Which pocket do you carry your wallet in?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Which pocket do you carry your wallet in?

Post by The Annoyed Man »

jerry_r60 wrote:I'm right handed and have always carried my wallet in my right back pocket. I have also been carrying my holster on my right hip. Seeing some recent pictures made me remember a choice I made and thought I'd stick it out here for others.

I realized it might be a good idea to carry my wallet in the opposite side pocket from my holster. This accomplished two things. One, before OC, it prevented me from potentially raising up an over shirt and exposing when pulling out my wallet. The other reason was if I needed to pull out ID. I thought it would be a good idea to not have to reach right beside my gun to pull out my wallet. I know of course I can always tell an officer, "I'm going to reach for my wallet", but I decided it might be the safer thing and keep everyone a bit more comfortable if I just carry my wallet in my other pocket. So, after a lifetime, I'm trying to make a new habit.
I'm left-handed, dyed in the wool, and I have always carried my wallet in my right rear pocket. I can't remember ever doing it any other way for my entire life. It just always made sense, since whatever I needed to get out of my wallet would be easier to access and remove from the wallet using my left hand, so.... holding the wallet in my right hand...etc.

It is a happy accident that I never had to figure it out all over again when I started carrying a gun on my left hip.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

An interesting fact regarding pockets for men's pants/trousers for many years, there was only one hip pocket and it was on the left, since the majority of people are right handed (No offense TAM) this was based upon calvary pants to allow for their right hand to be free to access their sword and later their sidearm.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I'm left handed and carry my wallet in my left back pocket right near my gun. If ask by a cop for my ID I'll just tell him where it is and move slowly to get it. I've carried it there since I was a kid and I don't see me changing any time soon.

In my opinion communication is key.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Bruin98
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Bruin98 »

I went weak side front pocket when i started carrying. Adjusted very quickly.

I dont want a cop to worry about anything.

xd9sc

Post by xd9sc »

steveincowtown wrote:Throwdown or regular?

:biggrinjester:
Left rear former. Right front latter. :thumbs2:

BCGlocker

Post by BCGlocker »

Since I started carrying my G23 on my right hip, I moved the wallet to left side. I also carry my LTC and DL on my left front pocket in a separate ID wallet. I am considering carry a disposable second wallet on my right rare pocket, but I am concern if I ever have to throw it way I will show the holster.
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor
USCCA Certified Instructor
Range Master Certified Instructor

Smokey613

Post by Smokey613 »

Jusme wrote:I started carrying my wallet in my left pocket as a LEO (I'm a righty) they drilled it into us to always keep your gun hand free. I never changed back and now with my LTC it wasn't an issue. I also carry keys, pocket knife etc on the left side, just a habit for the past 25 years.
Same here. I switched to left back pocket in 1977 when I entered law enforcement and have been carrying it there ever since.
Texas LEO / TCOLE Firearms Instructor / LTC / Glock Armorer / NRA Endowment-Life Member

BigGuy

Post by BigGuy »

I’m right handed. My EDC is IWB at 3-0-clock but my BUG is in hip pocket. I initially moved my wallet to the left side and carried my BUG on the right side. However, I was on another forum where a couple of LEOs were debating the BUG issue. One of them made the point that what ever disabled your EDC in a fight might also disable your strong hand. He advocating carrying the BUG accessible to the weak hand. As my BUG is an LCP, I’m not taking a huge accuracy hit shooting weak hand.
Of course, if accuracy is a problem, putting lead down range could alleviate some of that.

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

I moved to a small bifold wallet about two years ago and carry it in my front right pocket under my knife (Emerson Commander lately). It accomplished a few things: it doesn't fall out of my pocket, it isn't likely to be stolen from me, and it doesn't pull my pants down. I have carried a Glock 26 for the last ten years which was the result of a discussion on this forum. Extra mag in the front left pocket. It works for me.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

mojo84 wrote:I'm left handed and carry my wallet in my left back pocket right near my gun. If ask by a cop for my ID I'll just tell him where it is and move slowly to get it. I've carried it there since I was a kid and I don't see me changing any time soon.

In my opinion communication is key.
Another possibility for both you and me, since it appears that the majority carry it in the left rear pocket..... If ever accosted by someone with intent to rob who demands my wallet, he'll expect me to go for my left pocket, right? Since the majority of the world is right handed and left-pocketed? So, instead of drawing my wallet, I draw my gun.

:mrgreen:

"Son, is this what you want to be doing when Jesus comes? Because he's coming for you any second now......." :smilelol5:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

:iagree: :smilelol5:
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

DocV

Post by DocV »

I believe it was our member, Oorah, who mentioned a Rogue Industries front pocket wallet. In any case, I carry one of those in my left front pocket. I find front pocket wallets to be more comfortable and more secure than a standard wallet.

striker55

Post by striker55 »

Rear left pocket unless I'm in a place with a lot of foot traffic, I'll move it to my front left pocket. Especially when visiting someplace like NYC.

thestudiokid

Post by thestudiokid »

My wallet goes in my front left pocket. Folding blade with a clip is in the R front. I do this for two reasons: 1) In the back pocket, it can exacerbate back problems, and 2) when I carried it in my back pocket years ago, I went to pull my wallet to pay for something at the mall and discovered my right rear pocket had been sliced with a razor. There was a 3" to 31/2" slice right across the sewn-on part. Some asshat in one of the crowded stores had been to tried to liberate it from me, but fortunately it stayed put.

Scary part is, I never felt a thing and don't have any idea where it happened.

tx mountaineer

Post by tx mountaineer »

Wallet and keys in left front pocket. Phone in left rear pocket.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”