Shipping rifle to yourself

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
olafpfj
Posts in topic: 1

Shipping rifle to yourself

Post by olafpfj »

Searching on my phone was tiresome and I need to decide soon.

Sooooo....

I have an old mossberg 22 rifle that I purchased on my 03ffl when I lived in California. I purchased it because it was the same model as my uncles and it made my dad all nostalgic to shoot one again.

Moved to Texas but left the rifle with my dad. My dad is done borrowing it and would like to give it back. Can I just ship it back to myself in Texas? It is very much still officially my rifle so we arent playing games to skirt an ffl transfer.

I am currently in California visiting and need to decide what to do. Ship it, take it on the plane or play it safe and ship to an ffl?
"If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law." -Winston Churchill

MeMelYup

Re: Shipping rifle to yourself

Post by MeMelYup »

It's a rifle not a handgun. It's yours, your name is on the 4473. You can purchase a rifle in another state and take possession. Obey California firearm transportation laws.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Ship to an FFL. Not worth the potential hassle.

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

You may legally ship a firearm to yourself in another state.

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/doc ... f/download
6. May I lawfully ship a firearm to myself in a different State?
Any person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in the care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner “in the care of” the out-of-State resident. Upon reaching its destination, persons other than the owner must not open the package or take possession of the firearm.
UPS and Fedex won't let you ship to anyone but a FFL, so you will have to use USPS to ship the rifle.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”