ammo on sale

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Mike1951
Posts in topic: 36

Post by Mike1951 »

The store in Baytown has never sold the Blazer Brass.

They still have only the WWB and Remington priced higher than a cat's back.

Maybe it's a regional thing.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

calvinbr
Posts in topic: 1

Post by calvinbr »

Mike1951,

That is true!!!!! What type of cat are you talking about? A lion????? lol lol lol.

Calvin
Rule one, Be Armed!
PROUD C.H.L. holder!!!!!!
PROUD NRA member
Guns have only two enemies; rust and politicians.

Seburiel
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Seburiel »

Oy, what about us wheelgunners?
anyone see any good deals on .357magJHP?

glockoneniner

Post by glockoneniner »

The Gun Store in Cedar Park has 200-count .223 Remington for $100.00. Not sure if that's a good price, but I figured I'd let yall know.

Mike1951
Posts in topic: 36

Post by Mike1951 »

Seburiel wrote:Oy, what about us wheelgunners?
anyone see any good deals on .357magJHP?
Almost! Federal is apparently discontinuing some of their 'Classic' line.

Natchez Shooters Supply has the Hi-Shok 158gr JSP on closeout.

It is a jacketed soft point rather than a JHP.

$13.40/50 OR $12.60 ea for 10+ boxes.

http://www.natchezss.com/ammo.cfm?conte ... dID=FA357A
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

NAK
Posts in topic: 2

Post by NAK »

WalMart in Ft Worth had 40 CCI Blazer Brass marked 11.8?.
When I asked the elderly lady stocking shelves she told me it would ring up $7.57 and it was not her job to change the tags.

I picked up all they had (12 boxes). She said there would probably be more Tuesday.

bwahahaha

Post by bwahahaha »

NAK wrote:WalMart in Ft Worth had 40 CCI Blazer Brass marked 11.8?.
When I asked the elderly lady stocking shelves she told me it would ring up $7.57 and it was not her job to change the tags.

I picked up all they had (12 boxes). She said there would probably be more Tuesday.
It's marked $7.57 in Austin, if you can find it. I picked up 2 boxes today, which was all they had. WWB was $21.88/100 in .40S&W, $15.72/100 in 9mm.

In a related note, the sporting goods guy at Wal-Mart told me there was a rumor that Wal-Mart was leaning towards stopping ammunition sales. He told me it sells well, but the "liberals" and "antis" were pushing to have it stopped. He was a gun guy himself and was not happy about it.

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

For at least a few days beginning this weekend, 9 and 40 UMC 500 pack at Bass Pro in Grapevine and Garland to be the same price - about $7.75 per 50. 9mm in Win. in 100 round value pack around $6.75 per 50.

Edited to add: I goofed! Brother pointed out that small print sez that .40 is $52 sumthin a box. "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is ... "
Last edited by Greybeard on Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Hoppes
Posts in topic: 5

Aguila Used to be at Cabelas

Post by Hoppes »

stevie_d_64 wrote:
Skiprr wrote:Quick question: anybody shot enough Aguila to give a thumbs up or down on quality?
Aguila is mue bueno! It works...

I just never see enough of it around... :headscratch

Where have you seen it???
I ordered a brick of 500 rounds of the Aguila .22 Hollow Points and some of it will not fire. So far, this has affected about 4 boxes out of 10. I ordered it from Cabelas. I am not sure they still have that brand. I just stick with CCI Mini-Mags or CCI Hyper Velicty .22s. It has never been in the moisture so I don't know why it is not firing unless it sat in a humid warehouse for a long time before Cabelas shipped it to me.

Hoppes
---
The best test of freedom is perhaps less in what we are free to do than in what we are free not to do. - Eric Hoffer
---

Hyunchback
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Aguila Used to be at Cabelas

Post by Hyunchback »

Hoppes wrote: I ordered a brick of 500 rounds of the Aguila .22 Hollow Points and some of it will not fire. So far, this has affected about 4 boxes out of 10. I ordered it from Cabelas. I am not sure they still have that brand. I just stick with CCI Mini-Mags or CCI Hyper Velicty .22s. It has never been in the moisture so I don't know why it is not firing unless it sat in a humid warehouse for a long time before Cabelas shipped it to me.

Hoppes
What sort of firearm is failing to make it go bang?

I think I encountered that problem in my CZ Kadet Kit which is why I now only feed it Mini Mags. I can't recall ever having problems firing Aguila out of a 10/22 or out of my Marlin bolt action.

One reason why I may encounter issues with the Kadet Kit is that I had the basic CZ pistol's action done by a gunsmith which included lightening the hammer spring.

The same hammer sometimes has to be hit twice or more against harder primers found on some otherwise reliable ammo.

Hyunchback

Gun Show deals? Retailers in bulk?

Post by Hyunchback »

I'm moving to Kerrville in a few days and wanted to ask about people's experiences with bulk ammo retailers. I tend to buy 500 to 1000 rounds at a time. More when it's .22 LR.

Buying it by the 50 pack is pretty cost prohibitive. The UMC 250 packs start looking economical.

Brands that I've used that are usually reliable include HSM reloads and Miwall new or reloads.

My local Sportsman's Warehouse carries the HSM reloads but they fly off the shelf fast because they are reliable and inexpensive. I had first found Miwall because they had a big table at the Crossroads gun show and sold bulk ammo that was descent.

I can order the Miwall but shipping can really eat into what one is saving by buying online.

I haven't yet made the initial investment in reloading equipment and knowledge but that seems to be where I'm going to go one day. Until then I'm still hoping to get ammo at relatively reasonable prices.

Hoppes
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Hoppes »

Hyunchback wrote:
Hoppes wrote: I ordered a brick of 500 rounds of the Aguila .22 Hollow Points and some of it will not fire. So far, this has affected about 4 boxes out of 10. I ordered it from Cabelas. I am not sure they still have that brand. I just stick with CCI Mini-Mags or CCI Hyper Velicty .22s. It has never been in the moisture so I don't know why it is not firing unless it sat in a humid warehouse for a long time before Cabelas shipped it to me.

Hoppes
What sort of firearm is failing to make it go bang?

I think I encountered that problem in my CZ Kadet Kit which is why I now only feed it Mini Mags. I can't recall ever having problems firing Aguila out of a 10/22 or out of my Marlin bolt action.

One reason why I may encounter issues with the Kadet Kit is that I had the basic CZ pistol's action done by a gunsmith which included lightening the hammer spring.

The same hammer sometimes has to be hit twice or more against harder primers found on some otherwise reliable ammo.
I've tried several different new and reliable guns - rifles and pistols and the ammo is not firing randomly. It is definitely the ammo and not several guns that do go bang with every other load I have fired. I am shooting up all that will fire and I think I'll carry the rest to the range for disposal.

Four guns so far so I think I've isolated it to the ammo and not four guns -two rifles and two pistols. By the way , the ammo has been tried in a Browning Buck Mark, Winchester and Remington rifles, and a Ruger revolver with the same results so far.

Hoppes
---
The best test of freedom is perhaps less in what we are free to do than in what we are free not to do. - Eric Hoffer
---

Isimanica
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Isimanica »

anyone use Sportsmansguide? I find that they have good deals on ammo at times. Oh and they 30-06 ammo they are selling right now in garand clips on the website is wrong. They have Greek ammo for sale labeled as Korean in 30 cal cans. Just thought I mention that while I was cruising the web tonight.

Hyunchback

Post by Hyunchback »

Hoppes wrote:
I've tried several different new and reliable guns - rifles and pistols and the ammo is not firing randomly. It is definitely the ammo and not several guns that do go bang with every other load I have fired. I am shooting up all that will fire and I think I'll carry the rest to the range for disposal.

Four guns so far so I think I've isolated it to the ammo and not four guns -two rifles and two pistols. By the way , the ammo has been tried in a Browning Buck Mark, Winchester and Remington rifles, and a Ruger revolver with the same results so far.

Hoppes
If you are seeing the same results independent of the firearm then I would have to agree.

Whether the brand's reliability has fallen or if it was the storage that made the difference I don't know.

That would require multiple lots of ammo, obtained from different sources.

Hyunchback

Post by Hyunchback »

Isimanica wrote:anyone use Sportsmansguide? I find that they have good deals on ammo at times. Oh and they 30-06 ammo they are selling right now in garand clips on the website is wrong. They have Greek ammo for sale labeled as Korean in 30 cal cans. Just thought I mention that while I was cruising the web tonight.
I've not ordered ammo through Sportsmansguide.

I did have occasion to compare two different makes of military surplus ammo, though. Photos showing 100 yard bench rest firing of Lake City vs. South African 7.62 x 51mm (.308) available on my blog post.

http://cztheday.blogspot.com/2007/03/fa ... sting.html

For plinking either would be acceptable, but the LC was clearly the better ammo through the rifle being used.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”