If I had to buy my first 1911 around the $1k mark, it would likely be a Springfield Loaded - if I wanted to spend close to the full $2k, probably a Springfield TRP, something to my specs from the Colt Custom Shop or a Les Baer.
Both of my Kimbers were purchased used and I agree with your reasoning. The only 1911 I purchased new was my Springfield. If I were to buy a new carry 1911 I would look at STI or the higher end Springfields as you suggested.

That Dan Wesson is one nice pistol too.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

AndyC wrote:
VMI77 wrote:

I was thinking about a Kimber, then I read in the EOTech drift thread the claim that Kimber's are assembled from inferior parts and over priced.

You recommend the Springfield....any others you'd recommend in the under $2,000 price range?
I've never been impressed with Kimbers - I don't feel they're passionate gun-guys, they seem to be all about cheaping-out/selling high and their workmanship is shoddy to my eyes - although some owners seem quite happy.

Colt, Dan Wesson, STI are all available around the sub-$1,000 mark and go up from there - *some* of the Sigs are pretty good, too, even though they don't conform to pure 1911 specs eg. the extractor. If I had to buy my first 1911 around the $1k mark, it would likely be a Springfield Loaded - if I wanted to spend close to the full $2k, probably a Springfield TRP, something to my specs from the Colt Custom Shop or a Les Baer.
Thanks. I'm not necessarily looking to spend a full $2K...just don't want to spend more than that. I have a Colt Commander I got when I was in high school that I carry on occasion....shot it for the CHL qualification in fact. My wife just keeps telling me I don't have enough guns.... "rlol" so I thought I might get another 1911. Something closer to $1K is probably better from that perspective....just in case my wife won't leave it alone and I have to go out and buy something else too. :smilelol5:
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

karder

Post by karder »

I have several Colts and a Kimber Crimson Carry but unfortunately no Springfield 1911s yet. Both my Colts and Kimber are very reliable and accurate and I carry the Kimber regularly. I have put a lot of rounds down the tube and have never experienced any of the Kimber horror stories that I see around the web, even during the break in period. I use Wilson Combat magazines primarily as well as some Chip McCormick and have no problems. In the past I would have occasional problems with my Colts when using cheap magazines, but since I wised up and started buying quality magazines, they run perfect. I think you will be very happy with either the Kimber, Colt or Springfield offerings, though there are other good options too.
:tiphat:

Edited to add:
The next 1911 I buy will probably be an STI. I have browsed them at my favorite gun store and I am impressed with the line up. While I would enjoy getting a high dollar custom 1911, but it is hard for me to justify with the wife!
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Excaliber »

anygunanywhere wrote:
AndyC wrote:
VMI77 wrote:

Both of my Kimbers were purchased used and I agree with your reasoning. The only 1911 I purchased new was my Springfield. If I were to buy a new carry 1911 I would look at STI or the higher end Springfields as you suggested.

That Dan Wesson is one nice pistol too.
I can vouch for both the STI's and the Dan Wessons. Both companies make awesome weapons designed to do the job to professional standards.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Excaliber »

karder wrote:I have several Colts and a Kimber Crimson Carry but unfortunately no Springfield 1911s yet. Both my Colts and Kimber are very reliable and accurate and I carry the Kimber regularly. I have put a lot of rounds down the tube and have never experienced any of the Kimber horror stories that I see around the web, even during the break in period. I use Wilson Combat magazines primarily as well as some Chip McCormick and have no problems. In the past I would have occasional problems with my Colts when using cheap magazines, but since I wised up and started buying quality magazines, they run perfect. I think you will be very happy with either the Kimber, Colt or Springfield offerings, though there are other good options too.

Edited to add:
The next 1911 I buy will probably be an STI. I have browsed them at my favorite gun store and I am impressed with the line up. While I would enjoy getting a high dollar custom 1911, but it is hard for me to justify with the wife!
You just need to explain that it's really for her so you can protect her properly.

It's all in how you talk to people...... :smilelol5:
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

jed

Post by jed »

Excaliber wrote:
karder wrote:I have several Colts and a Kimber Crimson Carry but unfortunately no Springfield 1911s yet. Both my Colts and Kimber are very reliable and accurate and I carry the Kimber regularly. I have put a lot of rounds down the tube and have never experienced any of the Kimber horror stories that I see around the web, even during the break in period. I use Wilson Combat magazines primarily as well as some Chip McCormick and have no problems. In the past I would have occasional problems with my Colts when using cheap magazines, but since I wised up and started buying quality magazines, they run perfect. I think you will be very happy with either the Kimber, Colt or Springfield offerings, though there are other good options too.

Edited to add:
You just need to explain that it's really for her so you can protect her properly.

It's all in how you talk to people...... :smilelol5:
My wife told me she wanted a 1911, so of course she got one. She's the first wife I have every seen that didn't object to buying another gun. This weekend I mentioned again how I wanted a Ruger SP101. She told me she didn't know what I was waiting for.

PSTL*PAKR

Post by PSTL*PAKR »

You recommend the Springfield....any others you'd recommend in the under $2,000 price range?[/quote]
I'd recommend a Sig Sauer... My 45's...Top shelf
Attachments
rps20160111_151521.jpg
Took class 8/11/12 -Applied online/finger prints/mailed 8/15/12-Received in Austin 8/17/12-Background under review 8/31/12-
Background complete/mfg. pending 10/09/12--MFG 10/10/12-MAILED 10/11/12--Received 10/18/12!!!

Bluegill

Post by Bluegill »

i got sour on Kimber years ago when I found out the 1600 dollar pistol I bought had a plastic mainspring housing and was cram full of MIM metal injection molded parts that had molding lines all over them. I bought a Les Baer and have been very happy since. buy a high end good one and you will have that pistol your whole life.

just go and rent different ones at the range and get a feel.

Im not worried about only 8 rounds, I've learned how to reload.

you want to make sure that it fits your hand. For example, when I hold a glock g4 .45 model 21, when I point my index finger along the frame my finger sits a lot higher than the trigger face, so that when I go to shoot I have to curl m y finger down at an angle and not perpendicular to the trigger face which causes my shots to always be left. I can eliminate the problem in slow fire but its there in any rapid fire situation. Ive tried to like glocks, but Im going back to tried and true..... my Les Baer chrome SRP with 1.5 inch guarantee at 50 yards.

i also have a tricked out SW 1911 E series 5 inch that I gutted and replaced with all high end tool steel parts and a Jarvis match barrel.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Pawpaw »

The Dan Wessons I mentioned are well under $2000.

Just a quick check at Bud's:

Guardian 9mm
Guardian .38 Super
Guardian .45 ACP

Stainless V-Bob
Black V-Bob
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

DevilDawg
Posts in topic: 6

Post by DevilDawg »

PawPaw

I want it on the record we can't be friends. I was all good with looking at lowly STI's until you posted a link that black v-bob. :drool:

I might have to cut the Internet off to keep me from ordering one of those. I just really like the thought of an All Texas 1911 over sending money to New York. The STI is still in the lead, plus about $500 or so less.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”