Firearm insurance and appraisal?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
mupepe
Posts in topic: 9

Firearm insurance and appraisal?

Post by mupepe »

So my home insurance is state farm. It doesn't cover firearms in my normal policy. I'd have to take our a separate policy with them, but to even get a quote I have to get my collection appraised.

So three questions:

1) for those with their firearms insured, who do you have your policy with?

2) did they make you get them appraised?

3) any recommendations on appraisals?

Thanks in advance

RicoTX
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Firearm insurance and appraisal?

Post by RicoTX »

I use the NRA Insurance... I think it's 2500 coverage free for members and higher coverage available. No appraisal, no serial numbers, etc required if I remember correctly. Not sure how big your collection is though.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

RicoTX wrote:I use the NRA Insurance... I think it's 2500 coverage free for members and higher coverage available. No appraisal, no serial numbers, etc required if I remember correctly. Not sure how big your collection is though.
This is what I did except I payed to increase my coverage. I am an Endowment Member and I don't know how much the base insurance was, but I did increase it and paid the extra premium.

TexasTornado

Post by TexasTornado »

carlson1 wrote:
RicoTX wrote:I use the NRA Insurance... I think it's 2500 coverage free for members and higher coverage available. No appraisal, no serial numbers, etc required if I remember correctly. Not sure how big your collection is though.
This is what I did except I payed to increase my coverage. I am an Endowment Member and I don't know how much the base insurance was, but I did increase it and paid the extra premium.
:iagree: I have the basic freebie version of this for now.
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

I pay extra for the NRA insurance.

Topic author
mupepe

Post by mupepe »

Thanks for the link mikejarhead. I'll take a look.

Ill also look into the upgraded NRA insurance. The $2,500 basic that I have with them is too low.

Thanks, everyone.

brokedown48
Posts in topic: 2

Post by brokedown48 »

Farmer's insurance, no appraisal, no serial numbers, just had to tell them how much I wanted & wasn't very expensive.
NRA
TSRA
C&R

Topic author
mupepe

Post by mupepe »

brokedown48 wrote:Farmer's insurance, no appraisal, no serial numbers, just had to tell them how much I wanted & wasn't very expensive.
Thanks! I'll look into that as well. Do they cover accidental damage like the NRA insurance?

brokedown48
Posts in topic: 2

Post by brokedown48 »

Good question, I don't remember, I will have to find out, I have had the insurance for a number of years.
NRA
TSRA
C&R

JakeTheSnake

Post by JakeTheSnake »

Like the commercial, maybe you got the wrong insurance company?
Ours doesn't carve any non-covered items out. Sounds like state farm is anti gun.

Topic author
mupepe

Post by mupepe »

JakeTheSnake wrote:Like the commercial, maybe you got the wrong insurance company?
Ours doesn't carve any non-covered items out. Sounds like state farm is anti gun.
Oddly enough, their renters insurance covers firearms no problem. We were broken into some years back and they covered the stolen firearms with no questions asked. Homeowners doesn't though.

We've been looking at switching anyways and this might be the final push.
brokedown48 wrote:Good question, I don't remember, I will have to find out, I have had the insurance for a number of years.
Thanks. If you find out please let me know. I tried googling but got few results on specifics.

Kenneth77

Post by Kenneth77 »

I have really been thinking about this with me have quite a few guns and i did check with Allstate ( wife works for them ) and for me to get 30,000$ of coverage it would be around 200 $ a month to add to my policy so i am going to look for something cheaper .
leeproductsonline.com

o b juan

Post by o b juan »

I have had NRA insurance in the past and If I remember you only have to serial # the ones over $1,000.00 and it was about 250 yearly i think it was about 2% or 1 1/2 % annual
CHL Instructor since 95'/ School safety Since Jan 17' :patriot:

vjallen75
Posts in topic: 3

Post by vjallen75 »

mupepe wrote:So my home insurance is state farm. It doesn't cover firearms in my normal policy. I'd have to take our a separate policy with them, but to even get a quote I have to get my collection appraised.

So three questions:

1) for those with their firearms insured, who do you have your policy with?

2) did they make you get them appraised?

3) any recommendations on appraisals?

Thanks in advance
I would call your agent as far as the limits, firearms ARE covered under your normal homeowners policy (typically). I would suggest taking out a separate policy for your firearms. Why? They are very inexpensive and it for a variety of things.

Please note, I am licensed in Texas to talk about insurance and I do work for a State Farm Agent. PM me if you have questions I am happy to help
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”