Show us your bolt guns

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 21

Show us your bolt guns

Post by The Annoyed Man »

People sometimes post questions about what kind of bolt gun/caliber to get, and declare that their intended usage is anything from "1,000 yard gun" to "brush gun", and anything in between. I thought it might be interesting to start a thread like the ones we've had going for years now for black guns and daily carry guns......sort of as a window-shopping list of what's out there to give people ideas and help them refine their searches.....or just to show off a bit.

I'll start......

Remington 700 VSF (Varmint, Synthetic, Fluted) in .308, left handed. They don't make these anymore, the last year of manufacture being 2007, which is when I bought this one. This is a 700 BDL in a H-S Precision varmint profile stock, with a 26" 1:10 heavy profile fluted barrel, and topped with a SWFA SS HD 5-20x50mm MRAD FFP scope. This model is essentially a Sendero, but in a short action, and with a chrome moly action and barrel instead of the stainless action and barrel of the Sendero, and using the same stock as the Sendero, with a full-length aluminum bedding block. I have added a Timney trigger and set it to 2.25 lbs. I'm working on adding some DBM bottom metal to it soon. This is the rifle I used earlier this week to nail a piece of clay pigeon on the 800 yard berm at ETTS. With the right ammo it is a tack-driver:

Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308, left-handed. Nothing special about this one except for the addition of a Leupold 1.5-5x33mm VX-R Scout Scope. I really like the light weight and handiness of this rifle, and appreciate the detachable box magazine system, but in the end, the scout scope isn't really working for me. So I am going to replace the stock rail with a longer one from XS Sight Systems and pick up a Vortex 2.5-10x32 MRAD FFP scope and mount it in the traditional rear position.

Now let's see what the rest of you've got by way of bolt guns.
Last edited by The Annoyed Man on Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Jusme
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Show us your bolt guns

Post by Jusme »

Great post TAM, I'll get pics this weekend and try to post them when I get time. I'm anxious to see other's bolt guns also. :thumbs2:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

AndyC wrote:Oh ok, I suppose I'll have to show off:

Re-arsenalled 1942 Izhevsk 91/30 Mosin in 7.62x54R - right-handed. Nothing special about this one except it's mine. I really like the heavy weight and club-worthiness of this rifle, and appreciate the fact that I can paddle across the Volga with it and stab someone in the eye 20 yards away, but in the end, I'd like to see how accurate I can make this. So I was thinking of replacing the stock with more modern furniture and mount a picatinny rail on the action for optics (modified TAM's statement above just for grins).
Cripes! I forgot to post my 91/30! :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

winters
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by winters »

gun1.jpg
Front: Savage 10 precision, 223, leupold scope

Back: Remington 700 aac-sd, Vortex scope, .308, AAC SDN-6 suppressor

Both shoot 100 yards easy.

I guess you have to click on the pic to make it bigger.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

winters wrote:...

Was that supposed to be "1000 yards"? For 34 years I was deadly out to 250m with iron sights. Don't have that job any more. :lol::
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

winters
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by winters »

oljames3 wrote:
winters wrote:...

Was that supposed to be "1000 yards"? For 34 years I was deadly out to 250m with iron sights. Don't have that job any more. :lol::
unfortunately i haven't been to a range over 100 yards. i know 308 should be good for 1000 yards though. That rifle really needs a much better stock before attempting such feats.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Re-arsenalled 1942 Izhevsk 91/30 Mosin in 7.62x54R - right-handed. Nothing special about this one except it's mine. I really like the heavy weight and club-worthiness of this rifle, and appreciate the fact that I can paddle across the Volga with it and stab someone in the eye 20 yards away, but in the end, I'd like to see how accurate I can make this. So I was thinking of replacing the stock with more modern furniture and mount a picatinny rail on the action for optics (modified TAM's statement above just for grins).
Not to mention it's a great flame thrower, if I remember from one of the skeet shoot get togethers.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

puma guy wrote:

Not to mention it's a great flame thrower, if I remember from one of the skeet shoot get togethers.
And it makes a dandy pole vault for river crossings.

AndyC, this is for you:

#TINVOWOOT

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Bitter Clinger »

REMINGTON MODEL 700 SPS TACTICAL AAC-SD

.308 Win, 20” Heavy Barrel with 5/8-24 threaded muzzle (showing Lantac Dragon Muzzle Brake), 1 in 10” Rate of Twist, Hogue® Overmolded Ghillie Green™ pillar-bedded stock, X-Mark Pro® externally adjustable trigger system factory set at 3½ lbs. and adjustable to 2½ lbs.

Explore Optics 6-24X50mm, 30mm Tube Scope, MOA reticle

Have shot out to 500 yds 3X, farther out once, found that the 20" bbl has its limitations.

Am now mounting glass on a Ruger 6.5 Creedmoor, with some excellent recommendations on scope & rings from Beiruty.
Last edited by Bitter Clinger on Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Beiruty »

Presenting my trusted Precision Shooting Rifle, the politically correct term for mean-spirited Sniper Rifle.

Steyr Mannlicher SSG04 in 300WM caliber. One of the best factory PSR rifle you can buy. It is in the same class of Sako TRG, SIG SSG3000, and Remington M2010. It comes factory as shown, and I just added a slip-on limbsaver. It shoots as soft as 308 rifle but the limbsaver makes it like a dream to shoot. It has a unique 24.64" 1:10 forged and hammered barrel.

Rifle is topped with a IOR Valdada 5.8-40x56 40mm Crusader Tactical FFP MOA . The scope has the MP-8 Xterme X1 MOA illuminated reticle.
The scope has unique 40mm body and German Optics. It is assembled in IOR Romania. The only mounting rings available are those provided from IOR-Valdada. Make sure to get the beefy ones, part of any acquisition deal.

The rifle is certified from factory to shoot 0.8MOA or better. Best group is 3 rds in the same hole. Measure 0.3" or less at 100yrds.

Last 500 yards, LR shooting at Top Gun Range I was able to slap this 4" target 3 times out of 4 in a row (H,H,M,H).
Last edited by Beiruty on Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Beiruty wrote:
Last LR shooting at Top Gun Range I was able to slap this 4" target 3 times out of 4 in a row (H,H,M,H).
You forgot to mention that you nailed that 4" target at 500 yards!!!!!
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

Bitter Clinger wrote:
Beiruty wrote:
Last LR shooting at Top Gun Range I was able to slap this 4" target 3 times out of 4 in a row (H,H,M,H).
You forgot to mention that you nailed that 4" target at 500 yards!!!!!
I know the feeling. I hit a half of a clay pigeon on the 800 yard berm on Tuesday. There's no feeling like it.

#TINVOWOOT

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Beiruty »

Here is my hunting rifle, Tikka T3 SS lite in 30-06. It was my first bolt action rifle. I love this hunting rifle, accurate super light and powerful. First mod, was Limbsaver as it was thumbing and bruising like crazry. Now with added Clamp-on Muzzle Brake, it is a docile as 6.5CM. That Limbsaver domut behind the muzzle brake is a de-resonator, that would attunnate barrel vibrations while shooting.
Ah, how lovely, that plastic end-of the bolt handle goes for $50 from super luxurious Beretta. :grumble :grumble And, please do not ask me how much that 5rds plastic magazine does cost. :bigmouth :bigmouth

The scope is a Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5-34x50mm with DOA 600 reticle. It is a 2nd FP scope but at a $720 it is the best optics you can have. The scope rings are 2-pieces Talley base mount that is bolted to the receiver.

The rifle is a sub-moa rifle. Here is my best group till date.
Last edited by Beiruty on Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”