"Big & Tall" gun belt discussion.

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Roeville
Posts in topic: 2

"Big & Tall" gun belt discussion.

Post by Roeville »

New to LTC and still in need of some equipment.

My LTC instructor highly suggested we use a gun belt when we carry because regular belts just aren't made for toting a gun.

With that said I'm a bigger guy waist size 48-50 and I'm looking for some suggestions. What works well but without sacrificing comfort. There are just sooooo many options available I'm not quite sure where to begin.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Re: "Big & Tall" gun belt discussion.

Post by Pawpaw »

Your instructor gave you not just good, but essential advice. A good, stiff gunbelt will be more comfortable simply because you don't have to cinch it down so tight. Pulling a belt too tight is almost always an effort to make up for a flimsy belt.

TAM recently found this beltmaker with attractive prices: http://www.hanksbelts.com/collections/g ... carry-belt

Be sure to follow their sizing chart. You will need a slightly larger belt than you think. :tiphat:

For the record, I'm bigger around than you are. ;-)
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I wear the tuff products 1.5" ranger belt with the cobra buckle. Best belt I have ever worn and it holds your gun up so well there is no adjusting your pants. People say SOE is the gold standard but I personally like the tuff products the best. If you want something as soon as you order don't order from SOE they take weeks to months. I have tried both. It's made in USA and great warrantee. Already has keepers built into it if that is something you need. they make one that will fit you. I wear the medium I believe which is sizes 34 all the way to 40. So the large should be plenty for you. 60 dollars is what I got mine at on LA police gear. Normally you find them for 75. But I have used it extensively and it's great. Feeds through normal belt loops without a problem.

jimd1981

Post by jimd1981 »

Pawpaw wrote: TAM recently found this beltmaker with attractive prices: http://www.hanksbelts.com/collections/g ... carry-belt

Be sure to follow their sizing chart. You will need a slightly larger belt than you think. :tiphat:
:iagree:
Hank's belts are very, very nice. I have the harness leather belt, and it will definitely outlast me :)
“I got a fever! And the only prescription… is more cowbell...or possibly range time.”
Now Carrying - H&K USP .45c

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

AG Custom Gun Leather is a good one as well. I have one of the horsehide belts with internal stiffener. Works great, and I'm about the same size as you.
NRA Benefactor Member

ranberndt

Post by ranberndt »

Topic author
Roeville

Post by Roeville »

Thanks gents, appreciate the info. I will look into all suggestions.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

http://www.thebeltman.net/www/htdocs/index.html

Very popular and I've never heard anything negative about them.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Roeville wrote:Thanks gents, appreciate the info. I will look into all suggestions.
No problem! That's what this forum is for. Good luck on your quest to find a good belt. There are a ton out there! One thing I have learned is that a good holster is a must have but a good belt to hold it up is vital

JerryK

Post by JerryK »

There are a lot of good belts out there and remember when ordering and some claim to have thick belts, it has to go through your holster. I ordered an 18 oz belt that was claimed to be .281" thick and it is a vary nice and sturdy belt I have a lot of holsters that it wont fit. Rather than exchanging it I ordered a second 14 oz because of this problem. Check your holsters and use that as a determining factor on what will fit.

Bigfoot belts claimed to be .281" thick and that is exactly what I got.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”