New CC pistol for the wife

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

TexasGal
Posts in topic: 1

Re: New CC pistol for the wife

Post by TexasGal »

My purse is sooo much easier to carry now that my firearm is on me instead of in it...but I imagine that argument has already been covered :lol:
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

NotRPB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by NotRPB »

Nice tuckable LCP holster with not much belt clip showing as it goes under the belt J-hook
galco tuc436 Tuck and go
https://www.google.com/search?q=galco+t ... 8&oe=utf-8

https://www.galcogunleather.com/tuck-n- ... _1320.html

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

Walther CCP 9mm
Smith and Wesson M&P Shield 9mm
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Topic author
karder
Posts in topic: 4

Post by karder »

TXBO wrote:I've got one. It rarely comes out of the safe. It's sole purpose is something to carry if I can't carry anything else. My wife and daughter both thought it would be perfect for them so they took it to the range one day. Both hated it. Couldn't get comfortable with the small size, didn't like the felt recoil and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it.

They both love a Glock 26 or 43.
Thanks for the replies folks. I appreciate the suggestions. TXBO's experience is what I fear with a gun that small. I think I am cooling to the under 10 oz Kahr.

For some reason I totally blanked on the Sig 238. That is what my BIL carries so she can shoot it and make an informed decision. It is a bit heavier than what I wanted but it may be a more sensible compromise in the weight vs recoil argument. At the end of the day, I think it will come down to the Sig 238 or the LCR. I appreciate the knowledgeable suggestions I always get from you folks.

:tiphat:
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

omegaman

Post by omegaman »

I have a Kahr P380. Very accurate for a subcompact pistol. Good night sights. Much better than my son-in-law's Ruger LCP. Only problem is with the feed ramp. Unless I have recently oiled the ramp, hollow point rounds get hung up often. I have been meaning to take it to a gunsmith to polish the feed ramp. Otherwise, I like the small size and light weight. I pocket-carry in a DeSantis super fly pocket holster when I can't carry something larger OWB.

Topic author
karder
Posts in topic: 4

Post by karder »

Update:
A few weeks ago my wife told me she wanted a lighter carry pistol for her birthday. Today is the big day and this morning I presented her with a S&W bodyguard 38. I spent a couple of weeks looking, and handled most of the major contenders (I got to shoot a few too) in the ultra small pistol/revolver category and I must say, there are some really nice options out there. Remember the days when a pocket pistol meant a crummy .25? Not anymore. I don't usually pay much attention to this segment of pistol market, so it was fun to play around with some of the offerings. Thank you to everyone for your suggestions. I think I looked at everything that was recommended on this thread.

Upon further questioning, my wife said she really would rather have a revolver. She has been shooting my GP100 at the range, and has taken a liking to the simplicity of the wheelgun. With that in mind, it finally narrowed down to the LCR, bodyguard 38 with crimson trace, and the S&W 340PD. I really liked the S&W 340. I know the recoil in .357 is reported to be a beast, but I figure I could load it with .38, (heck, I am thinking about going back for that one for me!). When all the consideration was over my dealer told me he was ready to move the bodyguard and would cut a deal, so that swung me over.

The Misses is very happy and is now pestering me to get her to the range so she can run it through its paces! After a good shooting session, she will be loading it up Hornady Critical Defense and it will be her new carry gun. Now I am going to take TexasGal's advice and try to get her to carry on her body rather than purse!

Thanks to All!
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

TexasGal wrote:My purse is sooo much easier to carry now that my firearm is on me instead of in it...but I imagine that argument has already been covered :lol:
Yours is the correct answer. Purses get stolen along with everything inside them.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

LosAlce

Post by LosAlce »

karder wrote:Update:
A few weeks ago my wife told me she wanted a lighter carry pistol for her birthday. Today is the big day and this morning I presented her with a S&W bodyguard 38. I spent a couple of weeks looking, and handled most of the major contenders (I got to shoot a few too) in the ultra small pistol/revolver category and I must say, there are some really nice options out there. Remember the days when a pocket pistol meant a crummy .25? Not anymore. I don't usually pay much attention to this segment of pistol market, so it was fun to play around with some of the offerings. Thank you to everyone for your suggestions. I think I looked at everything that was recommended on this thread.

Upon further questioning, my wife said she really would rather have a revolver. She has been shooting my GP100 at the range, and has taken a liking to the simplicity of the wheelgun. With that in mind, it finally narrowed down to the LCR, bodyguard 38 with crimson trace, and the S&W 340PD. I really liked the S&W 340. I know the recoil in .357 is reported to be a beast, but I figure I could load it with .38, (heck, I am thinking about going back for that one for me!). When all the consideration was over my dealer told me he was ready to move the bodyguard and would cut a deal, so that swung me over.

The Misses is very happy and is now pestering me to get her to the range so she can run it through its paces! After a good shooting session, she will be loading it up Hornady Critical Defense and it will be her new carry gun. Now I am going to take TexasGal's advice and try to get her to carry on her body rather than purse!

Thanks to All!
Solid choice!

:clapping: :thewave
LTC since: 4/26/2016
Carrying: Sig P938 :rock"

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

I have an NAA Pug that I don't carry anymore. First, I am distrustful of the safety notch thing. Second, I find it too easy to simply pocket carry something beefier, so I don't bother with the Pug. If I want a backup, I'll ankle or shoulder carry a second beef.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

My wife carries the S&W LadySmith 642LS. It weighs 14.5 oz and she still has trouble with her hands hurting from the recoil after range work. Not a problem for self defense, but a box of shells hurts her hands pretty bad. She likes the light weight, but would never want to shoot 50 rounds on the same day.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I just went through this with my wife. She despised the Ruger LC9s Pro. It was okay for me, but she disliked it. I sold it and bought her a Glock 43 and she loves it.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”