Question on Shipping a gun within the state of texas...

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

grumble
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Question on Shipping a gun within the state of texas...

Post by grumble »

Mike1951 wrote:Obvious answer is to also try Fedex and Lone Star Overnight, if they have a terminal near you.
Tried both of those. Just got off the phone with Lone Star Overnight's customer service dept. and they say NO consumer to consumer. Only consumer to licensee and licensee to consumer. Arrgh.
Who are my congressmen again? http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us

chabouk
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by chabouk »

Common carriers are required to have a published tariff, which lists exactly what they will and will not ship. They may not deviate from that published tariff and keep their common carrier status. Any customer has the right to demand to see their regulations, and to demand that they comply with those regulations.

grumble

Post by grumble »

chabouk wrote:Common carriers are required to have a published tariff, which lists exactly what they will and will not ship. They may not deviate from that published tariff and keep their common carrier status. Any customer has the right to demand to see their regulations, and to demand that they comply with those regulations.
LOL, yup - and all is said and good if you are a lawyer, and the counter person is a lawyer. Unfortunately, that is not the case. With UPS that tariff is NOT clear to the lay person. Gotta give the staff at the centers credit - they called the 1-800 # for clarification. Unfortunately, the customer service person could not understand their own shipping rules and regulations, and opted to err on the side of caution. I could have stood there all day and argued with the customer service people. It still wouldn't have gotten taken.

Yes, UPS is wrong, and they are supposed to take the shipment. But that doesn't mean they will. :banghead: :banghead:

I'm trying to get with my buyer to see if he can do FFL to FFL. It's going to cost me more, and he won't get it tomorrow.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 8

Re: Ship handgun to an individual - no go for me.

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

grumble wrote:Tried to send a handgun via UPS today to an individual in San Antonio. UPS would NOT take it. They refused. Told me it was against federal law (ha). Then they told me, ok it's not, but it's against OUR policy. I handed them the printout of THEIR policy. Guy says "read it however you want - I'm not putting MY job on the line and taking it" .. This was at the Dallas (Monroe) UPS Center. Drove over to DFW customer center, and they wouldn't take it either. Go figure. Now how am I going to get this to my buyer in San Antonio?
Field strip it and call it machine parts.

03Lightningrocks

One other thing. it will probably cost less using a local FFL as they can ship by USPS and save a ton of money. Use this guy it is only 10 bucks plus shipping if you have a CHL.
Tom Hart
Hart Sports
I'm in north Plano (near Independence & McDermott)
469-223-9391
thart@tx.rr.com

grumble

Post by grumble »

Ha, already called him earlier today. Just waiting to see if the buyer is willing to go FFL to FFL. I told him that I would pick up his FFL fee on top of everything else.

At this rate, I should keep the gun... I keep it up, I'm going to be owing myself money after i get it to the buyer.
:biggrinjester:

srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Post by srothstein »

Grumble,

You might be able to save a little by going through the FFL only on your end. Even UPS should take the FFl to consumer intra-state without too much trouble. USPS definitely will.
Steve Rothstein

grumble

Post by grumble »

srothstein wrote:Grumble,

You might be able to save a little by going through the FFL only on your end. Even UPS should take the FFl to consumer intra-state without too much trouble. USPS definitely will.
I asked Tom Hart if he would do exactly that. He said once it goes into his book, it's got to go to another FFL, period. I don't know. I'm going to lose a sale on this one - c'est la vie.

Mike1951
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Mike1951 »

An FFL is not required on your end, only on the buyer's.

Get a quote on (2) FFL transfers plus USPS and a quote on UPS or FEDEX from you to the buyer's FFL to see which is cheapest.

BTW, FEDEX has been known to allow 2 day shipping on handguns. It can't hurt to ask.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

03Lightningrocks

Mike1951 wrote:An FFL is not required on your end, only on the buyer's.

Get a quote on (2) FFL transfers plus USPS and a quote on UPS or FEDEX from you to the buyer's FFL to see which is cheapest.

BTW, FEDEX has been known to allow 2 day shipping on handguns. It can't hurt to ask.
I was under the impression that an FFL was not needed on either end if shipping within the state. I knew you could not ship USPS if it was a handgun, but the other two are suppose to allow it. This whole thing just ticks me off. I have had postal employees pull this crap on me when shipping rifles. They hear gun and turn into idiots.

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

03Lightningrocks wrote:
Mike1951 wrote:An FFL is not required on your end, only on the buyer's.

I was under the impression that an FFL was not needed on either end if shipping within the state. I knew you could not ship USPS if it was a handgun, but the other two are suppose to allow it. This whole thing just ticks me off. I have had postal employees pull this crap on me when shipping rifles. They hear gun and turn into idiots.
You are absolutely correct. But since he has already been denied by UPS, FEDEX, and Lone Star, I was suggesting that he compare prices of the two choices left to him.

I even checked Greyhound PackageXpress, but they won't accept firearms period.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

03Lightningrocks

A woman working at the USPS told me that shipping rifles was dangerous to her fellow employees. She told me she was simply trying to protect them from dangerous items in the mail. She read the postal regulations up until the part about not shipping firearms and stopped. I said read on and she said it didn't matter what else it said. I was at a loss for words, I told her she had to be the dumbest person I had ever met in my life. Yeah, I know I didn't "win" her over, but I really would not want morons of this caliber on our side anyway. Her co-worker told her she was wrong and needed to be quiet, he then mailed the package for me. I really don't understand how these employees are all working under such misunderstandings of the rules.

iflyabeech

Post by iflyabeech »

Ship to or from an FFL with Lone Star Overnight! We would love your business and we will save you money over the other options! I did try to get the FFL requirement removed but no le hace...

chabouk
Banned

Re: Ship handgun to an individual - no go for me.

Post by chabouk »

03Lightningrocks wrote:Field strip it and call it machine parts.
Did you omit a sarcasm smiley, or did you intend to advise committing a felony?

You can ship every part except the serial-numbered receiver, via any method you choose. If that receiver, which is legally "the firearm", is in the package, it doesn't matter if it's a complete functional gun or a totally stripped bare receiver: it's a firearm, and you have to abide by all laws and regulations for shipping firearms.

wheelgun1958

Post by wheelgun1958 »

Box it up and ship it. FedEx or UPS. I'm not sure about Lone Star Overnight. If an FFL handles it, don't they require a 2243?

:cheers2:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”