baggage gun on airlines

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Pilgrim
Posts in topic: 1

baggage gun on airlines

Post by Pilgrim »

I don't know if this is of help or not but thought maybe helpful to someone.
http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2016/05/1 ... ntcmp=hpff

ELB
Posts in topic: 3

Re: baggage gun on airlines

Post by ELB »

Interesting. The article makes the following statement, apparently based on information from "TSA spokesman Mark Howell's presentation at Akron-Canton Airport ".
The case has to have a TSA approved lock (which can be opened by a TSA agent).
The Fox News article has a link to a local news article about the same event, and it repeats essentially the same thing:
The traveler then needs to fully lock the case with TSA-approved locks that can be opened by TSA agents ...
http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2016/05/1 ... ntcmp=hpff

Here is a direct quote from the email that the TSA Contact Center sent me on 22 Mar 16 when I emailed them asking if TSA locks can be used to lock a hard-sided case containing a firearm intended for checked baggage:
Travelers may use any kind or type of lock for securing firearm cases, including
TSA-recognized locks. However, TSA does not recommend or endorse any specific brand or type of lock to use on firearm containers.
USAF 1982-2005

ELB

Post by ELB »

Schleprock wrote: ...
I understood correct procedure was to lock the hard case with a NON-TSA approved lock and place it in an outer baggage to be checked with a TSA lock. .
It is not an error that you can use TSA locks for the gun case; it might be an error that you have to use TSA locks.

The language about using a lock that only the traveler has a key or combo to disappeared from the airline and TSA websites several years ago. There is still language in the CFR to that effect, but there is also new language at the beginning of that section of code that basically says nothing in the section prevents the TSA from conducting its inspection programs, and that may very well be the bus that TSA locks for gun cases rode in on. There may be something written somewhere else as well, the CFR is a behemoth.

I never did think the locks on gun cases or luggage bought much security, they basically just keep the bag or case from falling open during rough handling. Your security is keeping your gun stuff low profile among the enormous volume of baggage going through the airport. And luck.
USAF 1982-2005

ELB

Post by ELB »

And I get a giggle out of this from the Akron news article:
Using an actual 8-millimeter handgun without ammunition, he went on to show how to unload the magazine and pack it in the case.
Not your run of the mill pistol.

Also, the accompanying picture shows a gun that is completely orange -- looks like a non-firing training replica to me.
USAF 1982-2005

Steve

Post by Steve »

Wow I would never lock my firearm with a cheap TSA lock. I've always used a traditional padlock with my pelican case. I've been asked a handful of times to open cases so TSA could check it. I've also been asked once or twice by the ticketing agent to prove it was unloaded while I was at the ticket counter. I would have to remove the gun while at the counter and demonstrate it was unloaded, that's a sure fire way to get weird looks.

If your entire luggage is a hard side container. Like a metal case, that can count as the hard sided container. There were a few youtube videos online and websites about packing for the friendly sky, I need to find them again. Some airlines are not gun friendly, others don't mind, and some count them as an additional checked bag.

android

Post by android »

ELB wrote:And I get a giggle out of this from the Akron news article:
Using an actual 8-millimeter handgun without ammunition, he went on to show how to unload the magazine and pack it in the case.
Oh, great. Now we're going to have arguments about which is better, 8mm or .43?

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”