Shots fired, LEO at the door, what do you do?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
FCH
Posts in topic: 1

Shots fired, LEO at the door, what do you do?

Post by FCH »

I guess when you are older and have nothing else to do, you run these scenarios through your head.

A friend that lives in an apartment complex recently reported there were several shots fired. She stayed inside and didn't look for trouble but did not notice any police activity. This got me to thinking.

Shots have been fired in my neighborhood. Usually 2-4. It happens about every six months. I think it is someone just trying out their gun, not a quarrel or anything violence related. The police have never showed up. Likely, they were never called. But if the police did come out, would the police go door to door looking for something suspicious?

If a policeman knocked on my door, I know I don't have to let him/her in but I have absolutely nothing to hide. What can or should I do?
NRA Member
TSRA Member

loscar141

Re: Shots fired, LEO at the door, what do you do?

Post by loscar141 »

That exact incident happened to me. The police knocked on my door and ask me to open up. My exact words were "no thank you, I'm not opening the door." There response was they were investigating shots fired, and asked if I heard anything. I told them that "no I just woke up when you knock" They said thank you and left. I then seen siren lights turn on from my sliding glass door so I went outside to my patio to be nosy, but didn't talk to the police again

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

You don't have to open the door but if you have any info then pass it along. They are not there to stomp on your rights, they are just responding to a call for service and looking for anyone who knows anything to help the investigation. I will usually go out of my way to help someoneand to be respectful as I believe that is what the Lord calls for.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

mbschne

Post by mbschne »

nightmare69 wrote:You don't have to open the door but if you have any info then pass it along. They are not there to stomp on your rights, they are just responding to a call for service and looking for anyone who knows anything to help the investigation. I will usually go out of my way to help someoneand to be respectful as I believe that is what the Lord calls for.
:iagree: Why make their job any harder than it already is. If I can help, I will.

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

The "open up" command would immediately turn me into a resister. Do they really say that?
III

earlwb

Post by earlwb »

I think it would depend on the situation. But it could be a well being check. They can't come in without a warrant unless you invite them though. I would first ascertain if they really are the police, before anything else. If they seem legit, then I would likely open the door and carry on a conversation with them. I have nothing illegal inside my home so there isn't anything for them to see inside anyway. But I do know that other people likely have drug paraphernalia laying about in plain sight or other illegal things out in the open. So they might have issues opening their door to the police. Some apartment complexes have a lot of shady stuff going on within them too.

pushpullpete

Post by pushpullpete »

I open the door and do what I can to help. I was raised, as were my children & now the grandchildren, according to
"The Golden Rule" and try to live that everyday.
I have a pretty good view of my front porch before I check the peep site along with a bright porch light. I put on my pistol
first thing in the morning and take it off last thing at night. If I have to get out of bed in the middle of the night it has
become habit over time to pick it up & take it with even :roll: just to pee. Some would say paranoia but I believe that
this is where we as a civilization are. Hopefully we can turn things around & head in a better direction.
Common courtesy is no longer so common as it used to be and excuses for bad behavior are very, very common.

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

rbwhatever1 wrote:The "open up" command would immediately turn me into a resister. Do they really say that?
:iagree: Asking politely would have a different outcome.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I was told by a LEO friend of mine to never unlock your door and to speak to them thru the locked door. He said if the door is unlocked, they can legally open the door and come in. May be urban myth.....I don't know.....just what I was told.

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

Gunfire in the neighborhood? Probably three nights a week here, usually about the time the feral hogs start milling around after the heat of the day.

Ah, life in the country, the singing of the evening crickets, the gentle hoot of owls, and freedom's report in the distance. :mrgreen:

Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

WTR wrote:I was told by a LEO friend of mine to never unlock your door and to speak to them thru the locked door. He said if the door is unlocked, they can legally open the door and come in. May be urban myth.....I don't know.....just what I was told.
From what I understand they have to either have a warrant, or have sufficient probable cause to believe a crime is being committed within your house to enter it without your effective consent.

Bryanmc

Post by Bryanmc »

WTR wrote:I was told by a LEO friend of mine to never unlock your door and to speak to them thru the locked door. He said if the door is unlocked, they can legally open the door and come in. May be urban myth.....I don't know.....just what I was told.
There are a couple exceptions allowing entry without a warrant or consent, but an unlocked door is not one of them. :roll:

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Sounds like a good reason to have an intercom and possibly camera at the door.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

nightmare69 wrote:You don't have to open the door but if you have any info then pass it along. They are not there to stomp on your rights, they are just responding to a call for service and looking for anyone who knows anything to help the investigation. I will usually go out of my way to help someoneand to be respectful as I believe that is what the Lord calls for.
He was helping LE by letting them know that it would be a waste of their time to investigate at that address.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

I have no problem opening my door foe LEO, after I have visually verified who they are.
As for entering an unlocked door, unless there is probable cause to believe a crime is in progress, they are actively pursuing someone, or a very few other exceptions, police cannot enter a private residence, whether the door is unlocked or not.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”