Receiving a gun after repair

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
bear94
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Receiving a gun after repair

Post by bear94 »

The few warranty claims I have filed always sent it back to my house.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Since there is no transfer of ownership, there should be no reason to send it to a FFL. It should come back to whatever address you provided.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

ELB

Post by ELB »

It feels odd, but yes they should ship it directly back to you.
USAF 1982-2005

FastCarry

Post by FastCarry »

My SW is being overnighted back to my house. If the serial number and address do not change, wont be an FFL required. IF they replace your gun instead of repair, will need an FFL.

dhoobler
Posts in topic: 3

Post by dhoobler »

Delivery requires an adult signature, meaning you must be there when it shows up at your door.

If it comes by FedEx, you can use the tracking number to have it held at a local FedEx store where you can pick it up at your convenience.
Revolver - An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Life Member

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

As long as the serial number remains the same, they can return it to you directly.
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

TexasSully

Post by TexasSully »

dhoobler wrote:Delivery requires an adult signature, meaning you must be there when it shows up at your door.

If it comes by FedEx, you can use the tracking number to have it held at a local FedEx store where you can pick it up at your convenience.
FedEx has no problem taking the money to ship it, but better disarm before you go into their location to pick it up :mad5

Right2Carry
Banned

Post by Right2Carry »

I am sending my Ruger Red Label in as I had two vent rib posts come loose and start moving. Called Ruger and received an RMA number for warranty work. Ruger arranged for UPS to pick up my shotgun at my home, can't beat that. They estimate 2 week turn around time which sucks because I shoot club matches every Saturday. They did tell me they would ship back to me at home address.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

jsenner
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jsenner »

FastCarry wrote:IF they replace your gun instead of repair, will need an FFL.
Not true. A gunsmith or manufacturer can return a replacement firearm with a different serial number to you without a 4473 and NICS check.

Anything you send back to the factory can come directly back to you no matter what comes back. If the manufacturer or smith is requiring an FFL transfer to return it, they're either being overly cautious or they're getting a kickback from the transfer :)

FCH

Post by FCH »

dhoobler wrote:Delivery requires an adult signature, meaning you must be there when it shows up at your door.

Just had my wife's Sig Sauer repaired by the factory. Sig's instructions said that it would be returned by FedEx to our home address and required an adult signature. Sig cautioned that it could NOT be held by FedEx and if undeliverable, would be returned to Sig. Sig went on to explain that if returned by FedEx, it could only be re-shipped to an FFL. Fortunately, we were home to sign for the package.
NRA Member
TSRA Member

rotor

Post by rotor »

jsenner wrote:
FastCarry wrote:IF they replace your gun instead of repair, will need an FFL.
Not true. A gunsmith or manufacturer can return a replacement firearm with a different serial number to you without a 4473 and NICS check.

Anything you send back to the factory can come directly back to you no matter what comes back. If the manufacturer or smith is requiring an FFL transfer to return it, they're either being overly cautious or they're getting a kickback from the transfer :)
Taurus replaced my gun with a new gun, shipped to FFL which required a FFL fee and Taurus reimbursed me. Because it was a new gun with a new serial number had to do all the paperwork. Ruger repaired a rifle and shipped the repaired same rifle directly to my home.

dhoobler
Posts in topic: 3

Post by dhoobler »

FCH wrote:

Just had my wife's Sig Sauer repaired by the factory. Sig's instructions said that it would be returned by FedEx to our home address and required an adult signature. Sig cautioned that it could NOT be held by FedEx and if undeliverable, would be returned to Sig. Sig went on to explain that if returned by FedEx, it could only be re-shipped to an FFL. Fortunately, we were home to sign for the package.
I have had two S&W's held by FedEx.
Revolver - An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Life Member

jsenner

Post by jsenner »

rotor wrote: Taurus replaced my gun with a new gun, shipped to FFL which required a FFL fee and Taurus reimbursed me. Because it was a new gun with a new serial number had to do all the paperwork. Ruger repaired a rifle and shipped the repaired same rifle directly to my home.
still not true, no matter how many anecdotes show up :) There's no law requiring paperwork in that case.

27 CFR 478.124(a) states that a 4473 is not required when returning to the same person either a repaired firearm or a replacement firearm. sending a changed serial back through an FFL is not required by law. Doesn't mean they won't force you to do it, things being what they are these days.

Good on Taurus for reimbursing you!

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

it's pretty simple. had a Ruger needing repair, they provided shipping label, I took it to Fedex. Ruger shipped shipped back to my door step. Just shipped my Remington shotgun back, they provided shipping label and had UPS pick it up. Waiting for the return to my porch.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

When a manufacturer receives a firearm for repair it must be shipped back to the return address on the package it was shipped in. They may assume the return address on the shipping package is the same as the address that you gave them, and not check it, but that is their risk to take.

When shipping a replacement firearm they can, at their own discretion, ship the new firearm to you or require that you receive it through an FFL.

It does not matter if the manufacturer that is receiving the firearm is the original manufacturer or not, as long as their FFL is for a manufacturer they can receive, repair, and return your firearm to you.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”