Alien Gear Cloak Tuck: suggestions on breaking in?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
atx2a
Posts in topic: 2

Alien Gear Cloak Tuck: suggestions on breaking in?

Post by atx2a »

Apologies if this has been asked - I did a quick search and didn't see anything exactly...

I'm typically an OWB guy, but thought I'd give IWB a go via the Alien Gear Cloak Tuck. Came in the mail today. Any suggestions on breaking it in, or will the "just right" fit only come with time?
Austin, TX
Speak softly and have a helluva double tap.

darkmavis9
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Alien Gear Cloak Tuck: suggestions on breaking in?

Post by darkmavis9 »

For me it wasn't so much of breaking it in as it was getting used to the width of the holster. The neoprene and flexibility of the leather was pretty comfortable from day one. I love mine, good luck with yours! :tiphat:
Last edited by darkmavis9 on Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

I would suggest just wearing it. That'll break it in.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

Wearing it will break it in, however make sure you keep the hex wrench that it came with handy. As it forms, it will also loosen up & require snugging up the hex screws. I really didn't care much for the Alien Gear holster, and I tried it for several months before putting it away & going back to the Crossbreed. (That was with their original design; I think they've added a liner to the back of it, so you might have a better opinion of it than I did).

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

I had a cloak tuck 2.0, and never had a break in period like I did with my dm bullard leather holster. I haven't tried a new one with the spring steel insert, maybe that has changed how they feel.
NRA Benefactor Member

Wag2323

Post by Wag2323 »

I have a 3.0. I didn't do anything but wear it to break it in. The area around the clips will start to form to your body after a few time wearing it. The area with the gun and the insert will form a little curve.

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

Wag2323 wrote:I have a 3.0. I didn't do anything but wear it to break it in. The area around the clips will start to form to your body after a few time wearing it. The area with the gun and the insert will form a little curve.
:iagree:
Took me probably just 4-5 days (5-8 hours per day) to get to where it felt really good.
about the same time as my Crossbreed and CompTac holsters.
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

jimd1981

Post by jimd1981 »

I'm at about week 3 wearing an Alien Gear 3.0 w/a Glock 19, and it's super comfortable.
Definitely "molds" a bit to your waist after a few days.
I've adjusted the cant slightly more forward, and I've got the gun at about 4:30-5:00.
I've also had to tighten down the clips after a week, and adjust the grip of the shell on day one, but it's been mostly trouble-free.
Very comfortable holster, might just be my new favorite. :cool:
“I got a fever! And the only prescription… is more cowbell...or possibly range time.”
Now Carrying - H&K USP .45c

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

After a couple days wearing mine it felt great. Even better than my Crossbreed.

I added some blue loctite to the clip screws to keep them from loosening.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

safety1

Post by safety1 »

Just my opinion, I'd get another holster...Alien Gear isn't worth the break in time.
We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. ~ Ronald Reagan ~
NRA - Life Member

MAJOkie

Post by MAJOkie »

however make sure you keep the hex wrench that it came with handy. As it forms, it will also loosen up & require snugging up the hex screws.
As Mike S said, keep the hex wrench handy. I wasn't expecting the screws to loosen and had 2 of them fall out while I was breaking mine in... not fun. Now I know why they sent a card with extra screws and spacers along with the hex wrench with the holster.

Once broken in, and adding a dab of locktite to the screws to keep them from loosening again, it fits fine.

But because of the concerns with the screws, I have gravitated to wearing my Crossbreed more than the Alien Gear.

Topic author
atx2a
Posts in topic: 2

Post by atx2a »

So far I don't care for it...could just be my body type, or perhaps I need to get looser pants. It seems to be too big no matter where I put it on the clock. May get better over time. We'll see...
Austin, TX
Speak softly and have a helluva double tap.

PhilBob

Post by PhilBob »

I apologize if this is off topic, but can the Alien Gear holster be used to carry just in front of the hip, say at 2:30 or is this style only good for 3:00-5:00? New to LTC I am not sure if I am going to feel comfortable initially carrying "behind me". To carry just in front of my hip do I need an AIWB?

striker55

Post by striker55 »

I didn't need any break in, I think it's comfortable right from the first time I used it. After buying it I ordered a second one for my other cc. And within 30 days of the first order they gave me a reduced price.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

I have to have pant size up one notch and the belt out one notch to be comfortable. But mine is great. I've worn it while climbing around in the attic and while moving into and out of two houses over the last month. I forget it's there sometimes

No real break in for me, but I guess it has gotten more comfortable the more I wear it. I just wore it from the get go.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”