Bore Snake Cleaning

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Bore Snake Cleaning

Post by Abraham »

I think after using a bore snake it becomes fouled and will spread gunk rather than remove it if it isn't clean.

So, what to do?

I fill a bucket with dish soap and water, put the bore snake in it and agitate.

Empty water, fill with fresh, agitate.

Do it once again.

Hang to dry.

What do you do to clean your bore snake?

...and no snickering...

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Bore Snake Cleaning

Post by Beiruty »

Same as you do. Use hot water and if you have a small laundry washer, throw it there alone.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Abraham wrote:I think after using a bore snake it becomes fouled and will spread gunk rather than remove it if it isn't clean.

So, what to do?

I fill a bucket with dish soap and water, put the bore snake in it and agitate.

Empty water, fill with fresh, agitate.

Do it once again.

Hang to dry.

What do you do to clean your bore snake?

...and no snickering...

Pretty much the same thing I soak the whole thing down in dish soap, agitate by hand, then wash rinse repeat a couple of times. I've heard of people putting them in the dishwasher, but Mrs. Jusme said "that ain't happenin' in her dishwasher!! :nono:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Bought a "delicates" wash bag that is different than the wife's (don't want to mess hers up!), put the Bore Snake in it, thrown in washer, delicate and small load setting, enough detergent to make the water soapy. Let is soak for 15-30 minutes and then run it through the cycle. Remove from wash bag, press out any excess water from brushes toward the ends and hang to dry.

If the washer isn't available I'd do the hand wash as noted above.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Pretty much same as above. I actually use Otis's "Ripcord" more often now than my Hoppe's Bore Snakes. The Ripcord doesn't have metal brushes, and has a rubberized core and a Nomex cover. For those reasons it's also easier to clean when it starts to get gummy. But same thing: warm soap and water; rinse thoroughly; air dry thoroughly.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

I've been trying out some 'DragonTail' brand bore scrubbers. Made from Kevlar fibers, no bristles. So far, I like them, except for the lack of a handle. I use a field expedient screwdriver handle when pulling the 12 gauge snake through a barrel.

Their instructions for cleaning are: luke-warm solution of liquid Dawn and water. 1 tablespoon Dawn to 1 quart water. Immerse, squeeze gently to work soapy water into the woven Kevlar fabric, let stand 1 to 2 hrs. Rinse with luke-warm water, squeeze out excess. Hang to air-dry only. Do not use chlorinated cleaning products. And unique to the Kevlar - avoid UV light as it degrades the fibers (don't put it on the wash-line outdoors).
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

koine2002 wrote:I have a Panda mini washing machine and spin dryer I used for laundry before I got a full machine. I use that for cleaning it. I wrap it in a small unmatched sock. I clean mine after every use. Of course, I'm getting married in a few months (first marriage, I'm a late bloomer), and I fully expect I'll be losing privileges on the washing machines as she wants to be a homemaker and has a very different version of clean than I do. I'll probably clean it the same way I clean my hats after that: soaking them in a bucket of hot soapy water for a while.
Carve out a room and/or garage/detached shop to call yours. Keep all your cleaning/reloading/etc/other hobbies there. It will help both of you to stay sane ;-) :thumbs2:
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

dlh

Post by dlh »

I have a big empty plastic apple-juice bottle I keep in one corner of my shop.

When it is time to clean I put a Boresnake in that, about a tablespoon of Dawn, hot water, and screw on the lid. Then I shake it around for a minute or so and let it sit for about an hour. I then drain it out into a large sink I have in my utility room and rinse the Boresnake with hot water then hang it up with a clothespin in the garage to dry.

Lots of fun and a nice clean Boresnake when done!
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

dlh wrote:I have a big empty plastic apple-juice bottle I keep in one corner of my shop.

When it is time to clean I put a Boresnake in that, about a tablespoon of Dawn, hot water, and screw on the lid. Then I shake it around for a minute or so and let it sit for about an hour. I then drain it out into a large sink I have in my utility room and rinse the Boresnake with hot water then hang it up with a clothespin in the garage to dry.

Lots of fun and a nice clean Boresnake when done!
I like it! I have never thought of cleaning my snake but this looks like the best way! :thumbs2:
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

koine2002 wrote:I have a Panda mini washing machine and spin dryer I used for laundry before I got a full machine. I use that for cleaning it. I wrap it in a small unmatched sock. I clean mine after every use. Of course, I'm getting married in a few months (first marriage, I'm a late bloomer), and I fully expect I'll be losing privileges on the washing machines as she wants to be a homemaker and has a very different version of clean than I do. I'll probably clean it the same way I clean my hats after that: soaking them in a bucket of hot soapy water for a while.
Congratulations on your impending nuptials. If your future wife is anything like mine, be ready for things to move around unexpectedly. I can set something on the counter as I walk in the door, and by the time I have grabbed a beer from the fridge, it is suddenly gone, or "put away" to use my wife's lingo.

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Wow, you guys have brought a ton of good information to this subject.

And, there are bore scrubbers on the market I've never heard of that I may give a try.

Some, it would seem, apparently do an even better job on the barrel than the Bore Snake.

Great!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”