How many Magazines do you have?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
psijac
Posts in topic: 1

How many Magazines do you have?

Post by psijac »

I just bought 3 wilson combat mags for a total of 7. I only own one 1911. I kinda wanna get 5 more mags for my glock 17. I don't ever carry more than 1 spare mag, but having 7 total just seems like the right number. How many mags do you have per gun?
07/25/09 - CHL class completed
07/31/09 - Received Pin/Packet sent.
09/23/09 - Plastic in hand!!

b4aftr

Re: How many Magazines do you have?

Post by b4aftr »

3-5 each, 1911s more since they go to more than one firearm.

CaptKirk

Post by CaptKirk »

psijac wrote:I just bought 3 wilson combat mags for a total of 7. I only own one 1911. I kinda wanna get 5 more mags for my glock 17. I don't ever carry more than 1 spare mag, but having 7 total just seems like the right number. How many mags do you have per gun?
I only have two for my Glock 19 (my main pistol). I only carry two mags at any given time so I didn't really see the need in getting more for it. HOWEVER, it's never a bad idea to have extra. I mainly deal with rifles and they go in this order of mag count.

AR-15 - 8 mags (many more still in packaging until needed)
AK-47 - 6 mags
M14 - 6 1/2 mags

Each one has the same amount of mags I would carry on a plate carrier and chest rig/pack.

It all boils down to what you're comfortable carrying, and the task at hand. Do you need 6 mags on you while going to Starbucks for your Pumpkin Spice Latte? No. But I'd rather have too many than not enough.

Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Taypo »

3 for my 9mm, 6 for the 1911's

Rarely do I carry more than 1 spare on me, usually another in my bag.

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

consider adding a couple of quality 10 round magazines for the 1911. I've used, and trust both the Wilsons, and the Chip McCormick Power Mags. There may be others that are also reliable, but I only have experience with the above two.

5 (factory) hi-caps for the Glock is a good number
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote:consider adding a couple of quality 10 round magazines for the 1911. I've used, and trust both the Wilsons, and the Chip McCormick Power Mags. There may be others that are also reliable, but I only have experience with the above two.

5 (factory) hi-caps for the Glock is a good number
I use Chips, Wilsons and Kimber ProTacs but no 10 rounders. My Kimber is really picky (go figure LOL) and doesn't feed them right. The Springfield doesn't care but I make sure all my mag's are interchangeable.

cbunt1

Post by cbunt1 »

Somewhere in the 10 per platform range.

I probably have 40 1911 magazines, since I've been through the whole "purist" progression of using various original-type magazines through to the Wilson Combat magazines. I'm fully Wilson with my 1911's now once I timed my reloads--I actually shave 0.1-0.2 seconds by using the Wilson...not sure why, but the timer doesn't lie.

Basic logic behind my '10" count is this: Three for carry (one in, two spares), three for the range (to keep from swapping out ammo all the time). Add near-duplicates to the mix (Gen2 and Gen3 glocks for example--and sometimes I swap my carry) and 10 ends up being a nice round number.

I also like to load at the beginning of an IDPA match and not hit the ammo box again if I can.

I have been known to have more money tied up in magazines than the gun itself.
American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!

maverick2076

Post by maverick2076 »

5 various 1911 mags. I bought several different manufacturers to make sure I found one my 1911 likes. Apparently it likes all of them.
3 mags for my G19.
4 mags for my G26.
4 Glock 17 mags that I can carry as spares for either pistol or use in my Kel-tec Sub2K.
2 of the 33 round extended Glock mags for my Kel-tec.
Probably around 18-20 mags for my AR.
3 mags for my 10/22.
Only 1 mag for my Ruger Mk I. I need to get some more.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I have :
4 for my Ruger 95
4 for my Beretta 92
2 for my Beretta Storm subcompact.

The subcompact is my most carry,

I would like more cause I don't like loading mags at the range, but they are so expensive. I usually don't carry a spare with me, When I do its only one or 2.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

KHickam

Post by KHickam »

Not enough
"Be strong, be of good courage, God Bless America, Long live the Republic." SootchOO

GlassG19

Post by GlassG19 »

I have only 1 Gun- GLOCK 19- therefore I only have & use the GLOCK brand magazines, because I have heard to many stories that any other off brand magazines don't feed that great & are very cheap & aren't worth $.02.
8 TOTAL
4-15 round
4-33 round
& are planning on buying more, you can never have enough.
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"- George Washington

WinoVeritas

Post by WinoVeritas »

On average about 10 per pistol..........................and I have a lot of pistols. :lol:

Breny414

Post by Breny414 »

Magazines don't excite me enough to have too many, but it may be useful to have range mags, in addition to the ones with you carry ammo, so that you aren't having to load/unload your carry ammo.

However, can anyone tell me if there is a best-practice to rotate you magazines in order to relieve the spring tension on occasion?

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”