Revolver help

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 1

Revolver help

Post by cmgee67 »

Howdy folks I'm lookin at possibly buying a little revolver for back up or pocket carry sometimes. It doesn't have to be hamerless but i prefer it. Can anybody point me in the right direction? Don't wanna break the bank on it. I'd like a 357 so I can shoot 38 spec out of it as well or a 38 would be just fine too. I am really lookin at the S&W 642 or the Taurus 605

atx2a

Re: Revolver help

Post by atx2a »

I have a Taurus 85, that I put aftermarket woods grips on, that acts as my bedside gun/backup. Definitely did not break the bank, and it shoots true. Nothing fancy, but it gets the job done. $300, or less if on sale, at Academy.
Austin, TX
Speak softly and have a helluva double tap.

yerasimos
Posts in topic: 2

Post by yerasimos »

The S&W 640 may fit your criteria also, as its hammer is fully covered and it can shoot both .357 Magnum and .38 Special, and is definitely pocket-carry capable in the right holster. However, it is heavier than the model 642, and will probably be more expensive than the Taurus that atx2a mentioned.

yerasimos

Post by yerasimos »

glock27 wrote:Ive got the 642 smith. If your looking for a pocket gun its a great choice. I had a 340pd awhile back. Its was absolute bloody finger punishment to put 50 rounds of 357 blazer thru it. And keep in mind that majority of folks who have a small 357 only load it with 38. So keep that in mind as price goes
Why spend extra on a 357 when your only gonna load it with 38s. Its a nice option to have but not in a j frame.
Good points here, glock27.

I have a scandium-framed J-frame (possibly a 340PD---I would have to dig it out to confirm) and can confirm that the full-house .357 Magnum loads are quite unpleasant in that gun, which is at least 3 ounces lighter than the 642 (.38 Special only).

Speer's short-barrel .357 load is better in that gun and the 640, but I have a hard time locating that product in the market right now; I do not know about the current availability of their .38 Special short barrel product, and do not have experience with any similar products by other manufacturers.

As I see it, availability of suitable ammunition should be factored into making a selection.

The 642 is a safe, default choice, plus I think S&W offers a version without the lock.

Rokyudai

Post by Rokyudai »

Check out a Ruger SP101
NRA Benefactor Member

rotor

Post by rotor »

I just got the Ruger LCR 38 special. Probably has the best trigger of the snubbie group. Rated to +p but I don't think I want to shoot +p in mine. These are quite a handful to shoot. My wife shot one round and put it down. I looked at the S&W 642 (163810) but they all had the internal lock system and I was not interested. Bud's has the ones without the lock (103810) but I couldn't find one locally. I would suggest that whatever you get see if you can rent or borrow one first. Try different ammo. If you go .357 and shoot .38 sp the gun will weigh more and be easier to shoot but it will weigh more. I will probably just use mine for snake shot. Otherwise in the safe.
I really like revolvers but if I had followed my own advice I would not have bought a snubbie. Am going to try some really light reloads and see how that goes.

wally775

Post by wally775 »

Hello,
I don't know what you EDC but if it is a 9mm then think about
the LCR 9. The other gentleman is right it has the best trigger and
in my .02 the best sites. Little bigger than the 642.

Also as stated, look at the SP 101. Will shoot 357 if wanted and the weight
is nice for any 38 load. Would not call it heavy but is heavier. In my opinion
the smallest imprint.

You did say pocket gun. This would lead me to lean toward the 642.
Easy shooting once you get used to the trigger and can be carried
just about anywhere.

Which one do I carry most? Primary or backup the 642.
Just my .02.

:tiphat:

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

I prefer the Ruger SP101 in .357 for shootability. The weight makes it manageable for followup shots when using 125gr .357. I bought mine (2.25" barrel) ages ago and had severe sticker shock when I recently saw them selling for mid-$700 (paid $388 for mine). A little research showed that they now have two lines of SP101. The new fancy ones are the 57xx series and the 'Talo' models. The plain jane early models are KSP321X & XL and those can be found in the $535 to $570 range. I've used the HKS jframe speedloaders with no issues.
5720 and KSP321XL are bobbed hammer
5718 and KSP321X are full spur hammer
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

I prefer the Ruger SP101 in .357 for shootability. The weight makes it manageable for followup shots when using 125gr .357. I bought mine (2.25" barrel) ages ago and had severe sticker shock when I recently saw them selling for mid-$700 (paid $388 for mine). A little research showed that they now have two lines of SP101. The new fancy ones are the 57xx series and the 'Talo' models. The plain jane early models are KSP321X & XL and those can be found in the $535 to $570 range. I've used the HKS jframe speedloaders with no issues.
5720 and KSP321XL are bobbed hammer
5718 and KSP321X are full spur hammer
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

I have the S&W 642 and it's a very nice piece. I did have to replace the stock grips because it really packs a wallop. I have large hands and it was causing me some pain in the webbing between thumb and trigger finger from the recoil. I put a Hogue Monogrip on it which covers the backstrap. No more pain. My wife likes carrying it in a fanny pack holster when jogging and riding her bike.

LimaCharlie3

Post by LimaCharlie3 »

I've carried a Taurus 85CH (5 shot .38 with concealed hammer, 1990's era) since early '90's. +P silver tips were a breeze to shoot. It was lost in a horrible motor vehicle accident and I have searched for a new one but am just about decided on a Taurus 85 and having a shop just remove the hammer spur. It's an inexpensive job and that gives me an option to go with a lightweight or traditional frame gun. But yes, the 85 is a fine weapon.

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

I had the Taurus 650. It had a spurless hammer, and was all steel -- hence .38 recoil was relatively mild. I forget what I paid for it, but I also did not get much for it when I sold it. I only put about 50 rounds through it, but it performed just fine.

I occasionally pocket carry an SP101 with a spurless hammer. It is also all stainless steel, and has very manageable recoil with short barrel medium .357 magnum factory loads. Pocket carrying this is not so much the weight as the bulge -- I need deeper pocketed pants or shorts. I routinely carry one or two of these pistols these days, but prefer combinations of belly band, shoulder holster, and/or ankle holster.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

gamboolman

Post by gamboolman »

S&W are what I have bought the wife and daughter and our son.

Fortunately, with time and practice they have moved to Glocks, Kimbers & Sig's. But the S&W's are still used depending upon the clothes
gamboolman
TSRA , GOA & NRA Life Member

TXRon

Post by TXRon »

We have an early 2001 or so Ruger SP101 in stainless steel with a spurless hammer. It is a beautiful revolver and weirdly enough, is one of the favorite guns my now 21+ year old kids love to shoot. Go figure! My wife and I like it too. It now has some level of sentimental value.

Not sure this helps but oh well...

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”