AR uppers buy or build

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Sidro
Posts in topic: 4

AR uppers buy or build

Post by Sidro »

Bought an Adcor lower, lpk, buffer tube and stock at a decent price. Would like to mount a 16"bbl .300 blackout upper with 13" or 15" slimline handguard on it. Can I beat $390 price shipped for built upper by building it myself? Anyone have suggestions or advice they can share?

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 1

Re: AR uppers buy or build

Post by twomillenium »

If you want to go cheap you can. Building the AR platform is more about the build and the journey. If you just want to get to the destination, then just go to the Academy and buy off the shelves.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

txcharvel

Post by txcharvel »

While I've had an AR for years I've just recently built an AR pistol and I'm in the process of doing my first 80% build. From what I can tell, if you're happy with the barrel, the other expensive item is the hand guard. When looking at pre-built vs. build your own uppers, I usually subtract the cost of the hand guard to give me a clear idea on the build price. This let's you compare apples to apples when looking at different vendors.

I found a really good deal on an 18" barreled upper but it has a quad rail. Another vendor has a similar upper but with a key mod I want. Specs are similar except for the hand guard, which is a $50 difference. If I built the same upper, there is no way I could buy the key mod hand guard for $50.

There is a lot to look at out there. Just when you think you've found what you want, you see something else. Take your time, make some notes, and be happy with what you end up buying.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 5

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Sidro wrote:Bought an Adcor lower, lpk, buffer tube and stock at a decent price. Would like to mount a 16"bbl .300 blackout upper with 13" or 15" slimline handguard on it. Can I beat $390 price shipped for built upper by building it myself? Anyone have suggestions or advice they can share?
There's two factors at work. One is, you save on the labor if you build your own. The other is that vendors of pre-built uppers can take advantage of economies of scale. In other words, whatever barrel you like, they buy them 20 at a time, so they get a better price than you can. Ditto with handguards.

I enjoy building my own, and I don't like to use anything but the best parts, so on the last two builds I did — a 16" 5.56 carbine using matching Spikes Tactical Gen II Billet receiver halves and a Rainier Arms Select Medcon barrel; and a second upper for that rifle using the same upper, with a 10.5" .300 Blackout Rainier Arms Select Medcon barrel — I saved on the labor, but they were easily far and away the most money I've ever spent on any firearm. But they are worth it........to me. Rainier guarantees sub-MOA on these barrels with match ammo.

As far as the handguard goes, I really like the Bravo Company KMR Alpha rail I put on the SBR upper. It's a keymod system, and it is quite easily a much smaller diameter than the keymod Samson Evo handguard I put on the 16" upper. If I had it to do all over again, I'd put the KMR on the 16" upper too.

But that said, if you just want to get to shooting, and you're not that interested in building, there are a lot of .300 Blackout uppers out that that match your requirements. And if you don't like the handguard that's on it, you can always change/upgrade down the road.

BCM also sells full upper receiver groups in .300 Blackout, using that KMR rail: http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Uppe ... -s/207.htm. They are nowhere near cheap, but you'll be getting something that's pretty darn good........and they'll be a LOT cheaper than a complete upper from Rainier Arms.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Sidro

Post by Sidro »

Thanks for the info guys. I am in no hurry to finish this up so I have some time to look around. This is my first stripped lower so I will be taking my time.

Wag2323

Post by Wag2323 »

I just built an AR. I had plans to build it all but in the end pricing the parts to make what I wanted compared to buying a complete spikes tactical upper and changing the hand guard was the better route this time.

I bought a spikes lower and built it up with an LPK no trigger. I put in an ALG ACT trigger and a spikes buffer tube. When it came to the upper it was better just to buy the spikes 16" mid length upper than build it myself.

Then I changed some parts to make it lefty accessible.

The Annoyed Man

Wag2323 wrote:Then I changed some parts to make it lefty accessible.
FWIW, the Spikes Gen II Billet lower comes with fully ambidextrous controls (bolt release, safety, and mag release) and anti-walk pins, and no trigger. I dropped a Timney 3.5 lb Match trigger in mine.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

Wag2323

Post by Wag2323 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
FWIW, the Spikes Gen II Billet lower comes with fully ambidextrous controls and anti-walk pins, and no trigger. I dropped a Timney 3.5 lb Match trigger in mine.
I'll keep that in mind for the next build. Thanks

The Annoyed Man

Wag2323 wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
FWIW, the Spikes Gen II Billet lower comes with fully ambidextrous controls and anti-walk pins, and no trigger. I dropped a Timney 3.5 lb Match trigger in mine.
I'll keep that in mind for the next build. Thanks
That particular lower is NOT cheap though......... $450.00! But well worth it. It is the nicest lower I've ever seen.

#TINVOWOOT

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

I'm a build it over buy it in almost any circumstance, that said I get much more satisfaction out of something I put together myself. I also really enjoy putting things together; used to enjoy legos but guns are MUCH more fun :)

Edit: as stated before there are definitely uppers to be had for less than you can build due to economies of scale.

Wag2323

Post by Wag2323 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: That particular lower is NOT cheap though......... $450.00! But well worth it. It is the nicest lower I've ever seen.

Yea I didn't notice that one when I was looking at uppers but unlikely I would have went that route for this first one. I never owned an AR or build one so starting with a billet upper would have really upped the cost of my first try.

The Annoyed Man

Wag2323 wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote: That particular lower is NOT cheap though......... $450.00! But well worth it. It is the nicest lower I've ever seen.
Yea I didn't notice that one when I was looking at uppers but unlikely I would have went that route for this first one. I never owned an AR or build one so starting with a billet upper would have really upped the cost of my first try.
I built my first 2 or 3 using inexpensive forged uppers and they work just fine. I installed ambidextrous safety selector switches, but I found the original bolt release to actually work well for a left hander, and got accustomed to using my right hand to push the mag release button. Even now, after having owned a fully ambidextrous lower for a while, I still sometimes use the right handed controls out of habit.

The one thing I've never owned is a left handed upper that ejects out the left side of the receiver. As a left myself, I'm sure they are moderately more pleasant to shoot (especially suppressed because of gases wafting back into your nose), but they also violate the principle of commonality of parts. I would think that they'd also require a lefty bolt/carrier group. AR shooters in my extended family besides myself include my wife, son, daughter in law, son's father in law, and his 2 brothers in law. Each owns at least one AR. We all take a long term view of prepping, and I've laid in a small supply of common parts like spare bolts, bolt rebuild kits, spring kits, barrel nuts, stuff like that; and from that perspective, it doesn't make sense to buy lefty specific parts since I'm the only one who shoots left handed.

#TINVOWOOT

Wag2323

Post by Wag2323 »

I am like you I have no problems using my left hand for releasing the bolt. The rifle has an ambi safety and charging handle right now. As a lefty we just learn to live in the right handed world. I use most power tools as a right handed person would. With pistols I drop mags with my left hand since not every pistol is going to have reversible or ambi releases.

I am pretty hesitant to have an upper that is opposite of the norm. I few older guys I used to hunt with that are left handed used to have left handed shotguns and always said they had nothing but problems with them. I know that things change but still something I think about with buying left handed things. I never investigated it myself I just use the right handed stuff but I do have a left handed bolt action rifle (I figure everything moves slow enough there).

I even play guitar right handed.

Kenneth77

Post by Kenneth77 »

This is just my thought ...... If you are going to do more in the future then it would be a lot cheaper the next one because you will have all the tools to do the job but if you just want on then i'd just buy a 200-300 $ one and call it good .
leeproductsonline.com

Topic author
Sidro

Post by Sidro »

Gun is finished except for scope and low-pro 45 degree flip up sights and is really a neat lightweight package.

The lower is built with a nickel-boron trigger and mft minimal stock. The lpk came from Toms Tactical. Priced all the parts and after tallying up the cost it was cheaper to buy the upper already built.

16" ss 300 blackout bbl m4 contour with low pro gas block, ss comp and 15" keymod ultra slim free float hand guard. Extended aluminum tac latch and the upper receiver is forged 7076-T6 aluminum(m4 ramps) and AR-15/M16 Nitride Bolt Carrier Group. The cost for the upper shipped was $460 from Sanders Armory.

Would post picture but I ain't smart enough, maybe will be able to when son comes home in near future.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”